• 2 weeks later...
Posted (edited)

Not had any time at the bench lately as Mrs B has been on holiday so I have been forced to do stuff!

I have managed to get a coat of RLM72 on everything. I’m really not sure whether 72 is the lighter or darker of the colours (I’m hoping it’s the lighter). Edit: turns out it should be the darker colour but is wrong, see the next post.

IMG_9833-600x450.jpg

With only a few days left I doubt I’m going to get this over the finish line in time. I have already spilled some paint on it due to trying to rush so will have to repair that.

Duncan B

Edited by BlackMike Models
  • Like 6
Posted (edited)

Cracking on as best I can, masked off the wing for the next colour…..

IMG_9834-600x432.jpg

……and sprayed the RLM73.

IMG_9836-600x450.jpg

It was about this time that I began to suspect I’d made a boo boo and swapped the dark colour into the light colour position……

IMG_9837-600x302.jpg

……hmm, something definitely not right there so I went to the Merrick colour chips and found that the RLM72 (first camo colour painted) should be a very dark black green not the olive drab here. So by a bit of a luck I had accidentally painted what should have been the darker colour first but actually managed to get the correct lighter 2nd colour in the correct place anyway!

I will have to mask off and paint over that olive drab and paint with a darker colour.

That’s basically confirmed I won’t be finishing this by the deadline.

Duncan B

Edited by BlackMike Models
  • Like 5

My final update of the GB, sadly nowhere near finishing.

I have masked off the RLM73 areas on the wing ready for spraying a darker colour and have sprayed the fuselage with the left over 73 on the areas that needed it.

IMG_9842-600x371.jpg IMG_9843-600x420.jpg

I tested out some Mr Hobby RLM70 Black Green on the port sponson. It’s not quiet as dark as the 72 should be but it’ll do for a worn looking finish.

I will spray that on the wing and fuselage this weekend hopefully.

Sorry I couldn’t get this one over the line but thanks for the opportunity to get it started in the first instance.

Duncan B

• Like 9
On 3/2/2022 at 3:59 PM, BlackMike Models said:

In the meantime I am considering Steps 1a, b, c & d (cheaters, that’s really 4 steps!). I may also attempt step 2. however step 6E x3 and F x3 are quite appealing so maybe I’ll do them first?

Duncan B

What a bloke, I see your instructions and I urinate on them, orsum.

• Haha 2
  • 3 months later...
7 hours ago, Tony said:

Coming along beautifully,... I do like the Do. 24,.... I want to build an Aussie one! 

I didn't get much further with that one as the paint needs stripping off and starting again with the correct colours. An Australian one, must admit I've never seen photos of those? Did they operate the remaining ex Dutch East Indies ones or did they get them from somewhere else?

Duncan B

• Like 1
15 hours ago, BlackMike Models said:

I didn't get much further with that one as the paint needs stripping off and starting again with the correct colours. An Australian one, must admit I've never seen photos of those? Did they operate the remaining ex Dutch East Indies ones or did they get them from somewhere else?

Duncan B

The paint looked fine to me to be fair. Yeah the RAAF took over the surviving DEI aircraft. 

http://www.adf-serials.com.au/2a49.htm

http://www.adf-gallery.com.au/index.php?/category/dornier-do-24

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
On 7/16/2022 at 9:47 AM, RWG686 said:

On 7/16/2022 at 11:35 PM, Tony said:

The paint looked fine to me to be fair. Yeah the RAAF took over the surviving DEI aircraft. 

http://www.adf-serials.com.au/2a49.htm

http://www.adf-gallery.com.au/index.php?/category/dornier-do-24

Thanks for those links Gents, some really interesting information in there. They were all bags of nails by the time they arrived in Australia going by the info, u/s for more than 50% of their careers! Must have driven the techies mad.

Tony you have to do one in the RAAF scheme.

Duncan B

• Like 2