I’m in with a kit that has been in my stash so long it gets invited to Family reunions!

IMG_9787-338x450.jpg

Italeri’s 1/72 scale Dornier Do-24T is typical of their older kits in that it has a low parts count and limited interior but is generally nicely moulded. This kit has nicely recessed panel lines which is a bit of a bonus too. It comes with 3 decal options, one Luftwaffe, one Swedish and one Dutch (East Indies). I shall probably be making the Luftwaffe option to keep in with my collection.

As with all kits construction starts with the cockpit interior. 
Here you can see my initial progress….

IMG_9788-600x450.jpg

….who follows the instructions anyway?

Duncan B

• Like 8
  • Haha 2
Posted (edited)

Been a bit busy with stuff so not much time at the bench lately. I did manage to glue the wings bits together, that’s step 4 in the instructions. 
The parts fitted where they touched (which wasn't in many places) so I had to use epoxy glue which also helps as a filler.

IMG_9796-600x450.jpg

It should be hard enough to sand back later.

In the meantime I am considering Steps 1a, b, c & d (cheaters, that’s really 4 steps!). I may also attempt step 2. however step 6E x3 and F x3 are quite appealing so maybe I’ll do them first?

Duncan B

Edited by BlackMike Models
  • Like 7

Still plodding along when I can. I have spent a bit of time polishing the side windows flush and filling various gaps. The side windows were hideous lumps that stuck out  so something had to be done with them.

IMG_9800-600x415.jpg

The wings have had the epoxy roughly sanded down and some Mr Hobby Dissolved Putty (available at all good online retailers) run into the remaining gaps.

IMG_9799-600x395.jpg

The engines and cowls are still a work in progress but should be ready to nail on once the wing is cleaned up.

Duncan B

p.s. It’s quite a nice day today so I’m being ordered to get on with some more fence rebuilding so that’s me told!

• Like 6

It's looking great Duncan, looking forward to the rest of it. It's a beautiful day here, and I have to uproot and replace two garden corner posts that have rotted, so I feel your pain.

(Tomorrow is supposed to be rainy all day here in western Cain-tuh-Kee, so hopefully, I'll get some bench time myself. :)  )

• Like 1

Plodding along, wing seams cleaned up and started fitting the engines.

The float to fuselage joints are cleaned up and various sink marks have been filled.

IMG_9805-600x450.jpg IMG_9806-600x450.jpg IMG_9803-600x406.jpg IMG_9804-600x450.jpg

The gun turrets are designed to be trapped by the fuselage halves as they close together. I’d prefer to leave them off until after painting so working out how to achieve that is my next job.

Duncan B

• Like 3
Posted (edited)
14 hours ago, Paul Brown said:

Following with interest. I have one of the later editions with PE and 'super decals' including the rather tasty Spanish SAR livery.

It's typical Italeri of that generation, nicely moulded, basic and low parts count. The clear parts are typically chunky and there's not much interior detail (which suits me perfectly). 

4 hours ago, Mish said:

Taking shape Duncan.

It's an interesting kit to build because the wings and fuselage can be completed and painted separately then joined together (or at least that's my plan). I am hoping the struts that support the wing are strong enough and the right length otherwise my bold plan could come crashing about my ears. I'll maybe pin the struts anyway.

Duncan B

• Like 3

Fuselage slapped together this morning. What a job trying to juggle all the various parts in and close up. The cockpit tub was another fit where it touches item. Lots of joint filling in my immediate future.

IMG_9809-600x384.jpg

The turrets were supposed to be fitted at the closing up stage but that would just lead to broken gun barrels and more difficult masking. Instead I cut off the turret bases and stuck them in place. After painting I can just slot the turrets in.

Duncan B

• Like 5

I’m finished for the day. The fuselage has had its seams filling with Mr Surfacer 500 (as sold by all the best online 🏴‍☠️) and sanded back. A wee bit of rescribing will be needed but nothing drastic. The tailplane has been fitted too. The plan is to get it ready for primer tomorrow.

IMG_9811-600x374.jpg

The wings have had the landing light fitted, filled and polished as well as the various actuators and mass balances fitted so is just about ready for priming.

IMG_9812-600x450.jpg

Duncan B

• Like 4

I’m falling behind where I wanted be with this build. Partly due to not getting enough bench time and partly due to the kit needing more fettling than first anticipated.

The latest hold up has been the fit of the canopy which is a couple of my oversized. I have attempted to blend it in with copious amounts of Mr Surfacer 500.

IMG_9816-600x450.jpg IMG_9817-600x450.jpg

The canopy was dipped in Humbrol Clear before being glued on and was very clear but I notice it is starting to bloom but it’s too late to bother with now.

I did want to get this beastie primed at the weekend but am only ready for that now.

IMG_9822-600x450.jpg

Hopefully the next update I’ll be at the painting stage.

Duncan B

• Like 8
Posted (edited)

I’m a week behind where I wanted to be so have plodded on without a million photos for each swipe of the sanding sticks (much to your collective relief).

Since the last photo update I have given it a couple of coats of Tamiya rattle can grey primer and have fixed any surface defects missed previously. Rescribed some lost panel lines and then given it a coat of Mr Finishing Primer 1500 in black.

IMG_9823-600x416.jpg

I am having doubts about using a black base as it’s a dark colour scheme but this way has saved me a lot of time doing my usual pre-shading if the black base works ok.
Next up I start slapping some of these on.

IMG_9824-600x450.jpg

I’ll go straight in with the RLM65 on the lower surfaces but might use a lighter green as a base on the top sides as I want a well faded look (all the photos I have show the Do-24s to be very heavily weathered).

Duncan B

• Like 7

Duncan, that black primer looks great. Did that come out of a rattle can, or did you airbrush it on?  I bought some Alclad black primer to use on my current build, thought I'd give black-basing a try myself. I plan on using Colourcoats as well. :)

• Like 1
1 hour ago, dixieflyer said:

Duncan, that black primer looks great. Did that come out of a rattle can, or did you airbrush it on?  I bought some Alclad black primer to use on my current build, thought I'd give black-basing a try myself. I plan on using Colourcoats as well. :)

I am lazy and running late so I blasted it straight out of the rattle can. It levels out beautifully.

Duncan B

• Like 1