Mad Steve

SAVE THE DINGO (AND BEAVER)

Morning Chaps and Chapesess :) 

One of my bright ideas a few years ago was to build 72nd scale Bundeswehr vehicles.... Bought loads of them, built exactly one in that time. (This goes together with my other 2 bright Idea's of JGSDF vehicles and Rocket Launchers, and I build mainly cars...Confused? yeah, try being in my head :)

Anyway, this was the first one I actually purchased and was done so on the provisio that I understood it was 'started'. 

resized_3d98a9f4-d433-40e8-b624-cc039687

When I got it home I basically looked into the horrible end opening box,saw bagged bits and a few loose bits and that was that, it went in the cupboard.

Last night my head was suffering from airplane overload from the WW1 group build so I thought a nice easy 72nd scale would be just tickety boo for this chap.... Well!

resized_1b5598a0-5e80-4537-a817-14ef03da

After taking the time to actually look in the box and see whats what.... this is what I found. Started, yeah! :( 

Its just about finished. I'm not quite sure what it was painted with, but I have a feeling it might have been a domestic spray gun!. The chassis is fine, but the body is not.  Found the wheels rattling around inside the box, and the rest of the bits on the runners seem to be all present and correct. 

Think i'm going to drop the body into Dettol for a few hours and get that cleaned up, then proceed with rescuing the Dingo :) 

The other little gem in the box is the Biber 1 Bridgelayer, (or Bruckenlegepanzer if you prefer), based on the Leopard 1 MBT, and after a cursory going over that seems all ship shape and Berlin fashion, so I might even give that a go too :) 

Right then, the Dingo is going for a nice relaxing Dettol dip and I shall be posting a couple more things to, in the near future :) 

Do have a joyous and relaxing day and try not to freeze your bits off...

Mad Steve 

• Like 2

Afternoon Chaps & Chapesess from a wet and cool Joburg :) 

Right then, the Dingo's body has returned from its overnight at the Spa Dettol, and its looking refreshed and rested :) 

resized_501b22a1-8533-45fe-bc26-6c418033

I was wondering last night what green to use? Nato Green is too bright, its more like a Bronze Green, so I think XF27 Black Green will probably do nicely.... But then I thought I'm always painting stuff green, why not do one of the ISAF Afganistan schemes instead, so I'll decided tonight whether it will be the 2006 Nato Green/Black/Brown version or the later Desert camo :)

I've stripped all the interior out as well, so I can tidy that up, and it appears that with the chassis rolling around in the box, the right hand step ups have gone astray... must see if i can either make one. 
That's it for now :) 

Mad Steve

• Like 3

Morning Everyone :) 

A little progress on the Dingo 

I actually started spraying the chassis XF 59 Desert Yellow when I realised I still need to fix the step ups on the side. A no expense spared upgrade (a paperclip) and wallah. There is a small grab handle on the bonnet as well that was cut off and replaced with wire at the same time.

resized_c764e93a-e877-42c0-8507-f149f7ad

While I was at it, I built up the 40mm grenade launcher to stick on the turret. 

resized_746e4278-c2f1-40c2-bad2-e0384ec7

I'm still debating whether I should do the Desert scheme or not. I suck at camo, and even suckier at small scale. Either I'm just stupid or I'm not using my paint thrower properly but I usually end up painting small scale camo by hand, and then I don't like it and the kit lives the rest of its life in 'the box' :) 

Lets see how it all goes, maybe I should stop thinking about stuff too much and start doing more.

Right, that's it. More to follow.

Steve

1 hour ago, Mad Steve said:

I suck at camo, and even suckier at small scale.

Go for it! It's time to take the bullet buy the horns and bite the bull.

If fact jump in with both feet and do a complete Jackson Pollock of it:

H2-HollowTex-Green-200-180deg-95ol-sm.jp

To be helpful as ever, I'll show you a photo of a dingo in camo to give you some inspiro:

YmuF5_aexn4fOU3DyodM0wiEOFycnQc65TBOsddp

• Haha 1

Given that it looked like it was painted with a fire extinguisher first time around I doubt you'll make it worse regardless of whatever you try.

If you do go for a camouflage pattern finish remember that, one, it's good practice and, two, even the real things are not always perfect. For this latter fact I offer up the story of a few 'Lightweight' Landies that some clown resprayed without first bothering to even knock the mud off far less wash or rub down 9_9

• Haha 2

Afternoon Everyone :) 

Well now, I think the camo was a success....

resized_293b8e89-333c-463d-bf81-10d4a16f

First layer of XF 59 Desert Yellow, then when dry, the squiggly bits were hand painted XF 52 Flat Earth and when aaaaall that was eventually dry, a quick mist coat with XF 59 again to blend it all in, and I don't think it came out too badly. I'm quite pleased with the result. 

Dingo and Roland will be taking a short holiday now as I'm off down to the coast for a couple of days :) 

Mad Steve 

• Like 3

That looks good, 100% better than what you started with.

2 hours ago, Mad Steve said:

I'm off down to the coast for a couple of days

Have a good'un mad'un.

• Like 1