Sign in to follow this  
Che Guava

Camel Comfort Zone

OK. Had to pause for a bit of a think.

No, I couldn't leave the Academy Camel with the top wing squeue-wiff (I've never seen that word written down before!), so, deep breath and cut the front mainplane struts off at the top wing join, cut a milli-smidgin (I have the official ruller an' evythin'} from the length, pulled the wing forward, re-attached and held it in position for about a week-and-a-half till the glue set.

26da0b7d-4fc8-45cb-96fd-d0425dcd1aaa.jpg

Honest, it looks better in real life. (wonky wheel on the right hand Camel is just because the glue wasn't quite set when i sat it on its wheels - from a DH4 - to take the pic.

Does the left hand (Revel) Camel look like it has too much dihedral on the lower wing? That's how it came out the box. Oh dear. I fear another strut-snipping episode is coming on.

My 'never knowingly built out the box' ethos has once again taken over and I have ordered a set of 'colourful Camels' decals of gaudy training machines - well, RWG stole the decals from my Revell kit, and the Academy blue of the roundels is way too dark, so there's my excuse.

• Like 2

691a7cd2-043a-4f72-9013-ee9936082b78.jpg

And so, 'tis time to open up Aifix's 2f1. Last time I saw this re-released it was in the new series one red box range - that whole range suffers badly from 'box inflation', and this must have been one of the most disappointing to the unaware - so much box, so little plastic. The poly bag/header card packaging makes sense.

Wings: Top wing; slghtly curved, easily fixed. Lower wing; almost no dihedral, easily fixed.

Fuselage: Surprisingly nice, good surface detail. No internal detail.

Engine: Rotary reasonably detailed, though no cylinders showing at cut-out. No attempt at distinctive Bentley cowling shape.

Replace: both guns, wheels, undercarriage struts, interplane struts, propeller.......hmmmm!

Edited by Che Guava
  • Like 3

Usual first steps on airfix 2f1....

64a14c25-f446-40ba-8128-81cd3ed3aafe.jpg

After adding and painting some interior, tackle the shape of the cowling to adequately replicate the distinctive Bentley shape.

Some stretched sprue wrapped round the for'ard part of the cowling, then build up the taper from the rear. After smoothing that off, do the same from the front.

Then.....

2e50f6d5-331e-4042-ae0b-84b2657ebf10.jpg

....odd mistake on the design - the lower wing is moulded as if the wing aerofoil shape runs continuously through the entire span, so some 20thou plastic card is glued on to make up the fuselage floor to correct it.

This time, i already know which subject i am going to build (unlike the first two!), so can properly fair-in the space for the regular single Vickers armament which will be replaced by a pair of Lewis guns in the upper wing centre section.

Edited by Che Guava
  • Like 2

Meanwhile.....

52e00c2c-7c0f-44ea-92e7-b48ba140079b.jpg

....I did decide to replace the Revell interplane struts with slightly longer ones and adjust the lower wing dihedral. See comparison in top pic. Better! Also, with hindsight the original struts are too thick, so these cut-down DH4 (cream colour) ones are perfect (leftovers from a DH9 conversion where they are too narrow!). Also better!

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Che Guava said:

...after adding an painting some interior...

Masterful undestatement :unworthy:

• Thanks 1

On 25/03/2019 at 13:09, Che Guava said:

tackle the shape of the cowling

Remember the taper starts from the rear (so engine fits the fuselage without having to modify it)

It is a pain to do  as the cowling isn't any longer tan a Clerget one and the end result is almost unnoticeable but we know its there!

On 3/26/2019 at 11:05 PM, RWG686 said:

Remember the taper starts from the rear.... It is a pain

I've always known about the taper diminishing to the rear to make space for the greater height of the valve-gear of the Bentley at the front, but until you highlighted it, I'd not known how subtle a shape it was. I was also surprised at the extra fairing on the top. As you say... a pain - especially in 1/72 scale. New reading specs on order.

Edited by Che Guava
  • Like 1

Meanwhile, back in 1958.....

Reshaped cowling on Airfix 2f1 is looking quite good! Not so the 'hump' fairing to cover the Vickers guns housing (the 2F1 had only one, or no Vickers guns fitted - this model will have two Lewis guns at the centre-section and no Vickers). 

I painted the cowling in silver to show up any imperfections, and it did. Still, nearly there.

31721b26-fb96-4e79-abbe-62ccd2f2db71.jpg

• Like 3

33fbf479-6437-4d05-b4ac-22739f0a9dad.jpg

2f1 centre section too wide - filled and new cut-out. Really surprisingly quick progress on this wee model....

2ebf5edf-3e94-42e9-b112-5be8f295a6d1.jpg

Top coat of PC10, plus underside light blue. ("Ah!" I hear you say. "Surely clear doped fabric undersides")

All will be revealed presently......

• Like 3

And even more progress....

01e2f2a7-231f-4758-9ad0-b434788bed02.jpg

Decals from the kit. Lewis guns from Eastern Express Sopwith Strutter Interceptor (I had robbed this kit for the wings for a scratch-built DH1a, but loads of other useful bits - vickers guns, Scarff-ring, wheels, props - useful kit just for the spares!)

Although I've assembled the kit undercarriage, I can't leave the too-narrow struts in place, so at this late stage they'll have to be replaced.

• Like 4

2f1 new undercarriage struts made. Got rid of the giant 'brake drums' of the original and gave me a chance to replicate the split swing-axles in the weighted position.

85811806-864f-46ba-b497-0253c6fca525.jpg

(sorry about the juddery pic - there was a nuclear convoy going past the house!)

• Like 5

Airfix 2f1 nearly finished.....

0671422f-0f08-4626-bc89-32dcc80c3f13.jpg

0f6a1d5d-21ea-486d-bf02-0e50b8b80a6d.jpg

.....wing and undercarriage rigging done - stretched silver sprue. Rudder stripes fell off while i was rigging, so stuck them back on with PVA glue! Need to trim them, so didn't want to do the tail rigging or control wires yet. Serial number positioned near tail as per instructions - the real aircraft has the serial further forward...doh! Might try to remove and reposition it, or make a new one as the type seems a bit weak.

Oh yeh, and add prop from spares (ha!) box.

• Like 4

But colorful Camels not so nearly.....

fc364221-b118-426b-8778-a0fcac4b4072.jpg

7865e9a8-c49b-4e5d-b437-e2bbc7923fc5.jpg

b6f701ed-25c5-4f16-848f-b2fe41e3fb3d.jpg

58870826-8c7d-4376-9d83-295eaff9340b.jpg

.....because, while the decals are well printed and adhere well, they don't fit all that well, particularly the 'sunburst' one. I think i'd have preferred to have masked and painted the pattern. There will have to be a serious amount of touching up, and matching the red will be tricky.

The other thing is though - they are just so gaudy! I don't think I like the schemes!!! So, I think i'll press pause on these two for now.

(These home training base bods must have had far too much time on their hands, and too much spare paint.)

• Like 3

In conclusion (as they say on giant road tests) which is the best kit? All three are capable of being good models in the hands of a good modeller. But the amount of remedial work, sourcing of replacements for inadequate or incorrect components (engines really should be fixed too), and in one case replacing the decals, makes it more of a case of choosing the least worst. 

The Revell is slighly underscale. The Academy is the least 'crisp' in the moulding dept. I like the Airfix offering since it was the first (or second, i might have built a Spifire first) kit i ever built, and I'm suprised it still holds up well today. Mind you, the lower wing having ribs'n'canvas all the way under the fuselage is weird - did they design the kit with only the top-surface three-view drawing out of a Harbourough source?

Anyway, my recommendation is........

• Like 2

On 08/02/2019 at 11:15, Che Guava said:

We could do the fuel capaciity in olympic-sized swimming pools, and the paper requirements for the in-flight magazine in Quarto, Half-Imperial, Full-Imperial or even Double Elephant sheet sizes.

What's that for?,someone's "Friday Bentley"?(slurp-slurp,hur-hur-hur,fill me up,slurp-slurp)

On 09/02/2019 at 07:29, Col. said:

I can :blushing: They were properly tiny even in my child-sized hands back in a time when Waggon Wheel biscuits were HUGE!

Aww princess :cry:

This from you who had a proper :rant::censored: about a certain individual whom you thought had passed you some funny money at the model railway show 'til discovering it was legal tender xD 

Probably some of those dodgy "Scottish" fivers no doubt..............................

Much good work on these ancient kits of these equally ancient aeroplanes.

Edited by Miggers
  • Haha 1

On 01/05/2019 at 16:33, Che Guava said:

I think i'll press pause on these two for now.

No excuse now for not doing the 707's windows :evil:

Edited by RWG686