Blue Noser

Bob's Albatros DIII

Good day all!

Thought I'd jump in with this Group Build with my 1.48 Eduard Albatros DIII. I'm not much of a WW1 officianado and dont know much about German aircraft of that era (which is why I declared something totally different earlier). What I do know is that these kits are very nice indeed. I bought this a couple of years ago in my local LHS 2nd hand pile. I paid $26 which is around 15 quid so was quite happy with it. It's an older box but has a tiny bit of resin and a small etch fret.  Looking forward to cracking on with this over the weekend.

20190128_183617

20190128_183701

Hopefully she will sit nicely with my current rigging exercise, a F.2b crocodile, a slow process of one strand every few days so I dont lose my rag on it lol!

20190128_185330

Cheers now

Bob

• Like 6

I've made a start on this and best place to start is the internal wood. So here is my take.....

First up is a coat of very light brown, in this case I went for Model Master Acrylic sand. In my eye a bit too light but not a problem because I have lots more to go on. Not really standing out but I've started on the engine support in the center.

20190130_182247

Next up is almost a dry brush of varying darker colors. I'm using cheap acrylic paint starting with Yellow Ochre, then Raw Sienna and finally Burnt Umber. After the first pass of Ochre the wood is starting to form.

20190130_182329

Heres the internals after the second pass

20190130_183331

And the final darkest pass.

20190130_183931

It's a bit golden at the moment but I'll tone to down with some matt varnish, and we'll see what we end up with.

Cheers Now

Bob

• Like 7

This Group Build is already turning into one of the most informative GB's I've ever taken part in. Top tips abound and I'm enjoying seeing everyone's methods for dealing with the wood effects, we could produce a Modelling 'How To' Book on the back of this GB.

Great start so far Bob.

Duncan B 

• Like 4

So have been tinkering over the last week end, not a great deal achieved due to kids soccer (well I am overseas so can call it the s word!) and various other bits n bobs going on but there has been progress. I have now built up the cockpit which went together nicely. There is a bit of etch on the 'instrument' panel and the seat belts look quite nice. Not overly happy with my wicker basket seat but it will do I suppose, with hindsight I would have put in a leather cushion before securing the harnesses in but hey ho. So here is a couple of preassembly pics before I close it all up.

20190203_171502

I also look at the engine which has to go in before assembly. I had just bought some dull Aluminium from Vallejo and was looking at this for my Swordfish so I test fired it on my engine to see how it worked

20190203_172510

It looks like the shiniest of dull aluminium so let that dry and went for a exhaust colour, then realized the cylinders were black so had to paint them in. I also noticed lagging around some exposed piping, so rather than try and paint that in I experimented with a bit of white cotton, which from a standard distance of 5 ft away looks ok. Here is the engine fitted.

20190204_191452

Final task of last night was the main armament, these were resin and etch built up and look pretty nice in my eye!

20190204_190326

Just need to prime up and paint then we are good to go!

That's all the update for now, thanks for looking in

Bob

• Like 6

Good stuff Bob! 

Vallejo do a dark aluminium, don't know if that was what you had in mind.  
Certainly looks more than a tad bright for a dull finish! lol

• Like 1

Cant believe its been 4 weeks since an update! So here goes before joining the fuselage i needed to do something with that engine, i gave it a light coat of metallic exhaust to tone it down a bit and built it up. One thing I noticed was the lagging on the exhaust and i wanted to reproduce that. After much head scratching I thought I'd try some white cotton, having carefully wrapped it around I had the desired effect. At this point excitement got the better of me and I eagerly fitted the fuselage together without taking any photos! You'll be able to see the effect later.

The fuselage went together sweetly and I totally eliminated the join. I was able to prime and then the intention was to spray a base wood coat then do a wood effect. I also primed the majority of the rest of the parts. 

My problem now is my spray booth is in the garage and Jan - Mar is traditionally the coldest months over here in Nova Scotia and my garage barely gets above 5 degrees so spraying is a huge problem. I tried to spray the light blue underside but I couldn't get it smooth and had to rub down after every coat, after 3 coats I gave up and she sat idle for ages. Eventually boredom got the better of me and I thought I'd try the wood without a base coat on grey primer. I started with the dark coat and rubbed to down with micro mesh every time. Each subsequent coat got lighter, opposite to the way I did the internal. I think it looks a lot better. I also masked off the rear fuselage to give some different tones. Here's where we are now.......

20190302_150601

20190302_150609

20190302_150616

You can see I've also painted in the metallic parts of the airframe, this was with Vallejo med sea grey. I have also cleaned out the panel lines as they were totally blocked. I will run some colour in there after glossing. I'm going to spray gloss so I don't expect too much to be done in the next few weeks. I'll be digging out more kits and starting them off in the meantime. Until later, see yas!

Bob

• Like 4

The wood effect is exceptionally good, when I first saw it I thought you had used decals. The exhaust lagging looks good as well. I used very thin strips of masking tape and it turned out a bit out of scale.

• Like 1

Thanks for the encouragement, another 2 weeks pass so it's time for another update! In my last post I said I was going to wait and spray a gloss coat......well I got bored and it was still freezing so I applied a gloss coat to the wood area. I used a Vallejo gloss and thinned it way down so brush strokes wouldn't be too much of an issue and I quite like the effect, nice glossy wood finish!

20190309_131547

I also glossed the tail over the primer as the whole area would be covered with a decal. So it was on with the decalling! Previous attempts with Eduard kits have been quite pleasurable when it comes to decalling but this kit is quite early and also old so I had troubles. The tail checkers went on quite well but didn't react at all with micro sol, even after apply 5 litres of the stuff it just sagged a little. The first fuselage cross folded up on itself but I managed to recover it, so the rest proceeded with extreme caution. I just took my time.

20190310_174811

In the end it looks ok, but don't look too closely! So then I waited for the warm weather to come.......and this week it arrived (anything above 0 is warm for March, heck to be honest even -5 is quite toastie!). I got into my garage and hit those wings, the colours are a bit vague but Eduard cross refer to Humbrol and then I guesstimated it across to Vallejo and Model Master. Light blue for underside so used MM RLM 65, and they quoted cockpit green, brown and Brunswick green for the uppers. So we have cockpit green, dark earth and RAF dark green. Not quite authentic but who said modelling should be authentic!

20190313_192037

Anyhoo I like it and it looks good for me. I will gloss just the upper wing for the iron crosses, then will paint the other details and hopefully will start assembling this weekend. Trying to gauge the surface finish for now, wings are fabric so will just matt them all over, metal work will be matt but what about the wood? Gloss for varnish, semi gloss for a worn varnish or matt? Not quite sure yet.

Until later

Bob

• Like 6

It's looking good Bob, I don't think the Ground Crews would have been too bothered about what type of finish the aircraft had, probably too busy trying to keep it flying 👍

Cheers Andy