Gorby

Eduard Roland C.II (Gorby's one)

Just like Mr. Mad, my interest in the Roland was sparked when I was a nipper from the Airfix box art, but I never built it because as a young teen I had certain standards to live up to – build a WWI plane You must be mad! Even school boys have standards. I've grown up now (mostly) and it's finally time to build one.

I've been looking at the contents of this kit for a few weeks thinking “How am I going to do that?” and after playing around with it, it ends up done – accidentally of course :whistle:. It's own up time. I've done the exhaust thingy (it need some drillin); pierced one bulkhead and I've just generally cleaned up some of the parts. I've experimented with unnatural things like rigging, soft furnishing and transmuting plastic into wood using only the power of paint - but not yet on the kit parts themselves, in order to preserve the sanctity of the group build rules.

I thought that we were supposed to prove that I haven't progressed any further by, for example posing the sprues with that days newspaper, sort of 'holding for ransom' style; or with the date showing on your top of the range, super-smart moby phone – I'm sure I've seen that before somewhere (I wonder where?) perhaps you're more trusting here? Tamiya was interested in producing a kit of my phone – to add to their dinosaur range, so I'm glad I don't have to show my moby embarrassment. Anyway I'll finally stop waffling and give you the sprue shot:

xIjIfARHCafhCoaJ2AMkSdD2YZIPROmcMh9M3Z9s

And these are the kit parts that I've messed with so far, looks like I still need to clean up the bulkhead a bit:

sMNqD42VFMZpCqLXxHCO7JHHZV-BzT4jhTJwVQLX

I'd like to do a vehicle to go with it, but German, WWI, 1/48 & affordable - apparently I want the moon on a stick.

I'm not a fast worker, so they’ll be plenty of time for naps, and remember – if you don't raise your hopes you won't be disappointed. Thanks for looking

Gorby

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

Coolo Gorbs :) 

Edit - just remembered this 

https://wargamesbuildings.co.uk/28mm-Wargames-Figures/Sloppy-Jalopy/WW1-Interwar-Vehicles-1/48

They do a few WW1 era vehicles, non specifically German but there are a couple of Fiats :) and Eduard do 1/48th German WW1 flight crew, 4 or 5 figures in the box with dogs and bits etc 

Edited by Mad Steve
  • Thanks 1

I can't help but waffle – sorry.

If I'm particularly concerned about one part of the build, I like to tackle it as soon as possible. As I can't rig the thing before I've built it, my next major concern is making a reasonable stab at the prop. I don't know if you have seen the work of a modeller going by the name of 'Bughunter'. He's a proper modeller and does remarkable things like make laminated real wood props. Obviously, not being a proper modeller I don't expect to end up with anything like he makes. True to form, I only have one type of wood laminate available, so before the flag went down (or is it up) on the group build, I did a few experiments - using Tamiya XF-64, XF-52 and a darkish brown oil wash to colour the alternate layers.

OK, own-up time.

So that I could get a flying start, I Blue Petered one so that I could start carving the prop when the starting gun went. I've got a shed full of carpentry tools, but when I do the wood worrying, it's usually on furnitury sized stuff, none of those tools were suitable. So I carved (with a scalpel), filed, sanded and scraped the prop, I then used mineral oil to darken the wood a little and then splashed on a mix of 50% of X-26 (clear orange) and 50% X-35 (semi-gloss clear) to give a varnished look. Not perfect but I'm quite please for a first attempt (don't worry about the fancy bit in the middle - that will be completely hidden). I might have another go if I can be arsed.

3_ZxPXdGzuKmGuU5SC1ibDoveNwdphBLB6wxSrVv

I'm feeling quite smug because I've managed not to make a total hash of something else today. :smile:

Watching those 'how to paint wood' vids paid off - but I made two changes. Before I painted, I filed the plastic to give it more of a grain texture (only filed it because my coarse sand paper is in the shed and that would mean I would have to get off me bum and walk further than the kettle).

I haven't got the yellow ochre oil paint that was suggested as a base, so I used XF-55. In the morning I put smears of my available brown oil paints on a piece of cardboard as Darren suggested. After three hours there was a linseed oil slick around each blob.

IK6VwkpvGR5__dvYENgSecfW5o2EyphVUMjZT_wa

It then had a none to perfect coat of the lightest brown, then four hours later (testing it every two minutes to see if it was dry) I used my most scraggy brush to apply the other two browns quite sparingly. After that, I scraped it lightly with a small wire brush in the direction of the grain.

d1HITnOSZMNPREB2NUP91AizxJFC5CMxAbJwA8d-

I'll probably put some thinned X-26 (clear orange) on it when it's completely dry. There's a couple of other much smaller woody things, but that's the big bits out of the way.

Anyway, if any of you are still awake and can stand another instalment, I see you next time.

Gorby

Edited by Gorby
alteration
  • Like 8

1 minute ago, Mad Steve said:

Very impressive Gorbs, a hand carved prop, real high brow :)

Don't worry, it'll all be down-hill from now on.

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Gorby said:

I Blue Petered one

You made it out of a Cornflakes box and sticky backed plastic?  
Hope Val gave you a badge! :P 

Great work! Prop-er job, as they say in Cornwall.

• Haha 4

13 hours ago, Grunhertz said:

Nice one gorbs I've not got the bravery to carve my own prop 

Give it a go, it was much easier than I thought it would be and other than some heavy duty clamps, it was only modelling tools I used to shape it. The shaping probably took about half an hour.

This photo is taken at the end of the carving. I put the round piece of masking tape in the middle as a guide to help me shape the centre boss.

IYtrgSsJtp60TeMgSgyUfj_PWcQ803fMQXBMDh2W

11 hours ago, Walrus said:

Great work! Prop-er job, as they say in Cornwall.

:thumbup:

(That emojiwhatsit looks vaguely obscene (I'll have to use it more often :wink:)) 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, BlackMike Models said:

you make it look/sound easy.

Surprisingly, it is. I only hope the rigging turns out to be as easy. :S 

• Like 2

Something I was playing with yesterday is using Milliput (superfine white) for the seat upholstery. The thing in the middle is what Eduard provide for the gunners seat so I made the one on the right which is more like the WNW one, the pilots seat was completely featureless:

YcrdwVoHeUk93TVp8n74nxCIqRCvbcIvjwEjRAeZ

As I had the brown oil paints out I used the leatheryist looking one and then dabbed at it with a cotton bud to give some highlights. I had hoped to show these with the PE belts in place but seventeen hours after painting, they're still wet.

I'm pleased with the result, again not perfect, but I think they are an improvement on the kit parts and I'm not sure what is going to be visible anyway. Blown up ten times larger than life they look a bit crap, so stand about twenty feet away from the monitor, squint and then turn to face the other way. They look better now don't they? :yes:

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

No photos today because today has been less than exciting - so no boring photos, just some boring prose.

I've been trying to makes sense of where the rigging wires go and where I need to drill holes. It doesn't help that the Eduard and WNW rigging diagram don't agree - in fact they are so disagreeable I could call them family. Even if I choose the one that's most likely to be correct (WNW of course) it isn't obvious where some of the wires terminate, so it's been a bit of a guessing game.

It took me twenty minutes to find a hole today – I'm finding this uschi rigging stuff almost impossible to control. It's so light that it seems to be attracted to the side of the hole, the tweezers, itself, my fingers and the tidal pull of the moon, more than the need to do its duty and go through the bloody hole. More often than not when finally gets its act together and goes through, it decides that it really preferred the other side and I have to start again.

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRHHHHHHHHHH!!!! :realmad:

I would say that I'm loosing my mind but the search wasn't successful last time. Counting to ten wouldn't be enough but it's too cold to take my socks off.

Not a fabulous day, I think I'd have more fun shampooing a leopard.

:raincloud:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Youd need an awful lot of shampoo for a tank that big :)

im not even starting to think about rigging yet.... It makes my head hurt 

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, Gorby said:

No photos today because today has been less than exciting - so no boring photos, just some boring prose.

I've been trying to makes sense of where the rigging wires go and where I need to drill holes. It doesn't help that the Eduard and WNW rigging diagram don't agree - in fact they are so disagreeable I could call them family. Even if I choose the one that's most likely to be correct (WNW of course) it isn't obvious where some of the wires terminate, so it's been a bit of a guessing game.

It took me twenty minutes to find a hole today – I'm finding this uschi rigging stuff almost impossible to control. It's so light that it seems to be attracted to the side of the hole, the tweezers, itself, my fingers and the tidal pull of the moon, more than the need to do its duty and go through the bloody hole. More often than not when finally gets its act together and goes through, it decides that it really preferred the other side and I have to start again.

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRHHHHHHHHHH!!!! :realmad:

I would say that I'm loosing my mind but the search wasn't successful last time. Counting to ten wouldn't be enough but it's too cold to take my socks off.

Not a fabulous day, I think I'd have more fun shampooing a leopard.

:raincloud:

I'm guessing you've drilled right through? So here's what I do in this situation 

A. Head magnifier

B. Tweezers two pairs of and I tend to use a pair of self closing for one pair (actually its a cheap spring clamp on one pair) 

Now using the strongest magnifier you can thread your line through (this can be tricky but it does get easier trust me) use the self closing tweezers to hold the thread you've put through while you get your glue. 

Dab of thin superglue into the reverse side of the hole 

Wait for it to dry then trim the excess. 

If you are using a blind hole then dab of superglue into the hole and hold the thread as still as you can while it dries 

Another method is to brush a small amount of accelerator into the hole. Apply a sma amount of super glue to the end of the line and place the line into the hole you will get an Instant bond. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Sorry about the radio silence on this build, as far as the modelling is concerned, it's been a bit Dickens here – the best of times the worst of times. Partly because of that inconvenient 'real life' thing getting in the way and partly due to the anti-fun I had on Tuesday, I wasn't in the mood, this is all that I managed to 'achieve' on Wednesday:

53ioURdSeTVhhPUC4UoA4LyhEpnZiLs4aV0V6UDm

I glued two bits together – pathetic isn't it. With trying to put the rigging through holes and photo etch machine guns, I think this build has cost me about three years of life so far – not feeling the love for WWI builds yet.

Wednesday was the worst of times, but I was really on fire on Thursday and Friday (how is being on fire ever a good thing?). After I was extinguished I managed to get loads of modelling done as well.

I'm a very organised person, so I don't know why chaos follows me around. This is a photo of my work area Thursday evening.

T64z947RmH49-wibR7u3bmqx58FXD1jWldFe2kIm

It shamed me to tidying up, but for some reason it's just as bad today. It's a mystery.

I can't believe I'm at the zipping the fuselage sage already! Normally it would take me about a month before I get here. At least it should give me two months to do the rigging.

This is me internals:

2THN1SAUimKu7f3we1AuwjEGggJERg_Jq8aTEa0w

Zm1DFgIZuBRtjGGx8FCKaU5uOfMQy-uH8j80tu0E

KuWyIqOZ7AdnCDtWgG4_w1n5oxh37kwJPuEAUmbz

The last photo has the major stuff I scratched – it may not be 100% accurate but…… don't care.

Thanks for having a gander.

Edited by Gorby
alteration
  • Like 5

Like the tour of the office, especially the child seat...

96suds3j5hhh9o96g.jpg

Looking really good Gorby!

Edited by Walrus
  • Haha 4

10 hours ago, Grunhertz said:

Looks great gorbs all aircraft should have a schnapps flask 

Thanks Darren.

13 hours ago, Mad Steve said:

Looks fantastic Gorbs :)

Thanks matey. 

:thumbsup:

Not had much chance to do anything today other than finish off the two machine guns – something else I didn't have much fun with. Why do we do this to ourselves? :wallbash:

The only change I made is to add a full length metal barrel inside the cooling jackets.

drdM0k0trfO2e9jdbOsjD6wKm6hg8gD4yukyHemb

Not to be outdone by Che Guava, to be as unhelpfully as possible I've shown them with an 1943 Indian half Anna to give you absolutely no idea of scale, unless you're an ageing Indian with a bloody good memory.

• Like 4