Walrus

Meng 1/35 Whippet

Thanks Gorby.
I have a similar filing system 

Like I have this excellent notion of keeping magazines with articles that will provide reference for a project then never use them.
And perhaps worse, forgetting to use aftermarket parts on a kit for which they were purchased 

• Like 1

Just finished painting 20 little wooden blocks with their 4 nuts and washer with end flanges 
I've gone as goggle eyed as a Roland CII

57f0lis5r50fihc6g.jpg
My replacement nozzle has arrived so now I can get back to the tank itself 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Primer on and some pre shading with Vallejo Khaki followed by a coat of Vallejo US Olive Drab
I've never pre shaded a model before.  No disrespect to those that pre shade white on black, I feel that it can be a bit strong and wanted to see how it would work with less of a contrast 

pf4w3fxzpxb2o6y6g.jpg

zqudiq1ctnhdm666g.jpg

ahgu6uzy7sfdsgh6g.jpg

fh66z9q43at59976g.jpg

Next the tracks, some varnish and the ID stripes 

• Like 2

Thanks Darren

Confession time.  
TBH I have done very little modelling over the last month due to spending most of my time in bed, where it has been more comfortable and at times warmer.
I have a very important form to fill in next week and a lot of housework to catch up on which will leave me with very little time and energy for anything else. 

What I have been able to do is a wash with oils and I'm waiting to put another coat of varnish on before the ID markings and decals go on 
It's looking like I am unlikely to hit the deadline all things being equal, but I'll do my best.

At least it's been very enjoyable taking part and watching everybody else do such fabulous work, as well as all the nonsensical chit chat that has helped keep me sane
So thank you all.  

• Like 2

That's a shame, I love a good whippet (it's an odd fetish, but it makes me unique). :blush:

Mind you silver lining and all that – less competition. ;)

• Haha 2

Pip pip! Finally got around to doing a bit of modelling and made some belated progress on the Whippet. Huzzah!!

nzf6yjs4q43d0356g.jpg

he5wh5leisa9e746g.jpg

The first track was a bit of a pain to get on but once I'd sorted out a way to manipulate and hold everything with just one pair of hands I got the bugger on and the second tack went on first time.

Just need to seal in the decals do some touch ups, more weathering and it should be ready for the 150th anniversary of the end of WW1. 
Which would be cool as I would be a hundred and nine years old, you know!

Going to try using pigments for the first time, so wish me luck! 

Edited by Walrus
  • Like 5

Thanks chaps, much appreciated.
Sealed in the decals and will let the Klear cure.  

Sadly I forgot to do a bit of chipping beforehand 9_9

Thanks Invictaag
Disappointed to not have been able to get it done and included in the gallery, but apart from a bit of mild cursing at the first track it's been an enjoyable build.

Decided to use my MiniArt "Country Road" diorama as a base.  It doesn't seem worthwhile starting a new thread in WIP for it, so will bung it in here.
Hopefully the next images of the Whippet will be in the AFV Completed Gallery.

The Country Road set contains a vacformed diorama base and two halves of a stone wall.  
There is also an injected sprue for a cart, which I have built but is slated for a different project.
TBH I'm not sure that these MiniArt Dio sets are good value, but I've been living in Yorkshire too long 

mct9caqvdjbq1vq6g.jpg

As can be seen I sculpted over the join with Greenstuff.  
One issue I had with the base was that the tracks are level with the rest of the base rather than being typical ruts 
I used a mix of universal filler/PVA and water to build up the base to the sides and in between the track imprints.
This was then covered with Vallejo ground paste which I'm not sure about.  Could probably mixed something up myself.
But it looks okay

Also added some Pegasus large stone bricks which were broken for the fallen masonry.

h2hrs1cx5a8878h6g.jpg

y9v7x6b76s48enc6g.jpg

Painting has begun with Vallejo applied with a brush

1wkci9hyiwm286y6g.jpg

And of course I couldn't resist checking out what the Whippet might look like on the base (before painting)

j5a69yrzdgoz5c86g.jpg

399h561v2p5r0xv6g.jpg

A bit more painting to be done and then it's on with the grass!

• Like 2

We’re still here with you Paul, the base may take at least as long as the Whippet, but it deserves it 👍🏼

Cheers

Paul

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Grunhertz said:

Looks good Paul would you like me to move this to the wip armour section 

Thanks Darren 
I wasn't intending to do much more with this thread but I'm starting to reconsider how I approach the project .
So on reflection it may not be a bad idea, as it would allow me to add more progress pics if I feel it may be of some benefit
If it isn't to much trouble and you think it would be better to move the thread, please do so.

8 hours ago, Toolmaker said:

We’re still here with you Paul, the base may take at least as long as the Whippet, but it deserves it 👍🏼

Cheers

Paul

Thanks Paul.  
I'm hoping it doesn't take too long! lol
Planning on a fairly "dry " scene, as I imagine the Whippets would have been seen during the more mobile later stages of the war.