RWG686

Roden Sopwith Camel F1 (with a Revell Sopwith Triplane on the side)

Always ignore the sensible voice in your head.
What's the fun of taking big strides forward when you can take twice as many going backwards? 

Most of the fun is sorting out the problems we make.
(That's what I keep telling myself, though I'm not convinced)

Good work RW :thumbsup:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

Just boring stuff tonight so unless you want pictures of plastic dust and emery cloth,no photos.

I think the engine cowling fix worked but I've given it a good coat of Tippex which hopefully will complete the smoothing out process.

The cockpit interior detailing really was a waste of time as practically nothing can be seen. Sods law of course.

The fuselage was warped in three directions and was an absolute pain to join. Superglue was used at one point. 

The hump which will have the guns mounted is too narrow. Judicious use of very strong melty stuff (forgotten the trade name) and a clamp made an appearance.

By this time my attention had wandered and I was wondering if I have time to bin the Camel,drive to Stirling, steal the moulds for an SS1 RNAS airship lurking in @Che Guava's workshop and be back before the build deadline.

Camel got a reprieve and hopefully will clean up ok tomorrow.

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

57 minutes ago, RWG686 said:

By this time my attention had wandered and I was wondering if I have time to bin the Camel

Just bring it to Stirling, I seem to have opened a care-home for aged and disabled kits.

Edited by Che Guava
  • Haha 4

Arthritis played up somewhat so got nothing done yesterday.

Looks like I managed to save the engine cowling so will continue with a Bentley Camel.

Here's the engine and cowling (which despite @Che Guava's camera tutorial is still a crap photo)

810d51c9-56a7-46c8-8f7e-84e2ce46ffed.jpg

Looking at the pictures of the restored Camel B7280,I am not convinced they have fitted a Bentley engine.

From my research in a couple of Sopwith books,B7280 was fitted with that engine with the associated differences in cowling and hump so she will be finished as such.

This photo shows how the hump comes over the cowling

29180504810_c5318349ca_o.jpg

For such a tiny beastie,she doesn't half fight you. The fuselage is in five bits and every join needed filling. That job is done and I have fitted the engine.

The modification to the hump has been started using 'Green Stuff' as its such a small area.

For once I listened to the voices and finished there.

Tomorrow I will try photographing the thing in daylight and see if I can get sharper results.

Edit.

The opening on the engine in the real aircraft there looks smaller then the one I've made. Looks like more research needed in the hope  that I don't need to try and add an insert.

Edited by RWG686
Additional info added.
  • Like 5

3 hours ago, RWG686 said:

The opening on the engine in the real aircraft there looks smaller then the one I've made. Looks like more research needed in the hope  that I don't need to try and add an insert.

I think you are right about that. it does look smaller, but maybe that's because the outer cowling is bigger. I'll see what I can find. That Bentley cowling is a really subtle shape - never noticed before!

12 minutes ago, Che Guava said:

but maybe that's because the outer cowling is bigger.

If life was only that easy!

Even so,mine doesn't look right despite enlarging the cowling and building in the taper to the fuselage.

I have a cunning plan ..watch this space.

10 hours ago, RWG686 said:

......I have a cunning plan ..

Oh, Hell.....I can see a name change request coming..........

The question is...what will it be?......Blackadder or Baldric.....

• Haha 1

29 minutes ago, phoenix54 said:

As cunning as the scot Cunning McCunning? 

And does it involve getting cream custard from a cat? 

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

28 minutes ago, phoenix54 said:

Oh please, not Cynthia again....😍

• Haha 2

I thought I'd show you where your shares in Modelputty and Tippex are being put to good use.

I have the front of the cowling made and it will be attached later

The white will mostly be rubbed away but I find it useful as a quick drying filler for smaller areas although this time I had too much on the sponge so just wiped it all over.

Once that lot is sanded off I will be scribing in the different shaped panels and restoring some of the lost detail.

Ignore the pencilled markings. That was me just getting a rough size before I go looking for a suitable letter.

1450d536-2160-42fc-8fdd-b154dd273f72.JPG

6a7c884a-0a0e-4771-88a1-aa9468c0e307.JPG

resized_d25f1f14-ee59-4eea-83d1-e4ea199f

The camera fairly shows up the amount of work awaiting me..shows how knackered my eyes must be!

Edited by RWG686
  • Like 2

Has anyone ever finished this kit? It is close to becoming the only kit I will have binned.

What on earth kind of plastic does it have? I was carefully sanding back the fuselage/ cowling join and the whole thing came to bits. Guess it was alergic to the filler!

I cleaned it up,being very careful around the surfaces to be glued. Plastic weld didn't work, liquid poly didn't work and neither did tube glue. It is as if my extensive use of three different fillers has made the plastic impervious to glue.

Out with the superglue and zapper stuff. Will now probably be unable to sand it as it is set rock solid.

Whilst I left that aside I had a look at the decals. Wish I hadn't. All of the roundels have colour run and are useless.

If @Che Guava gets the drawings to me I'll probably have the scratch-built Denny Mumford helicopter finished within the time frame!

( To save you the effort of  using google,here it is)

4967275889_fdfa4f321a_b.jpg

• Like 2

1 hour ago, RWG686 said:

Has anyone ever finished this kit? It is close to becoming the only kit I will have binned.

Only if you don't count the ones you gave me! Get an Airfix 2f1. Start again.

Weird you mentioned the Denny-Mumford. I had rhe references in front of me an hour ago. Can't draw stuff yet though.

Edited by Che Guava
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, Che Guava said:

Can't draw stuff yet though.

I'll need to have a word with your physiotherapist.

Here I am doing my part by getting rid of the junk in my stash arranging a fine collection of models for you to work on and build up your strength whilst she seems to be slacking. :D

As to starting again..I did look at the Revell Triplane..mistake.

Bristol fighter..saw Roden.

Donnie has an Airfix O/400 ..mmm?.

• Haha 1

12 hours ago, Jessie_C said:

They had the right idea,

If the work hadn't stopped for the first World War,who knows what would have resulted.

They flew it in 1905,probably the world's first helicopter to lift and fly under its own power  and it was really the lack of a suitable light weight engine that made it so unwieldy. 

They had a design which only had one rotor which I am still researching

All of this took place less than 20 miles away from me as the helicopter flies.

I'm off to work on my TARDIS.

• Like 2

R, @RWG686 are you fickle or what? What gives with a D-M helicopter when you have a range of F-K designs to go at?!!

Also stop picking on Che @Che Guava not his fault he can't draw at the moment.......he may only be at the crayon stage............sorry, my mistake, though you'd put psychotherapist......:blushing:

• Haha 3

31 minutes ago, phoenix54 said:

What gives with a D-M helicopter

No chance of any misconceptions ? :stirthepot:  and the fact that @Che Guava and I have been studying it for a couple of years so I am confident that nobody can refer to me as "an idiot" :stirthepot:       

You must admit that it is some machine though.

Can you imagine if they got a  suitable engine for the single rotor design,we may have had an operational helicopter in WW1.   Gunship what if anyone? 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, RWG686 said:

I'll need to have a word with your physiotherapist.

I wouldn't if I was you.... due to an unfortunate typo of mine, Physio the rapist is now on 24 hrs police watch and the sex offender's register.

• Haha 3

IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT.

The Roden Camel refuses to die so I'm stuck with it.  (Does it still qualify as a kit if it is made out of a tube of filler) I can't understand how such a little thing's fuselage could be so warped whilst the wings are perfect.

You'll be pleased to know I didn't bother to photograph the sanding. This time engine and cowling stayed on and slowly beginning to look the part. 

I gave in and also started cutting plastic on the Revell Triplane . Quite a recent press from a very old mould so it is almost a vacform!

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, RWG686 said:

(Does it still qualify as a kit if it is made out of a tube of filler)

You will remember that I had a Reliant Scimitar as daily transport that was pretty much made out of a giant tube of filler, and it qualified as a car, or the RAC wouldn't have towed it home so often.

• Haha 4