RWG686

Roden Sopwith Camel F1 (with a Revell Sopwith Triplane on the side)

May I pick the collective brains please?

B7280 was built for the RNAS and delivered to 1 Squadron. It should have the Bentley BR1 engine with the wider cowling with the rear taper so the fuselage didn't need to be modified and the 'hump' extending over the top of the cowling.

This info gleaned from a couple of Sopwith books and a couple of friends whose area of interest is that era.

Here is a photo I took a couple of years ago in the museum at Krakow of the restored aircraft.

Note that the 'hump' doesn't go over the cowling.

Is the cowling tapered at the rear?

Is the green cowling accurate?

Thanks.

resized_bda302fc-b83c-441c-8960-86a32173

Being a complete heathen on anything that flies.....

Does WNW not do a Bentley engine one? I've always found the instructions section on their website a fountain of knowledge :) 

• Like 1

WnW do indeed do a Bentley BR1 engined Camel. I don't have one in stock at the moment but understand that the Wingnut Wings website has links to the instructions for each kit, 32070 in this case. The USAS boxing of the kit might also have the Bentley cowl in it and I do have some of them in stock so will take a look and report back.

In the meantime here's the link to the Wingnut Wings page for the BR1 instructions: http://www.wingnutwings.com/ww/productdetail?productid=3150&cat=4

Duncan B

Edited by BlackMike Models
  • Thanks 2

That's great Duncan.

The photo of B6391 in their archive shows the shape I'll now try to copy!

Note. Just as well this build is finished before Perth or Mrs BlackMikeModels would have off-loaded one on me.

(She almost sold me a 1/48 Phantom and I don't build 1/48! Duncan's secret weapon she is :D)

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

5 hours ago, RWG686 said:

That's great Duncan.

The photo of B6391 in their archive shows the shape I'll now try to copy!

Note. Just as well this build is finished before Perth or Mrs BlackMikeModels would have off-loaded one on me.

(She almost sold me a 1/48 Phantom and I don't build 1/48! Duncan's secret weapon she is :D)

You might have developed a taste for rigging by the time Perth comes around :)

Duncan B

• Haha 1

Oh look..it's February the first so I'd better get started then...

Here's the kit with a 50p piece to give you an idea of how big it is :D

resized_857a1ba0-a632-45ad-8c6b-737339b0

Fair amount of flash to clean up ,a new cowling for the Bentley engine to be dream't up and something @BlackMike Models calls rigging needed so straight forward then.

Alas that's all for the moment as the freezing but sunny outdoors beckons (ok wife needs to go to the supermarket and I'm the driver.)

• Like 8

Thanks for the info on the decals.    I'm not sure of the blue colour but will discuss later.

Started work on the Camel earlier.

I take it a progress report with photos is expected in a group build? Let me know if I waffle on too much.

Cleaned the flash from wings,tailplane and fuselage.

Bit of paint to simulate the wood panels. Ribs will be painted darker later. Don't know why as none of it can be seen.

Ailerons removed as I want them to have a bit of droop like most pics show.

Very very small holes drilled in elevators. Sticky up bits for control wires will be fitted later.

Top wing marked for enlarging the hole as B7280 had this. Since then I've also noticed that the curved bit was enlarged and squared off too.

Photo is crap but you get the idea. 

1868057d-1bf1-4007-89f8-c7e949e40794.JPG

Forgot to tell you about the seat.

As it looks nothing like a woven basket type,I will try and make a new one using the metal gauze shown to the right of the seat.

Edited by RWG686
  • Like 6

Great start mate and that's basically how we go about it. Keep people updated with a bit of progress as you go 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

18 hours ago, RWG686 said:

Let me know if I waffle on too much.

You call that waffle! You've obviously never read any of my WIP. 

They make yours look like a note for the milk man.

• Haha 4

I climbed the ladder into the workshop at 1930 and got to work.

Enlarged the wing cut outs and started on the new seat. I cheated a wee bit on the premise that there was going to be a leather cushion for the pilot to sit on so I wasn't going to try and make a woven base.

Base is a scrap bit of plastic card and the fine wire gauze,cut to shape, is attached with superglue.

I took a photo using the phone camera and it wasn't until later when viewed on laptop that I noticed the seat had fallen over and just looks like a blob.   It will have to do as it has been painted and will reappear later on in the cockpit build.

I'll need to use the proper camera too I think.

My Siamese cat was going nuts and screaming up at me (He's 20 and can't climb up into the loft anymore) and I realised that it was 2110 and he was looking for his supper.

Not a lot to show for 1 hour 40 mins work is it?

88144703-e2c1-4444-a05d-bbe5d20b2993.jpg

• Like 6

Nice start.  Don't worry about 'waffling on', I tend to write War and Peace on each of my WIP posts. Milliput is good for making the seat cushions so I'm led to believe.

DB

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, BlackMike Models said:

Milliput is good for making the seat cushions so I'm led to believe.

It is, that's something else I've been playing with - hopefully I'll post some pictures later today.

• Like 2

Who said nostalgia ain't what it used to be? (Oh wait, it might have been neuralgia.), Since its been about 50 years since I built a Camel kit, I'll be watching this plagiaristically.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

I spent a couple of hours on this today as I am away tomorrow and won't get back til late and I don't want to lose the momentum and get more diverted than I already am  (Did I mention the Shavrov Sh-2?)

I don't have a macro lens so am using the close up facility which is still pretty dire,so again apologies for the crap photos. Perhaps by April I'll have sorted something out.

The engine and cowling were the starting points today.

In the photo at the top is the kit cowling.

The shaded area to the left shows how much more the front of the cowling needs to be in order for the bigger Bentley engine to fit.

The rear of the cowling stays the same so that no modifications are needed to the fuselage. This means creating a tapering round thing!

At first I was going to cut the kit cowling into 4 pieces ,add inserts and use putty to create the taper.

Thinking ahead and foreseeing an almighty cock-up where I am left with no cowling,I decided to leave it well alone in case I need to revert to a Clerget engined one.

My new approach was to make it in two parts. The rear part is a much cut down F-14 Tomcat exhaust. The front I found in the spares box and cut down. Fortunately it had really thick plastic.

Since taking the pictures the engine has been mounted inside the rear part,the front part glued on and the whole thing smoothed with putty.

The engine was one which somehow escaped a migration to @Che Guava's stash. I think it may be an Aeroclub one.A quick wash and paint and I think it looks fine. I may have to add a wee bit detail to the cylinders exposed when I cut out the base of the cowling.

The fuselage got a wee bit detailing and I added footboards to the cockpit floor/frame.A couple of wires added to simulate the control wires underneath. (waste of time I found out later as none of it csn be seen)

The seat still looks like a blob but trust me it actually looks ok in situ.

Right,think I covered everything so here's photos.

8f51bdf3-9eb5-4e32-aa3b-b0dd6cc5a447.JPG

433fe7e2-ca30-4fef-b3de-c9665a23c30c.JPG

Edited by RWG686
  • Like 7

You know that wee voice in your head that tells you that you shouldn't really be doing that?

Well,I ignored it because I didn't do any modelling yesterday and April isn't to far away really. (Not like Christmas which is 323 days away :D)

Last job I did was using filler on the cowling so it got a rub down and I must say that I was delighted with my new engine cowling.

You know the other sign that you should stop now,like the drips of blood appearing on the workbench because I had unconsciously rubbed my forehead thus opening a cut from a bump a couple of days ago.

I ignored that too and spent half an hour carefully cutting out the gap at the foot of the cowling.

Here's what I achieved.

27d07f94-3a02-499f-9003-37e3ca8bcb4c.jpg

That's a shiny 10p to show you the scale.

Notice anything else?

Remember why I didn't use the Clerget cowling as described earlier?

I've done a lovely job of cutting out the gap in the front of the cowling instead of the rear.

A Clerget engined Camel then?

No chance! On with the fix.

A suitable thickness of plastic rod filed to the correct contours and carefully cut to size.

Ping goes the tweezers and the piece disappears off stage left,never to return.

The last remaining piece of rod in the thickness I need didn't bend very well so a quick heat with the lighter kept ready for such purposes should assist.

Guess what? It didn't. Now I need to find a use for the bent blob.

Thick card filed to contour and carefully bent,cut to size,inserted and glued with excess superglue in lieu of filler.

Voila:

c912fdc9-cfdb-439b-ab20-0aa51559fc2c.jpg

leave well alone until tomorrow.

In the photo is the cockpit assembly with fuel tanks,seat belts and control column added.

I was going to press on and assemble the fuselage,again ignoring the voice but the cat was shouting for his supper...

• Like 5