Mad Steve

(FINISHED)Zvezda 1/72 Iskander-M SS26 Missle Transporter/Launcher

Afternoon Chaps :)

This one has been lurking in the background for a bit.

I've always been intrigued by missle launchers, especially the soviet stuff, and that started with the old Airfix SAM missle set :) I've slowly been buying up the odd one or two over the last couple of years and this one came along last year, so home it went with me.

resized_4ed8f795-5087-49a2-9b04-22809b62

Never built a Zvedza kit, (or any other russian kit for that matter) so I was quite looking forward to it

I have been seriously impressed so far. It fits together like magic, nothing warped or short shot, but there are quite a few ejector pin marks to deal with but it looks like they have tried to hide them as much as possible.

The Chassis is huge, well over 50 parts and the fit is magic.

resized_0a909644-b019-44a3-b242-35c424ce

The cab and engine covers are busy drying in the paint department at the moment, so no photos there at the momemt, but the missle section is well underway :) 

resized_45b28225-74d3-452f-8db3-a394f61c

Made a bit if a boob here. The door covering the missles on stop. I'm just waiting for it to dry so I can finish fitting the doors then I can undercoat them and get the whole doodah painted. 

So not much to show at the moment, literally watching paint dry at the moment so that I can start on the cab :) 

So, more later :) 

Steve

Edited by Mad Steve
  • Like 3

Woohoo another update :) 

Finished putting the cab together. I was a bit sceptical of the fit because its all beveled joints, but it goes together rather well :) 

resized_a2688250-30c1-40e3-b0c1-19a832df

And the huge engine cover as well...

resized_6d46db47-d965-4735-8bbc-78e843e4

Still busy with the doors on the missle section, and now I can start doing a bit of a wash and weather on the chassis and cab :) 

Lateeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeer 

Steve

• Like 3

Interesting subject, but is this some sort of blitz build Steve?

Have you had the four minute warning?

• Haha 1

Afternoon Chaps :) 

Must say I am really enjoying my foray into small scale armour again, needed it to kick start my mojo.

Wife has gone to the hairdressers and shopping so I have been left unsupervised for the day :) 

Earlier this morning I put all the body bits together to see how they all stacked up...

resized_f9fc9a70-05f9-4737-9267-ac439851

This actually brought about the only criticism I can find about this kit, the way that the cab and engine cover are located and fastened to the chassis. The Cab is sort of ok, but the engine covers fit is so precise that when you paint the item, the locating bits don't fit properly. Bit of scraping and filing and its all hunky dory. 

After that I decided to dirty it up a bit. 

Now I believe that 72nd scale vehicles shouldn't be heavily weathered because in my opinion, they just don't look right. All the pictures I've looked at of this vehicle show them to be quite clean and well looked after, so I've just decided to go for a light dusting of road grime. 

This brings up an interesting thing though, because the missles have quite a glossy finish.... so lets see how this pans out. 

Anyway, here's the pics (btw, I didn't paint the windows purple, its Maskol - and yes, someone did ask me that once :) )

resized_f3a711ff-a35e-48b2-9827-f4e5ce7c

resized_24ca3cbc-46e4-4f3a-9c05-10ad0be3

resized_6524d517-6a2e-4e3c-a9ba-1b1d0aa1

Right then, shall be onto the missle launchers and shooty bits next.

I have been reading up on the SS 26 Missles and they really are not very polite and would definately ruin your day if they dropped on your head.

More later  

Steve 

Edited by Mad Steve
  • Like 4

Afternoon Chaps & Chapesess :) 

No photo updates today, but I have been enjoying this build so much that I thought it must be quite something in 35th scale, so I ordered this...

e52a9c21-019d-4bab-bee5-4fa84c455181.png

I think it will go very nicely with my Trumpeter Scud B and SAM 2 missle lobbers :) 

Mad Steve 

That will be ENORMOUSE! :shock:

But it will be an ideal nuclear strike force, to counter next doors yapping dog. 

:) We go back to Caveman style with that thing, big rocks :) 

It would appear however that they seem to be preparing to move, so joy happiness and dont forget yer dog 

16 hours ago, Gorby said:

That will be ENORMOUSE! :shock:

Gorbs, this should give you an idea of the size of the 35th scale one. :) 

This the the updated Scud B Launcher from Trumpeter, very similar chassis in design and size. (without any of the bodywork on its 33cm :))

And no, I didn't try painting it leopard spots, I dropped a cup of coffee on the empty box :) 

resized_d7b89a90-61f1-4790-83d7-ad39782d

• Like 4

Afternoon Chaps & Chapesess :)

Some of yer akterual progress on this beastie.

Finally got the rest of the missle bed together. The folding top mechanisms are extremely finicky and really are only there to make sure the top section doesn't droop. 

Sprayed everything Dark Green yesterday, and did a light over spray of Flat Earth this morning, and will do a little bit more now that everything is together (just a bit of Drybrushing). One very big thing you might want to take into account if you have this kit, is put it on a board or something because the cab and engine cover are mounted in a very fragile way. 

resized_0c1ceaa6-4c4b-4897-a151-210bed15

resized_ae8d4415-d017-4e23-9602-c4d82eb2

Thats about it for now :) Busy painting the rest of the bits to go on and have to clean up my desk for the start of a GB tomorrow. 

More soon 

Steve 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Gorby said:

That does look one hell of a mean looking beastie.

It is rather hey :) 

I was looking at the Topol launcher yesterday as well, the 10 wheeler. Its about half the size again of this one :) 

• Like 1

Afternoon Comrades :) 

Well basically the launcher is finished, and the missile bits are drying off in the paint shop :) 

Rest of the bits and bobs added to the cab, the hand rails were made from copper wire because the were just so thin they broke.

resized_bd367555-2c02-4960-bbf0-034dc784

resized_f58db0a8-2338-4749-aec0-45b950c2

If you don't hear from me again, you can assume correctly something went wrong loading the nuclear missiles :) 

Mad Steve

• Like 1
  • Haha 2