I have a few choices.

51820540236_d641db08ca_b.jpg

51820654578_4e55fc6ff9_b.jpg

I will entertain votes for which one I ought to build until the end of the weekend, then I'll get started. The thread title will change once the desired victim subject is chosen.

And the votes are in:

NotCalypso 0
Liberty Ship 5
I-400 2
Cutty Sark 2
Schwimmwagen 0

Also, just for Richard, because I know he gets anxious about this kind of thing.

51819592092_2fb87e7d0f_b.jpg

51820654528_72bb08baa9_b.jpg

Just a little bit past the required 'no more than 25% started' rule. The only aftermarket I'm using are the decals and the Falcon canopy, nose and wingtip light cover. Kit parts are serving as masks right now. I did a small bit of detailing in the cockpit and everything else will be OOTB.

Edited by Jessie_C
the people have spoken
  • Like 3
54 minutes ago, Jessie_C said:

Also, just for Richard, because I know he gets anxious about this kind of thing.

What a relief, that saves me taking a pill 😧 (unless you need more scans)

Jeremiah o Brian for me too.

• Like 1

The Liberty Ship O'Brien.
Thought about getting one for this GB 
Did some research, and it looks really cool when completed 

Which is why someone else should do O' Brien for the GB! xD 

• Like 1
  • Jessie_C changed the title to 1/350 Liberty Ship

So there it is. Boring grey merchant ships seem to be the hot property here in this group build. But I've fooled you all! My Liberty Ship is going to appear as a generic post-war merchant ship, so it won't be boring and grey :P

I'm aiming for something similar to this:

atw04.jpg

• Like 9

Nice choice, shame I wasnt paying enough attention to vote! But would have opted for this anyway. I have mine sitting at the bottom of a pile of greyness but never thought of doing it as a post war, great idea! Much more interesting!

3 hours ago, Kevin said:

i bet you also finish it before  my SD14 is completed

Let's be fair here. Mine is about 30 cm long stem to stern, and the hull is 4 pieces including the screw and rudder. It most sincerely can't be compared to the masterpiece you're doing out of card of all things!

• Like 3

So what do you get inside the box of a Trumpeter Liberty Ship? Let's take a look:

51827478374_08efbd1ef8_b.jpg

Upper and lower hull

51827478349_cc2b2dfc29_b.jpg

The rest of the upper decks

51827478314_536e08b096_b.jpg

Deck houses and hatch covers

51827861005_006cf810c4_b.jpg

And lastly, 2 identical sprues of tiny fiddly bits

51827135611_3ee2306132_b.jpg

• Like 6
21 hours ago, Jessie_C said:

Let's be fair here. Mine is about 30 cm long stem to stern, and the hull is 4 pieces including the screw and rudder. It most sincerely can't be compared to the masterpiece you're doing out of card of all things!

well that's certainly the case now

23 minutes ago, Kevin said:

well that's certainly the case now

I'm betting that with the right paint you can still make it look like it's been the centrepiece of a shipbreaking. It's just a little farther along than you had originally planned.

• Haha 1

The building commences! First, solve a fit problem. As moulded, the lower hull slightly underhangs the upper hull, so it needs to be forced just slightly outwards with a few lengths of nice thick sprue robbed from the Alanger Typhon kit.

51833209294_23a522cb0d_b.jpg

Now it fits nicely

51832966088_ce72963a28_b.jpg

4 pieces later, the basic hull is complete

51833209284_1fdd1d6d10_b.jpg

Trumpeter made a couple of mistakes with the screw and rudder. The screw's blades are too broad for a Liberty ship, the keel extension to the bottom of the rudder is too thin, and the rudder is one piece rather than the split balanced Liberty ship rudder. I'm not going to let myself care about those so it's straight out of the box.

51832856456_3bc4339d6f_b.jpg

The real screw and rudder looked like this

Building_Liberty_ships+%25281%2529.jpg

• Like 5