Sign in to follow this  
Winnie

RN Westland Lynx HAS.3 ICE XZ246/434

Posted this question on the "other" board, but no reply.

I just got the Revell Lynx HAS.3, which I now plan to build to the HMS Endurance scheme. I planned on making my own masks, which I have now done, I just need to verify the sizes of lettering, roundels etc. Obviously I will use the basic decals, they seem ok, but I have a stencil cutter now (actually the wife does, but she allows me a cut or 2 now and again) and wanted to play!

The "ROYAL NAVY" lettering should be 200mm tall in full scale, the roundel 300mm, side number (434) 200mm, the reg is 100mm, color Dark Sea Grey. the only font I have been able to scrounge up is an "RAFSTD" which is a true type font, but I am not certain it is correct, even if it looks close. 

My original question was which font to use, no replies to be had, didn't find anything (for free anyway) for the RN, but I DID find the RAFSTD, which seems appropriate?

Also with regards to the kit, I'd be interested to learn things needed to be modified, other than the tail rotor driveshaft cover. anything to remove in the cabin? is the 6 seater metal/canvas seat ok, or does it need to be an inflatable one (which I don't believe exist in 32nd, and I wouldn't be able to scratch anyway).

Anyway, any help is appreiated!

Regards

Harald

Try this: http://www.bobsyouruncle.net/font-types.htm

Personally I'm slightly sceptical about fonts for codes etc, traditionally there was no such thing, but the relevant orders would contain something like Codes of Practice with illustrations and dimensioned diagrams to show what the characters were supposed to look like. As with a lot of things, it could be subject to interpretation with regards to actual signwriting. Granted that nowadays with the advent of cutting plotters, then stencils or vinyl decals in a specific font are pretty much a given. I'd still go with photo references of the specific airframe and working up individual characters from first principles in a vector drawing programme. 

• Thanks 1

Thank you sir!

Actually it seems that is exactly where i got the RAF font... I use Inkscape for drawing the vectors.

Cheers

Harald