Airfix 2022 Announcements

As tomorrow will be the big reveal for Airfix's 2022 catalogue seems we can get the Airfix bashing off to an early start with what I suspect was an erroneous email for the kit that @Grunhertz has been waiting for all his life.

a17001-1.jpg

I'll start.
Not my scale.
It's another bloody Spitfire.
They should have included Flt. Lt. Patrick "Snoddy" Snoddington-Henry's MkIX in which he shot down an entire flight of migrating geese.

More exciting news to come 

• Like 2
  • Haha 6

Sure it'll be a big seller and they seem to have given it plenty interior detail.

https://uk.airfix.com/products/supermarine-spitfire-mkixc-a17001?utm_source=ActiveCampaign&utm_medium=email&utm_content=New+Super+Kit&utm_campaign=Airfix-+New+Kit+-+week+41+21%2F22

Quite what else they're coming with is another matter but it seems strange they've pre-empted their own big announcement with releasing details of the main event.

• Like 3
5 minutes ago, Walrus said:

They should have included Flt. Lt. Patrick "Snoddy" Snoddington-Henry's MkIX in which he shot down an entire flight of migrating geese.

As Van Der Total-Bores  24 volume compendium of the "Goosey Ganders Incident" ( the True Story of Snoddys great air battle) tells us on pp 1234-1235, one of the "Geese" was a pigeon: It will interesting to see if Airfix re-issue this with the correct goose/pigeon complement when they re-tool for the proper 1/18 scale . And oh why couldn't it have been a 1 :4 of My Samsung Washer Dryer? Now there's a model we have all been crying out for.

• Like 1
  • Haha 5
7 minutes ago, Gorby said:

Not my thing but it's about time they stopped flogging the dead-horse, 52 year old kit.

Quite so! 

Once again Adam Tooby* has done a great job on the box art. 
Very evocative of the morning of 6th June 1944

*Assuming it is Adam's work. 

• Like 2
18 minutes ago, Col. said:

Quite what else they're coming with is another matter but it seems strange they've pre-empted their own big announcement with releasing details of the main event.

It's now up on Facebook with a video, which has also been posted on YouTube

• Like 2

I do like the look of this.  I know Spitfires aren't everybody's thing, but I like them - not fanatically, but I like them, and a new, high-quality kit is very welcome.  As @Gorby said, it's time they let the old one fade away.  I will await some reviews (pretty sure I won't have to wait too long), and may treat myself to one at some point, assuming I can find somewhere to put the damn thing when it's built!  I wonder (here beginneth the speculation!) if they'll do the same with the Bf109 someday - maybe a Gustav, with a tropical option?

• Like 2
1 hour ago, Col. said:

The announcement was tied in to the Spitfire exhibition at Duxford and apparently they were there today. It was pretty much given away in advance on their website.

43 minutes ago, Grunhertz said:

I'm staying very quiet 

1176289983_Carrell(2).gif.d2c9e33c9df0cf2c0b9a81656e35ab94.gif

Thought they'd have included MH434.

I've just announced I'd like one,but after seeing the price,Mrs M is suddenly fiddling with a 12 bore,

so on that footing I think I'll pass on it..........

No doubt Spadegrip will be on his hands and knees to Mrs Spadegrip,so I'll warn Mrs M that she'll probably get

a phone call about borrowing a 12 bore........

• Haha 4
22 minutes ago, Grunhertz said:

Can someone buy it and review it so we don't have to 

I'll probably get one.

1 hour ago, Miggers said:

Thought they'd have included MH434.

I'm sure @Grunhertz will be thinking of doing a nice set of masks. If not, I might be persuaded.

• Haha 1
18 hours ago, Grunhertz said:

I'm staying very quiet 

Really? I wonder why

14 hours ago, Grunhertz said:

Can someone buy it and review it so we don't have to 

All ready ordered and happy to do a review.

10 hours ago, Grunhertz said:

We already have camo masks MH 434 won't be a problem 

I was winding if they could be used/adapted

16 hours ago, Grunhertz said:

Can someone review it so we don't have to 

Anything to oblige. Here is my review:

It's from Airfix, it's too big. It's too expensive. It can be painted in more than one but less than three colour combinations. It will probably sell well. It's a Spitfire.

Review done, just let me know if you need anything else reviewed.

Duncan B

• Haha 8

i think they have missed an opertunity yet again  

if they wanted to produce a kit in this scale that is a) an aircraft used by the RAF to appeal to UK buyer   b) an aircraft used by other air forces to appeal to other markets, especially USA   c) a kit that will create plenty of work for the aftermarket decal and gubbins makers      then theres plenty of other subjects they could have done

P47?....F86 Sabre?....Hawker Hunter?

even take a gamble on something like a MiG 15 would have an appeal due to the wide choice of schemes/users

the hellcat came out only a couple of years ago and thats already no longer in the catalogue so that wasnt that popular, was it?  i think this scale has a limited market............how many get bought by people who see it on launch and go 'ooooo got to have one of those' for it to sit in the stash forever then get put on ebay a few years down the line cos they realise its too much of a kit for them to do?

• Like 1
37 minutes ago, beowulf said:

F86 Sabre?....Hawker Hunter?

Terrible ideas.
I'd really want them but know they would never get build
Why splash out over a ton on a big kit that will gather dust in the stash, when I could buy 5 kits that would gather dust in the stash. xD 

• Haha 7
31 minutes ago, beowulf said:

i think they have missed an opertunity yet again  

if they wanted to produce a kit in this scale that is a) an aircraft used by the RAF to appeal to UK buyer   b) an aircraft used by other air forces to appeal to other markets, especially USA   c) a kit that will create plenty of work for the aftermarket decal and gubbins makers      then theres plenty of other subjects they could have done

P47?....F86 Sabre?....Hawker Hunter?

even take a gamble on something like a MiG 15 would have an appeal due to the wide choice of schemes/users

the hellcat came out only a couple of years ago and thats already no longer in the catalogue so that wasnt that popular, was it?  i think this scale has a limited market............how many get bought by people who see it on launch and go 'ooooo got to have one of those' for it to sit in the stash forever then get put on ebay a few years down the line cos they realise its too much of a kit for them to do?

I think the big Spitfire will probably sell reasonably well, there must be a reason they have kept the 50+ year old previous mould in production for so long. The fact that the Hellcat has disappeared from the Airfix catalogue would suggest to me that they have sold all the kits they produced in the production batches they ran. (I would bet they only did one production run of a few thousand kits in any case). 

At the model club I used to attend we had a visit from Trevor Snowdon (ex Mr Airfix kit Production Boss) and he explained the business model that they use. Basically they will run one (or possibly two production runs if it turns out to be a huge success) of a particular kit and once they have sold out it has paid for itself plus some profit and that is it until such times as they want to reissue it. In the case of the Nimrod for example it was 5000 kits, the Nimrod was still lurking in many a Model Shop shelf until fairly recently so you can tell it wasn't a particularly great seller so is unlikely to ever get another production run. 

Duncan B

• Like 2