Gorby

Hs 123A. Italeri's finest mojo mangler (or - I should have gone to Gaspatch)

With the WWI group build looming, I thought I'd show you my only biplane build to date. I say my only biplane, I've built two, but both of the Hs 123, the other one was 1/72 and a few million years ago when Tamiya dinosaurs walked the earth.

I'm my own worst enemy (although there are others who may believe they deserve that honour, please form an orderly queue). I always think to myself 'how can I improve that', which translates as 'how can I make that as complicated and as time consuming as I possibly can'. I knew that I would have to re-scribe it, but after years of running scared of re-scribing, I now find it quite therapeutic, and god knows, I need therapy.

So….

All the flight surfaces were razor sawed off; the cockpit was almost completely scratch built; the engine and exhaust was 'improved'; most joints needed some degree of filler (a masters degree in some cases); anything remotely drillable got drilled, anything fillable got filled and I considered buying shares in Albion Alloys.

I have never had a 'shelf of dooooom', if I start a kit, I finish it, but this kit got me thinking which shelf would be the most appropriate. Not because it was difficult, just because dealing with all the 'fit' problems became dreary. It was progressing like it was being worked on but a ageing, lethargic sloth, with narcolepsy, which isn't that far from the truth. To cut a long story short, there are less irritating skin conditions with Latin names than this kit. Packed in with the sprues, each kit should be equip with a tube of antihistamine. So after five months of this spasmodic, laborious, Sisyphean task, this is the result.

The unpainted panels are what the kit provides. The full floor has been removed; seat brackets added as well as the forward bulkhead; the instrument panel was flat, featureless, and the joy stick wasn't up to the job.

404784-20442-12.jpg

I scanned the scheme from the instructions and after resizing and printing, I made my own paint masks, which made the painting much easier.

404786-20442-31.jpg

404788-20442-62.jpg

404789-20442-49.jpg

404790-20442-22.jpg

404791-20442-49.jpg

404792-20442-68.jpg

404793-20442-63.jpg

404794-20442-73.jpg

404796-20442-52.jpg

Improvements to the kit parts; replacements of parts and new additions are too numerous to mention. This view shows many of the external improvements.

404797-20442-84.jpg

404799-20442-83.jpg

The flaps are moulded closed, but I thought I might as well make my life more complicated than it already is.

404800-20442-98.jpg

My build review is: 'Buy Gaspatch'.

Thanks for looking, comments and sympathy welcome.

Gorby

• Like 9

2 minutes ago, Jessie_C said:

The final result was definitely worth all that pain

I'm not sure about that, I think I've lost part of my soul in the process. Serves me right for being a cheapskate, it was a nasty, nasty kit. I'm not sure who conquered who, but it certainly put up a good fight.

Thank you both for your comments!

Top marks for having the determination and skill to finish it, and very nice it looks too. I started one of these (the Revell boxing) a couple of years back and had purchased the Neomega resin engine  and cowling set for it at the time of purchase which was a few years earlier still (this becomes important, I shall be asking questions at the end!).

What an evil thing it was to work with but I slowly plodded along, hacking the kit nose off to make way for the resin replacement only to find that the top half of the Neomega/Vector cowling was missing from the set. Neomega wouldn't even acknowledge my emails and phone calls so that was the end of that. (anyone who wants an incomplete engine and cowl set give me a call, I might even throw in the kit too).

I have since bought the Gaspatch one and it sits patiently waiting for me to hone my skills to the point where I won't make a pig's ear of a very beautiful looking kit.

Duncan B

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, BlackMike Models said:

What an evil thing it was to work with but I slowly plodded along, hacking the kit nose off to make way for the resin replacement only to find that the top half of the Neomega/Vector cowling was missing from the set. Neomega wouldn't even acknowledge my emails and phone calls so that was the end of that. (anyone who wants an incomplete engine and cowl set give me a call, I might even throw in the kit too).

It really was a horror that nearly killed my mojo stone dead. You should consider the missing part of yours, to be more of a blessing.

I would do about half an hours work on it and then get peed off and stop for the day. The next day I would think 'It can't be that bad', but after another half an hour work, I would realise that it most definitely was.

If you have the Gaspatch one I'd have the Revel one put down, none of this painless stuff either – it needs to suffer. :2guns:

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, Gorby said:

It really was a horror that nearly killed my mojo stone dead. You should consider the missing part of yours, to be more of a blessing.

I would do about half an hours work on it and then get peed off and stop for the day. The next day I would think 'It can't be that bad', but after another half an hour work, I would realise that it most definitely was.

If you have the Gaspatch one I'd have the Revel one put down, none of this painless stuff either – it needs to suffer. :2guns:

The Revell one hasn't been seen again since Gaspatch arrived. 

Duncan B

• Like 1