Winnie

Airfix F-4 FG.1 Phantom 892 NAS

OOB, I did one!

It was a bit of suffering to get it together, but it looks good from far, but far from good. I do realize the goof on the serials... I was thinking about it and telling myself not to for hours, but still goofed...

nJT72B4.jpg

UYm2RlH.jpg

HGOuiFk.jpg

Wit9tAJ.jpg

Edited by Winnie
Spelling...
  • Like 12

3 hours ago, Winnie said:

but it looks goof from far,

I wouldn't say that!  Looks anything but goofy! ;)
Nice work Winnie  

Looks good to me. The only colour scheme a Spey Phantom should wear. Those stencils are a good few hours work aren't they?

Very good looking build Winnie 👍 Mine is at the decal stage and has been for some months as I really don't like the decaling stage and all those decals is my idea of hell😋

Is this aircraft flown by Cmdr J Bond by any chance? 😉

Edited by mac1677

On 19/01/2019 at 02:39, Winnie said:

I do realize the goof on the serials...

It's not going to be shown upsides down and we won't tell :innocent:

Lovely model..thanks for showing it.

• Like 1

We are all our own biggest critic, the majority of people that see this won't get up really close, they'll just see the same as I see, a great looking aircraft,

Cheers Andy

As much as I'm not a great fan of the Airfix Phantom that is a cracker, possibly one of the nicest I've seen so far. With regards to the serial, we have all been there and done that.

Duncan B

p.s. I've just been back and noticed you got the wing roundels positioned correctly so you get extra marks for that too (so many people place them in the same relative position top and bottom but the top ones were much closer to the hinge line just as you have done them).

Edited by BlackMike Models

On 19/01/2019 at 20:19, skwonk said:

Looks good to me. The only colour scheme a Spey Phantom should wear. Those stencils are a good few hours work aren't they?

He's right y'know,that is THE colours for a Spey 'Toom,and good old "James Bond(007) herself.

Great work Winnie,looks the part alright.

Thanks chaps and chapesses! Lovely to hear positive words indeed. I shall post more finished build when I get home then!

@skwonk, I recon I spent a good 8 hours on decals alone, if we say 6 sides, so left and right fuse + main markings, left wing top, right wing top, left and right wing bottom... towards the end it was quite fun to see that huge sheet disappear into nothing but leftovers!

As stated, the best looking Phantom scheme out there. Possibly the Royal jubilee ones look even better, remember doing that in a Matchbox one I believe...

• Like 1

That looks Phabulous! I have a soft spot for the ol F4, it being the first RAF type I ever sat in, this Navy version just seals the brilliance of the current Airfix kit

(The stencils must have driven you mad! )

Nah, the stencils make the job! It is a bit of a stuggle to see them all on the sheet, but 1 at a time, they come on, the sheet gets smaller, and eventually they are all on! Worst part was that they were impossible to see on the EDSG, until I put the plat coat on!

And thanks!