MartinSK

Lancaster"dambusters" Revell 1:72

Hello to all,

This was Christmas present from my daughter.

h3Ek0uj.jpg
I have decided to give it a go , even everything with more than one engine seems too complicated to me :)
I found some informations that outer wing dihedral is too flat so I have downloaded technical drawings from different sources (to compare dihedral) and all were the same and pointing that Revell outer wing needs some "lift"
It is more clear on the picture.

PNbYzIEh.jpg?1

To change this flat outer wing I used my skills from paper modelling when I need to bend something and scribed wide line from the inside of the wing in the area where needs to be lifted. With this scribed line is very easy to bend the outer wing to the right angle.

RkeAM6lh.jpg

I think this method was good as it will not offence any surface on the wing and you do not have to change anything just scribe the line from the inside. To keep the outer wing in right angle I filled the gap with piece of plastic (easily made from sprues) and secured it in the gap with enough quantity of super glue. Super glue (when dried) is always harder as plastic so this will help to keep the wing in the right angle.

z59GQa8h.jpg

And here is fixed wing-bottom part of the wing is copying the shape of the upper as bottom wing is very flexible due to big gaps for the engines.

OwEFXZSh.jpg

Sorry for the pictures ..I know they are too dark but hope they shows correction:)

I have ordered new wheels (as in the box are huuuge) and new guns (as in the box are just sticks) as well as Eduard masks for the clear parts - as there is lot in the box :)

I will be very pleased if someone will help me to avoid big mistakes of this kit (I am not planning to add rivets..etc in this scale just to have basic shape and errors fixed)

Thanks,

Martin

Edited by MartinSK
text correction
  • Like 3

Hiya Martin.

Anything you want to know just shout up.

I have loads of information on Lancasters in general and a lot of it applies to the Dams aircraft too.

There are some things in the cockpit area that Revel missed and needs adding,there are some things that need changing,

and some things that need leaving out or off.

For a start,the pilot's seat needs moving forward( I think about 4mm)so that it lines up with the sliding window,

that's the one port side right behind the windscreen other wise the pilot needs very long legs to reach the rudder pedals

for a start.

As I say just shout up.

Whose are those drawings you have there Martin?those radiators look like the enlarged ones fitted to the B.I(FE)or B.VII(FE)

for better cooling in high temperature use in the Far East against the Japanese forces.

Edited by Miggers
  • Like 1

Hi @Miggers,

Thanks a lot...it seems this will be long project with lot of corrections. Hopefully not so many as I would like to finish until the end of year between other unfinished builds.

To move pilot seat should not be a problem.

Can't remember the source of these drawings I used them just for dihedral correction. I know the shape of radiators on Revell kit is not good too, but let's start with interior ...and ofcourse if you will notice something wrong during my build I'll be happy to fix it.

Hope these wings are OK.

Martin

• Like 1

Wondering how you will correct the outer engine to sit at the correct angle.
Neat work to get the outer wing dihedral!
Good luck with the rest of the project, Martin! 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Walrus said:

Wondering how you will correct the outer engine to sit at the correct angle.
Neat work to get the outer wing dihedral!
Good luck with the rest of the project, Martin! 

Good point Paul.

I left it alone on mine,having seen the BBMF Lanc up very close,I thought the outer panel dihedral wasn't too far off

for an "unloaded"wing TBH.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Miggers said:

Good point Paul.

I left it alone on mine,having seen the BBMF Lanc up very close,I thought the outer panel dihedral wasn't too far off

for an "unloaded"wing TBH.

Thanks @walrus and @Miggers I will make "test fit" with outer engine ...and you could check if is OK or it will need different angle...today was long day at work ( typical Friday, so I am in bed now)

• Like 2

Test fit is done I think this is OK and does not need any corrections of the angle.

OQFSKC0.jpg

I have sanded surface of the wing as I do not like wide panel lines-here is sanded one compared to original.

VM2lAua.jpg

@Miggers please which pilot seat to choose? 4 or 5?

WJwwd0g.jpg

And colour if the interior? Instruction says some mixture of black and grey for pilots section, wheel wells and the rest interior green? 

Thanks.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, MartinSK said:

Test fit is done I think this is OK and does not need any corrections of the angle.

OQFSKC0.jpg

I have sanded surface of the wing as I do not like wide panel lines-here is sanded one compared to original.

VM2lAua.jpg

@Miggers please which pilot seat to choose? 4 or 5?

WJwwd0g.jpg

And colour if the interior? Instruction says some mixture of black and grey for pilots section, wheel wells and the rest interior green? 

Thanks.

Part 4 Martin,the one with the armor.

Lanc's were interior green up to the cockpit area and then black cockpit and bomb aimer's "hole".

It's the square box that the seat fixes on to that needs moving forward and the kind of "box on a stick" part shown above behind the seat?,

leave that out,Dams Lanc's didn't have that fitted.

It's actually the navigator's H2S screen.

The wheel wells can be black or green,but inside them is a representation of the wing structure,behind them are the ends of the

fuel tanks,the fuel tanks were a dull brick red colour.

• Like 1

Thanks @Miggers I will use part 4 for the seat. Square box was removed and remainded gap filled in order to move the seat cca 4mm forward.

I leave "box on a stick" part.

Thanks for the information about the interior colours.

I will post images when changes will be done.

And many thanks to all for nice comments.

• Like 1

Hello to all,

No so much to show as I was sick and too tired to do some modelling. Some goodies arrived.

IgmE0hDm.jpg

@Miggers please have you got some pictures of wheel wells in the part of the wing structure, how visible are ends of the fuel tanks? -to make some basic representation of them from balsa wood (then painted in dull brick red)

Thanks

Martin

• Like 1

8 hours ago, MartinSK said:

Hello to all,

No so much to show as I was sick and too tired to do some modelling. Some goodies arrived.

IgmE0hDm.jpg

@Miggers please have you got some pictures of wheel wells in the part of the wing structure, how visible are ends of the fuel tanks? -to make some basic representation of them from balsa wood (then painted in dull brick red)

Thanks

Martin

Try this Martin:

https://www.lincsaviation.co.uk/news/lancaster-nx611-return-to-flight/Fuel-tank-removal.htm

I just used ordinary computer printer paper cut to shape and fixed to the back of the framework

and then painted it dull brick red.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, MartinSK said:

Thanks a lot Miggers...great pictures...this will be easy just with paper.

Forgot to say Mart,just paint it between the framework...

• Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, Miggers said:

Forgot to say Mart,just paint it between the framework...

Thanks Miggers. From the pictures it seems that red colour was airbushed later on the green tank. (I thought that tanks were red from the production.)

Edited by MartinSK
Text mistakes

24 minutes ago, MartinSK said:

Thanks Miggers. From the pictures it seems that red colour was airbushed later on the green tank. (I thought that tanks were red from the production.)

They were as far as I know,the anti corrosion paint Avro's used was "Red Oxide Primer" because(again,as far as I know)the tanks were made of

pressed and welded steel with a self sealing rubber internal coating.

Of course,self sealing tanks weren't a lot of help when some yahoo had crept in underneath and was hosing your

undersides with his 20mm Schrage Musik.

So basically good old Humbrol(or similar)"Brick Red" will do the job mate.

• Like 1

Thanks again Miggers for detailed informations...thats what I like on modelling ...still learning something new about the actual build. But now it is time to show some progress and to use your super advices and corrections. Hope I will find some time to continue during the weekend.

• Like 1

I too have lot of information on the Lancaster. Books, plans, and so on. So just shout if you need anything. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Darren said:

I too have lot of information on the Lancaster. Books, plans, and so on. So just shout if you need anything. 

Thanks Darren. I am not Lancaster expert and in the instructions I found few things that are not clear to me so I will be asking, but for now I have to build something.

If you notice something that will be wrong during the build please let me know.

I'm no expert on the Lancaster I just have an affection for the airplane as my Grandfather crewed them. Although it's not my favourite Avro design.

Edited by Darren
  • Like 1

Hello,
My old Humbrol interior green was dried, so I went for Revell instruction mixing and this is the result.
I would like to hear your opinion-change it or leave it? (it is only interior and lot of the parts will be black)

ylyRxsEm.jpg

@Miggers @darren two seats number 11 + "table" number 10 were in dambuster too? I know part no 6 (box on a stick will not be used and pilot seat 4 mm closer to the dashboard-already done)
The rest should stay as in the instructions?

A6NN2Uhm.jpg

• Like 1

Yes Martin,use both seats and the table.

The seat nearest the cockpit is the Navigator's seat,the one to the rear is the Wireless Operator's seat.

Both were still in the Dams Lancs.

If you paint from the back edge of the cockpit to the very front of the fuselage black,you'll be good.

Across the rear of the cockpit between the pilot/flight engineer and the Nav's station was a black canvas curtain

(not surprisingly known as the "blackout curtain")to shield the navigator from the glare of searchlights,exploding flak

and so on.

Also on the rear edge of the cockpit opening was the "head bash pad".As that suggests,the rear edge of the

cockpit was completely covered by padding to stop any crew members from injuring themselves on the bare 

metal structure of the fuselage.The leather covering was either brown or green,the choice is yours.

Something in the cockpit that is also not represented is the Flight Engineer's folding "dicky seat",

this was on the right of the pilot's seat on the cockpit wall.

Although normally folded up,(the F/E spent 90% of his time looking outside the cockpit)it is quite visible if you're doing yours without any crew aboard.

Which aircraft are you doing Martin?(I suppose it'll be Mickey Martin's ED909/P-Popsie though will itB|)

Edited by Miggers
  • Like 1