Jump to content

Recommended Posts

So this time I'm gonna finish it,  honest ! I have till I go back to work to get some way ahead with it. 

20211225_113423.thumb.jpg.095e6a34b9ad69faeecd607146480145.jpg

now it's 420 pieces with a relatively simple paint scheme, no stupid dazzle paint, limited PE (just railings gulp) a copy of Mike Asheys building scale warships book and time. 

Now apparently the Bow isn't correct so I'm going to cut the bow off and scratch build a correct shape from miliput.......... no sod that it'll be out of the box I want to finish it not have any excuse not to finish it 

  • Like 8
Link to post
Share on other sites

 

2 hours ago, Grunhertz said:

So this time I'm gonna finish it,  honest ! I have till I go back to work to get some way ahead with it. 

20211225_113423.thumb.jpg.095e6a34b9ad69faeecd607146480145.jpg

now it's 420 pieces with a relatively simple paint scheme, no stupid dazzle paint, limited PE (just railings gulp) a copy of Mike Asheys building scale warships book and time. 

Now apparently the Bow isn't correct so I'm going to cut the bow off and scratch build a correct shape from miliput.......... no sod that it'll be out of the box I want to finish it not have any excuse not to finish it 

Try having a look at a website I use quite often. Just type in kbismarck and it'll take you there. Lots of material to go on.

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

 The bottom picture can't be Admiral Hipper as she had less rake to the bow profile.  This Is Admiral Hipper somewhere in Norway in 1942.   I'd say the lower photo is Blucher.

German_cruiser_Admiral_Hipper_off_Norway

 

The length at the waterline was essentially the same for Admiral Hipper and Blucher (195.5 m and 195 m respectively), so the modification to the bow is all above the waterline.  The length of Blucher overall after getting the clipper bow was 205.9 m vs 205 for Admiral Hipper.  As built, the numbers were 203.2 (Blucher) and 202.8 (Admiral Hipper).

The paint scheme for Blucher at the time of the failed attempt at reaching Oslo was Light Grey superstructure and turrets with a slightly darker grey hull (Sovereign Colourcoats make the proper colours).  The funnel cap was silver grey and the tops of the main battery turrets was yellow.  The deck was natural teak and swastika flags were painted on the stern deck and forecastle.

 

 

Edited by Jens H. Brandal
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Grunhertz said:

It's wierd because the prinz eugen has the right bow this one comes from the Hipper boxing. To be honest I just want to build it and complete it as ships have proved a bit of kryptonite to me 

Yes, the Prinz Eugen bow is more what it should look like, but the hull of the Prinz Eugen was longer, so Trumpeter would have been wrong to use that as a basis too.  Unfortunately Trumpeter chose not to provide alternative bows in the Admiral Hipper kit (inserts in the mould would have sufficed), and probably thought that Hipper was more important as she had a longer service career and carried more varied camouflage patterns.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Jessie_C said:

Could this be an 'as built' configuration? Wikipedia is pretty clear that the clipper bow was added on after launch for at least the Hipper.

As built

Bundesarchiv_DVM_10_Bild-23-63-24,_Schwe

Later, with the clipper bow

Bundesarchiv_DVM_10_Bild-23-63-09,_Kreuz

The bottom one is definitely Blucher look at the platform above the bridge. It's bigger on Blucher than on the Hipper. Tbh it makes little difference to me. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, Jens H. Brandal said:

Yes, the Prinz Eugen bow is more what it should look like, but the hull of the Prinz Eugen was longer, so Trumpeter would have been wrong to use that as a basis too.  Unfortunately Trumpeter chose not to provide alternative bows in the Admiral Hipper kit (inserts in the mould would have sufficed), and probably thought that Hipper was more important as she had a longer service career and carried more varied camouflage patterns.

In comparison of the two hulls in 1/350th it's about 10-15 mm difference between blucher/Hipper and prinz eugen 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks col lol and I have started it, 300 portholes the Hull drilled, the lower Hull is fixed on but not painted (trumpeter mould it in that red colour) propeller shafts and rudders are on as well as the main deck one thing that has become evident is the plastic doesn't like tamiya cement so over to some MEK and that sorted it out. 20211225_204241.thumb.jpg.9a2f49f1f8fdca7989b5c7737bd5ef38.jpg20211225_204300.thumb.jpg.86ec0016514e7aec223424357c42eea8.jpg

  • Like 7
Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Grunhertz said:

Thanks col lol and I have started it, 300 portholes the Hull drilled, the lower Hull is fixed on but not painted (trumpeter mould it in that red colour) propeller shafts and rudders are on as well as the main deck one thing that has become evident is the plastic doesn't like tamiya cement so over to some MEK and that sorted it out. 20211225_204241.thumb.jpg.9a2f49f1f8fdca7989b5c7737bd5ef38.jpg20211225_204300.thumb.jpg.86ec0016514e7aec223424357c42eea8.jpg

Ah yes I recognise it now after seeing the second photo 😂

You could leave it like that and call it finished in the state it's in now!

Duncan B

Edited by BlackMike Models
  • Haha 4
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, BlackMike Models said:

Ah yes I recognise it now after seeing the second photo 😂

You could leave it like that and call it finished in the state it's in now!

Duncan B

Just out of interest did you manage to get a look at the bow? 🤣🤣🤣🤣

  • Like 1
  • Haha 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...