Sign in to follow this  
Mad Steve

HELLER BUGATTI T50-BARN FIND

Morning Chaps :) 

I love Bugatti's! 

Almost as much as I love Lamborghini's, but I think if there was only one make of car I was ever allowed to make again, it would be Bugatti . It started with the old Matchbox Type 35 that I built in a caravan in Borth in Wales many many years ago, and has continued right up to today, with my current (and very slow) ongoing project, an 8th scale Pocher Bugatti T50. :) 

The Heller T50 comes around again and its time to build (one again), and I had forgotten just how much I hate Heller car kits. They are very entertaining with the way that you have to fit everything, normally with no locating holes, and if you get one piece, one millimeter out of alignment, nothing else will fit. I actually built the whole kit right up to getting the bonnet on, when I found that the gap between the bonnet end and the firewall was nearly half a centimeter and that was it for me, I just lost interest. A while later my lovely wife said why don't I make it into one of those cars they find in old garages, (she meant a barn find :)) and the idea was planted...

The entire model was then mist coated in a mixture of browns, and some weathering powders, and the tarp is made out of tissues and a diluted white glue mix was then brushed all over it and painted to suit. I like it, Its different. 

resized_1edceeea-dd4f-49af-ae33-c902d43b

resized_2f3c8884-cbe4-471b-b212-c24e9470

resized_0c3f4b44-96e2-43c9-948c-3a3788e3

resized_d5a7bf81-260a-490b-be4a-fc5f4c58

I wont be doing this to my Pocher Bugatti :) 

Hope you enjoy 

Mad Steve

• Like 5

Very nice and a very original idea. I've read about some obsolete aircraft being buried, and there have been a couple of kits I've considered doing the same to.

I live on an average looking British city road, but a couple of years ago, believe it or not, there was a 'barn find' just over the road from us. A house had been empty for nearly thirty years – the owner lived elsewhere in Cov and didn't want to rent or sell his mum's old house. When the bloke died, his wife got a friend (coincidentally also a friend of ours) to empty the place. In the dilapidated wooden garage they found an old Moggy Minor covered in a sheet like the one you've used. The one thing I would suggest, is that when they wheeled it out for the first time in three or four decades, the sheet was very dirty and grotty, with the accumulated crud that had settled on it over the years.

The folds in the sheet are very realistic, I've used the tissue and white glue before but never on something this big.

My favourite Lambo is the Miura and my favourite Bugatti is (probably predictably) the Type 35, but my all time fav car ever is the Karmann Ghia. If I had to choose one make, it would probably be Alvis. If there were some decent Alvis car kits I might even be tempted to do the unthinkable - I shudder just to think of the horror.

Incidentally, are you subjecting yourself to a self imposed punishment, or are you one of those exceptionally weird people who actually enjoys eating 'Fishermans Friends'? :sick:

• Haha 1

:) Thanks Gorbs 

Yep, I'm one of those exceptionally weird people that like Fisherman's Friends :) 

Id have to say that the Atlantic is my favourite Bugatti, and the Countach my favourite Lambo, but my favorite of favorite's is the humble Morris :) Yes from the Minor all the way through to the Marina (although I do draw the line at the Ital, god forsaken piece of crap that was). But again, there are virtually no models available. (yes I know Airfix did a Marina)

There's lots of Alvis models available.... Saladin, Saracen, Stalwart :) I think there are a couple of cars available in Metal and Resin in 43rd scale, don't think very many tho 

• Like 1

My favorites are gb B rally cars so this last year or so has been great for me and there will be an aoshima Delta s4 perchased before long. I have it on good authority that Belkits are working on a Metro 6R4 NOW CAN SOMEONE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE DO AN RS200? 

1 hour ago, Mad Steve said:

Yep, I'm one of those exceptionally weird people that like Fisherman's Friends :) 

When I was a kid my mate Andy gave me a Fishermans Friend and said that it was a sweet – therefore something pleasurable to eat. He's still a friend, but because of that traumatic incident, in the back of my skull is a note saying that his opinions on anything should be treated with suspicion.

That 'Atlantic' is rather nice. There is one crude looking white metal Alvis car kit, but not good enough to tempt me.

I've decided that as a special treat to you, at some point I'm going to post my only two car models that I've built. Don't raise your expectations – they aren't to your level.

• Haha 1

Hey Steve, that works a treat. I used the same idea on the wrecker. I put clingfilm under first so the white glue didn’t go on the finished paint, then when it dried I cut around the “tarp”. I could lift it on and off for painting if required. I put some holes in and tied it down.

As for the fishermen’s friends, I’m with you. They were the only “sweets” I could keep in the car that the kids didn’t scoff.

Cheers

Paul

resized_d7aac473-7cf6-43fd-9e2c-5dd06aaa

resized_bc2c9925-1a08-42ba-b3fe-445fb67d

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Grunhertz said:

My favorites are gb B rally cars so this last year or so has been great for me and there will be an aoshima Delta s4 perchased before long. I have it on good authority that Belkits are working on a Metro 6R4 NOW CAN SOMEONE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE DO AN RS200? 

They are indeed working on the 6R4 and it will be released later in the year, and then just for you..... 

1171127-10885-51-pristine.png

Courtesy of scalemates  :) 

1 hour ago, Mad Steve said:

They are indeed working on the 6R4 and it will be released later in the year, and then just for you..... 

1171127-10885-51-pristine.png

Courtesy of scalemates  :) 

Oh god there goes my "I'm not buying more kits this year" my poor poor wallet 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, Paul Brown said:

The problem with Fisherman's Friends is that they're not strong enough.

Why, do you need a full oral anaesthetic? :o

Do you lot not realise that putting things in your mouth should be a pleasurable experience - stop sniggering at the back!

• Like 1
  • Haha 2