BlackMike Models

Accurate Miniatures F3F-2 1/48 VF-6

Here is my second completion for 2019, mostly built during December and finished off yesterday. As luck would have it there was a Grumman Group Build taking place over on 'the other place' so the WIP is there if you are interested.

This is the Accurate Miniatures 1/48 Grumman F3F-2 and is completely OOB with the exception of the aerial. Painted with AK Interactive Xtreme Metal for the silver and Colourcoats enamels for all the other main colours. The kit decals were used but were a little brittle so care had to be taken as they did break up in places. 

A really enjoyable build for my first biplane since schooldays and I can recommend the kit, Academy are releasing this one later this year. 

IMG_5086-600x450.jpg IMG_5089-600x458.jpg IMG_5090-600x438.jpg IMG_5092-338x450.jpg IMG_5097-600x404.jpg IMG_5100-600x450.jpg IMG_5101-600x450.jpg

Duncan B

• Like 9

If we're dividing rabbits, the F3F series were not "Fifis". That aircraft was 2 generations earlier in development. Here's a Fifi:

FF1-4103fifi.JPG

The FF-1 first flew in 1931. The F3Fs didn't fly until 1936. In between the FF-1 and F3F was the F2F, which looked like an undernourished F3F due to the smaller engine and airframe.

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, Jessie_C said:

If we're dividing rabbits, the F3F series were not "Fifis". That aircraft was 2 generations earlier in development. Here's a Fifi:

FF1-4103fifi.JPG

The FF-1 first flew in 1931. The F3Fs didn't fly until 1936. In between the FF-1 and F3F was the F2F, which looked like an undernourished F3F due to the smaller engine and airframe.

Thanks for clearing that up and for the photo of the FF-1which is clearly related to the F3F when compared. I would love to go to Pensacola to visit that Museum by the by.

27 minutes ago, Darren said:

Oops oh well

An easy mistake to make I think. The US Navy aircraft designations can be very confusing.

1 hour ago, BlackMike Models said:

An easy mistake to make I think. The US Navy aircraft designations can be very confusing.

Extremely confusing.

First letter: Mission type ("F"= Fighter)

First number:  Cumulative count of the number of aircraft designs of that particular mission type produced by a company  (no number = first design)

Second letter: Company which produced the A/C

Second number: design modification/Mk number (no number = 1st variant/base design before design modification/Mk number changes).

This gives us F3F-3: Fighter/3rd design/Grumman/4rd Mk number

FF-1 Fighter/1st design/Grumman/2nd Mk number

TBF-1: Torpedo Bomber/Grumman/1st Mk number

etc...

I love that Accurate Miniature kit. It takes real work to make it look bad :)

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

Bit like our Jack Russell,tubby in the belly:biggrin:.

Grand job Dunc and it's a shame you live way up Norf,I have a few bipes that you could rig pour moi.

• Haha 1