Gorby

Gorby's small slice of BoB – WARNING - Rivet-counters are requested to sit down and brace themselves before viewing.

This is my first born diorama. It's 1/48 and consists of:

Airfix 'Battle of Britain, Ready for Battle' set (amazingly good value),

Italeri Mk.I Hurricane,

and an entirely scratch built dispatch/billet hut, including corrugated roof & contents.

A few words on the build:

Airfix – great,

Italeri – awful,

hut & contents – enjoyable.

It was my first time using static grass and I know it fails in the realism department, but I learnt a lot from this defeat, which made my second diorama a significant improvement.

Rivet counters please note: It's just a bit of fun and not intended to be a totally accurate representation of an RAF base, so please take with a pinch of salt.

352698-20442-44.jpg

352699-20442-80.jpg

352700-20442-61.jpg

352701-20442-82.jpg

352702-20442-90.jpg

352704-20442-79.jpg

352705-20442-49.jpg

352706-20442-17.jpg

352707-20442-68.jpg

352708-20442-83.jpg

352709-20442-66.jpg

352710-20442-15.jpg

352711-20442-13.jpg

The step ladder and the deckchair are scratch built.

352712-20442-60.jpg

Everything except the cap is scratch built.

352713-20442-31.jpg

The photo on the desk is of my mum during the war and the photo on the bed is of her when she was 19. The orange booklets are pilots notes.

352714-20442-24.png

Thanks for taking the time to look.

Gorby :smile:

• Like 5

21 minutes ago, Grunhertz said:

That's just ffffff fantastic lovely work Gorby 

Thanks - I'm glad you like it. :smile:

I like the idea, accurate or not.

However I am going to have to make one very large rivet counting comment.

That bloody pound coin is way over scale, although you did get a nice shine on it.😇

rich

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Mad Steve said:

I still love this Dio Gorbs. Excellent work :) 

What fabulous taste you have!

It's no wonder you had to escape from the treacly place of your birth. :wink:

• Haha 2

I never knew how good Mi.6 was until now. Who knew that the RAF had general recognition posters of the Me 410 available in 1940!

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Jessie_C said:

I never knew how good Mi.6 was until now. Who knew that the RAF had general recognition posters of the Me 410 available in 1940!

The Doctor popped forward in time from series 1 episode 9, picked up some intel, and popped back again.
The poster is legit

5 minutes ago, Walrus said:

The Doctor popped forward in time from series 1 episode 9, picked up some intel, and popped back again.
The poster is legit

Exactly. Walrus has nailed my view on historical accuracy in one. Torturing the rivet-trolls gives me enormous pleasure – does that make me a bad person?

Probably. 

:laughing:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I once pasted a little note way up inside a Monogram TBF I went to town on detailing. I had left the gunner's hatch open which is usually an invitation to the dental mirror brigade, so I printed the note in 6 point font which read "If you can read this, you seriously need to get a life" and attached it to the inside top of the rear fuselage.

• Haha 4

I remember that from "elsewhere" Gorb,I like how "Douglas" is swinging the old tin legs to get to his Hurri.

I can almost hear him bawling at the 'erks to get those cowlings on and those steps out of the way.

Still looks good mate.

Thanks very much @Miggers! The dogs only attracted to him because he's eaten the fridge magnets.

I've got a crap memory so I apologise if I should remember you from the other place, I probably should as you obviously have excellent taste. :wink:

Edited by Gorby
alteration
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Gorby said:

Thanks very much @Miggers! The dogs only attracted to him because his legs are magnetic.

I've got a crap memory so I apologise if I should remember you from the other place, I probably should as you obviously have excellent taste. :wink:

Yeh and if it pee's on 'em they'll go rusty:biggrin:

As I said to Steve t'other night,you'd have more than likely found me blithering on about Spitfires,Seafires,Lancasters and other

such worthies in the WWII,WIP and RFI sections with the likes of Edgar Brookes,Graham Boak,Gingerbob,etc to whichever poor

unfortunate had asked some obscure question.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Miggers said:

you'd have more than likely found me blithering on about Spitfires,Seafires,Lancasters and other

such worthies in the WWII,WIP and RFI sections with the likes of Edgar Brookes,Graham Boak,Gingerbob,etc to whichever poor

unfortunate had asked some obscure question.

I stay well away from the 'learned' threads as I haven't a clue and mainly just talk rubbish. Even though I've always loved WWII aircraft, to me if it's even vaguely Spitfire shaped, it's a Spitfire. :piliot:

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Miggers said:

I remember that from "elsewhere" Gorb,I like how "Douglas" is swinging the old tin legs to get to his Hurri.

I can almost hear him bawling at the 'erks to get those cowlings on and those steps out of the way.

Still looks good mate.

So how doe we explain that he's running towards Willy McNight's crate?

3 minutes ago, Jessie_C said:

Because his crate is parked in front of the other two perhaps? :wink:

Willy, later on in the Squadron office: "Look here, Sir. Just because you were in front doesn't give you the excuse to bagsie my airplane! How can I shoot down the huns if all that's left is a Tiger Moth?"

• Haha 1

33 minutes ago, Jessie_C said:

And bawling "Get that thing out of my way Willie" as well as "Get those cowlings on and those step ladders out of the bloody way" AND puffing on the famous pipe.

Anyway Jess,Gorby said no rivet counting.........:biggrin:

BTW Jess,have you heard from Debs????

Edited by Miggers
  • Like 1