Grunhertz

Ww1 group build anyone?

3 hours ago, BlackMike Models said:

................the Hobbit didn't get his nice bowl of 'tatters' but had to make do with the knock off Jaffa cakes instead.

MEANIE! Couldn't you at least have spared a quid for the lads 'tatties'...........ALDI or Lidl? Yer :pirate: you!!

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, phoenix54 said:

MEANIE! Couldn't you at least have spared a quid for the lads 'tatties'...........ALDI or Lidl? Yer :pirate: you!!

I had to give him a sub (pun intended) to buy his over priced 30% off bargain bucket Ark Royal and I'm negotiating the release of his Tamiya Swordfish floatplane from him too! I'm clearly a very considerate master.

DB

• Haha 4

8 hours ago, BlackMike Models said:

to take Mrs B's Mini

I don't think you've got the legs for it Duncan :D

See what I did there?

Quickly diverted the thread away from all this WW1 stuff. (sorry @krow113)

Why oh why did I agree to this madness ?

Am I allowed to do an HMS Fulmar based Buccaneer which got caught in some sort of space / time thingy and ended up on the Western front?...thought not..:sad:

• Haha 3

6 hours ago, RWG686 said:

I don't think you've got the legs for it Duncan :D

See what I did there?

Quickly diverted the thread away from all this WW1 stuff. (sorry @krow113)

Why oh why did I agree to this madness ?

Am I allowed to do an HMS Fulmar based Buccaneer which got caught in some sort of space / time thingy and ended up on the Western front?...thought not..:sad:

Answered your own question there 

• Haha 1

Morning chap :) 

You know what actually puts me off doing a WNW kit? 

Every one you see on forums, magazines and actually in real life is a masterpiece. (well to me anyway) 

Yes there are tricks to employ, such as the wood grain decals or masks, but by eck, they do come out magnificent. 

I made a start on the W29 Hansa Brandenburg a while ago, I think I glued like 3 things together before it came to my dreaded bugbear, the wooden stuff, and its been back in its lovely box ever since. I've been playing around with bits of plasticard now trying to get the wood grain effect nailed down, and I picked that up again last night for the upcoming WW1 build, and I'm giving it a trial run on an Airfix BE2c :). So yes, getting the wood and the rigging behind me would be nice and give me a bit more confidence to actually crack on and finish one of those lovely kits 

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Mad Steve said:

I've been playing around with bits of plasticard now trying to get the wood grain effect nailed down,

Yes, replicating wood-grain is something I struggle with as well and I'm much too tight to opt for the decals, so this has been something I've been experimenting with – not particularly successfully so far. I'm too impatient to wait for oil paint to dry (it takes even more than five minutes! :o) so I've using acrylic, with so-so results.

It seems that the most obvious woody area on the Roland is the prop, but I've been doing some other experiments with that, in fact I'm too busy playing for the build to start. Even if I make a complete dogs dinner of this one, hopefully I think I'm going to learn a lot from it. It might even give me the confidence to start that Swordfish that's been nagging at me from the stash.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Gorby said:

. I'm too impatient to wait for oil paint to dry (it takes even more than five minutes! :o) so I've using acrylic, with so-so results.

You and I see very alike Gorby :) 

It took like 3 days for the oil paints to dry enough to get a clear coat on them, then I read that it can actually take months for it to dry :( 

As far as I can see, all the Roland's fuselage Interior is all wood, but the grey version I have, has a black prop (woohoo) :) So maybe I should get up at 12:30 next friday and do the oil paints thing then sit and stare at it for 3 days, maybe it will dry faster is I staaaaaaaaare at it :) 

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Mad Steve said:

As far as I can see, all the Roland's fuselage Interior is all wood,

The instructions with mine show the interior as wood brown, but virtually all the WNW builds I've Googleified are a bluey grey colour with just a wooden floor, so I'm VERY tempted to assume that WNW knows better than Eduard.

If historical accuracy is easier, I'm fully prepared to bite the bullet and be a rivet counter for once.

6 minutes ago, Gorby said:

The instructions with mine show the interior as wood brown, but virtually all the WNW builds I've Googleified are a bluey grey colour with just a wooden floor, so I'm VERY tempted to assume that WNW knows better than Eduard.

If historical accuracy is easier, I'm fully prepared to bite the bullet and be a rivet counter for once.

Aha, I too must googleify the interior colours then, I mean, Cant do a half arsed job, not on a GB anyway :) 

• Like 1

I've been having a play with the Usci Van whatsit stuff and I've come to the conclusion that I'm the wrong scale. Either that or I should have added the micro fingers and the eyes of an eagle to my Black Mike order. It's like doing the weeding with a JCB, whilst looking through the wrong end of a pair of binoculars. I've been trying to get the line through a 0.5mm brass tube and to be honest, I think it would be easier for me to fit a camel in a phone box.

At times like this, I need to remember what I was told when I was a kid, “If at first you don't succeed, try, try, try doing something easier”. I think that's what they said, to be honest, I wasn't listening.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

With oil paint. Squeeze a little onto a piece of cardboard or kitchen towel and leave it for AT LEAST an hour for the oil to seep out. When you've done this it will dry much quicker. It's the linseed oil in the paint that takes time to dry 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Gorby said:

I've been having a play with the Usci Van whatsit stuff and I've come to the conclusion that I'm the wrong scale. Either that or I should have added the micro fingers and the eyes of an eagle to my Black Mike order. It's like doing the weeding with a JCB, whilst looking through the wrong end of a pair of binoculars. I've been trying to get the line through a 0.5mm brass tube and to be honest, I think it would be easier for me to fit a camel in a phone box.

At times like this, I need to remember what I was told when I was a kid, “If at first you don't succeed, try, try, try doing something easier”. I think that's what they said, to be honest, I wasn't listening.

:)

one word Gorbs - optivisor!