Grunhertz

Ww1 group build anyone?

On 1/9/2019 at 5:34 PM, Walrus said:

Now you've made me feel guilty
TOTS FTW!

Maybe I can get my LHS to order a MB 1/72 Tank! 

I have the Master Box tanks in stock and was thinking of building one of those too as I have one with a 2 dimensional box (The nasty end opening Mastebox boxes will revert to 2 dimensions in the faintest of breezes which makes storage of them a nightmare).

Now that I think of it I have quite a few Eduard WW1 planes too so I have more choice than I remembered.

Duncan B

Edited by BlackMike Models
  • Like 1

Morning Chaps :) 

I've decided to go with this: 

One of the very few aircraft I've always loved since seeing the Airfix one many many many years ago, (and i still haven't built the one I purchased about 15 years ago :) ) 

resized_e1a7a3bc-7643-4c96-a7ac-9a6265dd

I have a couple of Roden's that don't really do it for me, and the rest are WNW kits that I just couldn't get half way through in 3 months or in the case of the Felixstowe, need to build a new bench just for it to sit on :) 

I believe Gorby also has a Roland so should be fun :)  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Mad Steve said:

the Airfix one many many many years ago,

Anyone know when it came out?

I built it then,my first and last WW1 completed aircraft!

On 1/10/2019 at 8:37 AM, BlackMike Models said:

(The nasty end opening Mastebox boxes will revert to 2 dimensions in the faintest of breezes which makes storage of them a nightmare).

Sssshhhh! or you'll start Derby off again.

• Haha 2

2 minutes ago, Paul Brown said:

The Roland is a good choice for anybody who's bête noire is rigging.

To be honest, I'm not afraid of doing the rigging, and this moves forward to the WNW kits especially, its getting the turnbuckle things. Our postal service is absolutely :censored: , and I mean REALLY :censored:.... Anything ordered airmail is basically hit and miss, you might get it, but you probably wont, and courier rates to here are just ridiculous.... 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Mad Steve said:

I'm not afraid of doing the rigging

I am, and that's one of the reasons for choosing the Roland.

I'm coming down more on the side of the pretty curtained one - I just need to find out the how to mix the colours (particularly the purple) from Tamiya acrylic range.

2 hours ago, Gorby said:

God, you must be old.

Old yes but not God !

When you were still in nappies I was 12 and building (well sticking them together) kits 😁

See what you've all done now..planted the Roland seed.

• Haha 4

1 hour ago, Gorby said:

I just need to find out the how to mix the colours (particularly the purple) from Tamiya acrylic range.

OK that pinged a memory Gorbs....had a look in the CII Late kit.... 

What they say is X16:2 + XF52:1, so that's Purple & Flat Earth

If you take a gander over to the WNW website, you can download the paints lists for any of the kits :) 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Mad Steve said:

X16

Haven't got that one - great excuse to nip to the LHS.

3 minutes ago, Mad Steve said:

If you take a gander over to the WNW website, you can download the paints lists for any of the kits

Great idea. You're a genius.*

* I don't do flattery. I must be faulty.

• Haha 1

Take great care about that purple. As far as I know, the Walfisch was never painted in any purple camouflage because it left active service during the green/red-brown period. I think that Eduard based their research on publications which were later proven to be inaccurate.

• Thanks 1

52 minutes ago, Jessie_C said:

Take great care about that purple. As far as I know, the Walfisch was never painted in any purple camouflage because it left active service during the green/red-brown period. I think that Eduard based their research on publications which were later proven to be inaccurate.

As I've mentioned elsewhere, I don't do historical accuracy. I like the purple, so mines going to be purple. :smile:

I'm tempted to put the face on it as well. :wink:

• Haha 3

Just joined. I'm in.

Having only recently come back to modelling after 40-odd years (who knew my catwalk looks would hold out :22_yikes:) I am tempted to do an Airfix 2f1 Camel as that was the first kit I ever built in 195- hrrrmmmpph. However, to further the aims of my Historic Stash Reduction Scheme (HSRS), I'm minded to use something from stock, namely Sopwiths - Camels by Revel, Esci, Roden (but not Airfix!); Baby, Schneider, Tabloid; Snipe or Salamander; Dolphin; Bat Boat (Vacform). Anyone got a preference? I rarely build straight from the box though. Scratch-build? Nah.

Did i mention I'm a 1/72 fundamentalist? Started for fun, now just da mental list.

• Like 3

30 minutes ago, Che Guava said:

I am tempted to do an

I new the blackmail would work!

What's that us up to ..13?

I've just been looking though my prospective build and as I've got nothing on the bench at the moment I'm itching to get started. As Steve suggested I've been trawling at the WNW site to get some ideas of colours and I WANT A WNW KIT NOW!

Resist!

Never having done one of these group builds before, what are the rules of engagement or is all going to be revealed at a later date?

• Haha 1

It will be revealed 

But generally a kit not more than 25% started within the pera meters of the build. 

Starting and finishing on a certain date 

With a WIP and pictures of the finished build in the gallery at the end we have a vote to see who every one thinks is the best build 

But above all its a chance to share opinions tips and generally have a bit of fun. Sometimes we get support and prizes, more often than not we don't. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2