IMEX 1/12 scale U.S. Army 1980 FLH Harley Davidson Motorcycle

my next build is a 1/12 Harley Davidson, don't think I've ever made an IMEX kit before, Mrs Sprocket found it in a charity Shop for a few quid, they go for a lot more than that on a well known auction site.

wu4EP4Z.jpg

I do enjoy building the odd Bike, even though I failed my CBT spectacularly doing a Evil Kinevil during the emergency stop training, breaking a couple of finger bones, and from that point on being unable to operate the clutch lever for the rest of the test. Bikes scare the seven shades of sh-- out of me, so gawd knows what I was doing a CBT for. I'll stick to 4 wheels in future.

Lz0TacT.jpg

• Like 4

however, two wheels are fine in all scale modelling, so here goes. first the crank case, got a really good join sanded down can hardly see it, then realized the crank case on the real harley comes in two pieces, so I could have left it as a faint join line. typical.

mXXYnvP.jpg

here we are, crankcase and engine parts

f34nhIw.jpg

the cylinders are made in two halves that are joined together, the join isn't that great, and difficult to file smooth between those cooling fins, that's after the spectacular flash was all cleaned up. Typical.

pfnavWk.jpg

• Like 1

pair closed up, clothes peg to hold it tight together.

wIPBmcX.jpg

both cylinders added to the crank case, good strong fit, plenty of contact surface area.

NKijZZh.jpg

to allow the push rod tubes to lay flat against the engine several cooling vanes had to be filed with a half round needle file.

HQuWTKR.jpg

the tubes fit just, between the crank case and the "shovel head" valve covers at the top.

C6VsPVU.jpg

• Like 4

the tires are rubber, no other option supplied, they had this horrible frill of rubber casting flash along the Centre line of each tire, (sorry no picture)  I tried, cutting, snipping, heating with a hot screwdriver. Then found by accident that running the tire around in contact with the hot nozzle of the burner, shrank them back, how satisfying that was!

WLTNJKf.jpg 

• Like 2

Looks good Sprockers,not a kit I'm familiar with(the real bike yes),I doubt Steve will be,it's not Twin Stars.

I think though if I'd have got it cheap in a cherridee shop I'd have popped it up on that well known auction

site and made myself a couple of shillin':biggrin:(His Lairdship will like that idea.)

• Like 2

maybe Miggers has a point, putting this together is quite a challenge, so far I've broken the bottom tubes of the frame, had to go back, wait for it to re set and gently fit the rear wheel by prizing the frame open to take the tabs that hold the forks in place.

engine_and_rear_wheel_mounted_lkumwe.jpg

Edited by Sprocket
typo
  • Like 3

a few more parts fitted, this is really a few parts an hour speed of assembly, if you try to go faster it will end up in a twisted mess, typical bike build. The left side footrest, fitted up dead easy, but the right was short shotted, the rearmost lug was too short, so I had to use stretched sprue in a hole drilled into the filed off short shotted stump.

that part ahead of the crank case has avoided paint! from this close up I can see the leg guard needs de seaming.

pMCSAFr.jpg

• Like 3
Just now, mac1677 said:

That is coming along nicely 👍

Cheers Mac, I'm please with the model so far, and my care in making this, it's taken a lot of holding back to let the stage fully dry before I move onto the next one, can't overstate how important that is in a Bike Build.

NiIcK5L.jpg

• Like 5

the headlamp, silver foil squeezed into the bucket using the domed end of a pen rubber. Making sure the foil is back from the rim so the clear part fits.

headlamp_silver_foil_cqphfy.jpg

I like the realistic way the silver foil reflects light back through the lens, it looks 100% better than silver paint.

headlamp_silver_foil_a_ywqksi.jpg

next up, some brake and accelerator lines.

headlamp_fitted_gv_a_cpqy3a.jpg

• Like 3

and finally in it's glass case, after a targetted airbrushing, the kit decals were a total fail, so out came the spare decals box, never put a healthy decal down, or throw it away, into the decals box it goes, and out they came in support of the Bike, some Humbrol decal fix, and when that had dried, a coat of Humbrol matt cote,(that has a slight sheen) for the tinware.

YgylD2z.jpg

glass base is inverted black painted glass mounted on card

iYJDF19.jpg

• Like 3