Aldi Steak & Kidney pie twin pack (aka the constant speed variable noise machine)

Well that’s what I went shopping for but I came out with this too.

IMG_9441-600x410.jpg

While waiting for paint to dry on something else I decided to have a look inside the box of my Aldi Special and before I could say where’s the Steak pie I was well on the way to having an airframe ready for primer.

IMG_9467-600x435.jpg

It was at this point 1 hour in that I realised I’d started another kit!

IMG_9468-600x450.jpg

It really is a delightful little kit, even with the obligatory Airfix short shot (on the bottom of one of the seats so not a problem this time).

IMG_9469-600x450.jpg

Three hours, give or take, to get to the point where the seams have been given some Mr Surfacer. That’s where I’m stopping for just now but it could easily have had a coat of primer on within 4 hours of starting. 

Duncan B

p.s. I appear to have ordered another one (with the markings I want) and a 1/72 Gnat during my lunch break!

Edited by BlackMike Models
  • Like 8
3 hours ago, Col. said:

Nice progress Duncan but you've forgotten to spend weeks super-detailing and painting the cockpit again! :o

Oh no I didn’t 

2 hours ago, Miggers said:

Told yer it was a nice kit dinta eh.

I do have a drawing of the T.4 if you really do want to make it a T.4 as advertised on the tin.

Thanks, I’m actually not sure if it’s going to be a 3 or a 4 yet. I’m going to make on of the instructional airframes from my Apprenticeship and I can’t remember which mark they were but I suspect 3.

2 hours ago, mac1677 said:

Great progress Duncan 👍

They are super little kits, I have built a few of them 🙂

I can imagine you could churn one out in a morning 😂 

Duncan B

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • BlackMike Models changed the title to Aldi Steak & Kidney pie twin pack (aka the constant speed variable noise machine)

Good job we dont have Aldi or the like, I'd be in there every week doing our weekly shop and Mrs C would be doing her nut at the lack of food but I would be contented :biggrin:. They are lovely kits and just fall together, wish there were RN JP's xD.

Cracking progress so far, looking forward to seeing a splash of paint!

• Thanks 1
2 hours ago, Miggers said:

The orange dayglo for the wings is said to be a bit of a pig(if you're using 'em that is).

They're thick and a bit unyielding going around the wing L/E's.

Very hot water and cotton wool were said to do the trick IIRC.

I'm sure our @Jessie_C will approve of this method.

8 minutes ago, Col. said:

I'm sure our @Jessie_C will approve of this method.

There's a binary outcome:

1: The decals behave themselves and settle down;

2: The decals get destroyed, which is a sign from the Universe that you're not destined to build that particular example with these decals; better luck next time. Maybe try some paint instead.

• Haha 5
3 hours ago, Miggers said:

IMG_9474-600x377.jpg

The orange dayglo for the wings is said to be a bit of a pig(if you're using 'em that is).

Tamiya x20a job done 

• Like 1
4 hours ago, Miggers said:

IMG_9474-600x377.jpg

As I want the dayglo to look faded I was considering cutting masks using the decals as templates. Another question about that colour scheme though, Airfix call the base colour out as Light Aircraft Grey but I could swear they were Silver (all be it faded), even the box art shows it as silver?

Duncan B

11 hours ago, BlackMike Models said:

As I want the dayglo to look faded I was considering cutting masks using the decals as templates. Another question about that colour scheme though, Airfix call the base colour out as Light Aircraft Grey but I could swear they were Silver (all be it faded), even the box art shows it as silver?

Duncan B

They were silver and dayglo,then grey and dayglo before red,white and grey. The grey scheme had stick on dayglo which faded badly.

Humbrol have done a new dayglo for the Vampire T.11 which ain't too bad.

• Thanks 1
1 hour ago, Miggers said:

They were silver and dayglo,then grey and dayglo before red,white and grey. The grey scheme had stick on dayglo which faded badly.

Humbrol have done a new dayglo for the Vampire T.11 which ain't too bad.

I still have a sheet of that stick on dayglo in the house, too thick for going on models but handy to have.

I'll check the photos I have from my apprenticeship to see what the base colour was of the dayglo ones we had. We mostly had the red, grey, white ones which may have been T.4s

Duncan B

T.3's made it into red,white and grey too Dunc.

But for Dayglo panelled schemes;

1963-68 Silver/Aluminium/Dayglo/Red strips.

1968-72 LAG/Dayglo/Red/strips/panels(varying on type)

Judging from that,it appears that the T.3's box art has the Silver overall scheme but with the

later 63-68 Dayglo strips,so if the ones you had you grubby mitts on Duncan were faded

Silver/Dayglo jobbies,you'd be ok going with box art,but if they were LAG,the striping 

would still be ok.

Edited by Miggers
  • Like 1