Airfix 1/72 Hawker Hurricane Mk.IIc (A02096)

Hi troops,

I have managed to squeeze in another build 😁 

On the evening of 4th May 1942, Czech pilot Lt. Karel Miroslav Kuttelwascher, of 1 Sqn RAF, was flying "Night Reaper" from RAF Tangmere on an night intruder mission, on this sortie he managed to shoot down 3 Heinkel He-111's over St.Andre airfield, France:

51690280436_c1dc36ac00_z.jpg
51691170215_81a85603d6_z.jpg
51690543588_3647b0eeb2_z.jpg
51690543553_689673b777_z.jpg
51690280421_52d32835bc_z.jpg
51690280411_5247d9f8c3_z.jpg
51691170200_3e7b79eac7_z.jpg
51691170185_5bd35f9843_z.jpg

Thanks for looking in 😊

Edited by mac1677
Better pictures added
  • Like 13

I knew you weren't finished for the year! Very nice Hurricane too. I am no expert (I should just stop there) on WW2 RAF stuff so it comes as a surprise to find out that Hurricanes were still soldiering on in Europe in 1942. I just assumed that they would have all been replaced in the fighter role in this neck of the woods by the other thing by then. Was the Hurricane better suited to night operations because it was a more rugged design (wide track U/C etc)?

Duncan B

Cheers Duncan 👍 I am guessing the Hurricanes were used at night because there was less fighter opposition, and as you say were more rugged.

22 minutes ago, BlackMike Models said:

I knew you weren't finished for the year!

I am afraid the situation is out of my control, so there maybe a few more builds to come 😋

9 minutes ago, DC3 said:

Still a bit small don't you think?

I am not changing them again 😜

2 hours ago, BlackMike Models said:

I knew you weren't finished for the year! Very nice Hurricane too. I am no expert (I should just stop there) on WW2 RAF stuff so it comes as a surprise to find out that Hurricanes were still soldiering on in Europe in 1942. I just assumed that they would have all been replaced in the fighter role in this neck of the woods by the other thing by then. Was the Hurricane better suited to night operations because it was a more rugged design (wide track U/C etc)?

Duncan B

The Hurricane was still being used as a fighter in the Med, Afrika and far east, and also as Sea Hurricanes, but afaik only as a night fighter when based in home theatre.
I would have to check dates for 1942 as a night fighter, which may have stopped by 1942, when its night role would have been the more offensive intruder missions. 
Daytime ops would have been as a Hurribomber taking part in Rhubarbs and Rodeos

The wide track and rugged nature of the Hurricane would have been an advantage for rough landings.
It's not just that the landing gear is widely spaced, but is part of a solid "box" 
main-qimg-1ec55b35be736e86e677bc9df262dd

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2
On 20/11/2021 at 08:42, BlackMike Models said:

Was the Hurricane better suited to night operations because it was a more rugged design (wide track U/C etc)?

Better gun platform and heavier fire power( 4x20mm Hispano's vs 2x20mm Hispano's and 4x Browning .303's).

When flying such ops as night intruder,i.e,lurking near enemy bomber bases,waiting for the flare path to

illuminate and expose your target,4 20mm's gives you far more chance of a kill on the first firing pass.

• Like 2

Nice take on the BBMF's take of Kut's Hurricane Chris.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Karel_Kuttelwascher#/media/File:Hurricane_mkiic_of_the_bbmf_arp.jpg

The original "Night Reaper" was BE581,Frog's old kit has them in it.

Hawker Hurricane 2C, FROG F188F (1968)

Are the decals from an Airfix BBMF set or aftermarket?

Either way they've worked well.

Edited by Miggers
  • Like 2
36 minutes ago, mac1677 said:

They are from the Airfix BBMF set and are clearly the wrong serial number 🙃 Need to check references a bit more often me thinks 😄

It's not wrong for the BBMF! ;) 

I think all the BBMF aircraft retain their original serial numbers, regardless of what scheme they might be wearing (a legal requirement? I'm not up on air law these days). 

• Like 1

What is wrong for the BBMF Hurricane painted as Night Reaper is the aerial 
PZ865 has the aerial mast perpendicular to the slope of the fuselage spine rather than the to the datum, as per the artwork on the Frog baggie 

Hurricane_mkiic_of_the_bbmf_arp.jpg

I've no idea why that airframe has the mast set at that angle.
AFAIK all of the other BBMF Hurris have the masts set at the correct angle.

Could be that airframe was inherited by the BBMF like this and they chose to leave it that way
The jaunty angle of the mast appears on other WW2 schemes applied to PZ865 by the BBMF, but more recent iterations show that the mast has been reset to the standard angle.
0000107064.jpg

Just found this of the aircraft in its post war civvie racing colours with an upright mast 
01AT-FTVM.jpg

Another photo of PZ865 this livery show the mast had been removed.
Hawker-Hurricane-II-G-AMAU-Hawker-Ac-BAG

At one point a whip aerial had been installed
H-B1.jpg

Can't help thinking, looking at the last photo, that someone reinstalled a mast at the same angle as the whip aerial. 

TL;DR  blah blah unimportant minor details blah blah xD 

Edited by Walrus
  • Like 1
20 hours ago, Paul Brown said:

I think all the BBMF aircraft retain their original serial numbers, regardless of what scheme they might be wearing

They do indeed,they're technically serving aircraft on the RAF's inventory and so retain their original

serial numbers.

Even if they were allocated a civvy registration at some time in the lives,they reverted back to their service

serials when taken back onto the service inventory,PZ865 originally,then G-AMAU whilst back at Hawker's 

post war,then back to PZ865 when she was gifted to the fledgling BBMF being a case in point.

Spitfire Vb AB910 being another,post war she was G-AISU and owned by Allen Wheeler.

Edited by Miggers
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1