BlackMike Models

Eduard Bf109G-4

I’m sure I said ‘never again’ after the last 48 hour marathon didn’t I? :)

Anyway here we are again and I’ve chosen my subject, the 1/48 Bf109G-4 which is a new release in the Weekend Edition. I have only ever made the original 1/46ish Eduard Bf109 before (even though I have quite a few of the newer kits in Overtree form in the stash) so am looking forward to this one. 

IMG_5007-600x450.jpg IMG_5008-600x450.jpg

I won’t be making a start until tomorrow afternoon but am having a look through the instructions today. I haven’t decided on which of the schemes I’ll go for yet, if it wasn’t for the later tail wheel on the JG53 machine I could actually have done the main assembly before deciding. 

Duncan B

• Like 1

And we’re off and running (a Scotsman fully functional on New Year’s Day, I must be slipping!).

I was all set to start at noon but came across an issue with my new choice of scheme. 

IMG_5009-600x450.jpg

This book includes a photo and the wings don’t seem to have the RLM80 on them plus it doesn’t look exactly like the Eduard profile so back to plan A. 

At 1230pm I finally got going. 

IMG_5010-338x450.jpg

One hour in I had all the parts sorted and was making a start on the cockpit. 

IMG_5011-600x450.jpg

Another couple of hours in.....

IMG_5012-338x450.jpg IMG_5013-338x450.jpg

I hope I haven’t spent too long on the cockpit? At the 6 hour mark I stopped for refuelling at this stage. 

IMG_5014-600x377.jpg

I want to get it to or past the primer stage tonight if I can. I have been a little surprised by the amount of flash on some of the parts, I wonder if using common sprues is causing them to wear quickly?

Duncan B

Edited by BlackMike Models
  • Like 1

It could be Duncan. Eduard do try to get all they can from their tooling my f had quite a bit 

BTW that's looking great 

• Thanks 1

Not quite 10 hours in and I’m calling it a night. I’m not quite at the primer stage as there has been a bit of filler needed which is still setting. 

IMG_5016-338x450.jpg IMG_5017-338x450.jpg

Why Eduard added that fictitious joint at the aft end of the wing beats me. They did the same with the original 1/46th G-6 release. 

IMG_5015-338x450.jpg

The parts box is looking less busy now which is promising. 

I’ll get back to it again early tomorrow morning. 

Duncan B

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Grunhertz said:

You'll smash this mate. I'm in agreement on the join but I would still buy 3 of these to one tamiya 

I have a Tamiya G-6 which I bought out of curiosity really, it looks very gimmicky to me. 

6.30am and I’m back at the bench. First thing is to get the putty sanded back. I can’t fire up the compressor yet anyway so the next couple of hours will be prep time for the start of painting  

Duncan B

• Like 1

8.30am (still in my first 24hrs) and most of the masking is complete.

IMG_5018-434x450.jpg

Mrs B is up and about so the compressor can go on now so once I’ve finished masking it’s straight onto the primer. 

Duncan B

• Like 1

I don’t drink a huge amount of coffee and don’t like tea! More than 2 coffees a day and my head starts nipping. 

IMG_5020-600x450.jpg

Primer coat on. It’s shown up a few seams and things that I’d normally take the time to sort out but I’ll live with them this time. 

Some pre-shading next  

Duncan B

• Like 1

RLM76 applied, it’s a bit patchy but some of it on the fuselage sides will be getting covered up anyway. 

IMG_5023-600x450.jpg IMG_5024-600x450.jpg

I’ll get on with some other jobs like building the wheels while that hardens off a bit. 

Duncan B

7 minutes ago, Grunhertz said:

Looks great mate 

I’m struggling a bit at the moment. Lots of masking for the yellow nose which is done and now to let me get started painting the wings. 

IMG_5025-600x450.jpg

I’ll be running 2 airbrushes with the 2 camo colours so that will speed things up after tea. Looks like I’m in for a long night though!

Out of shot are the completed prop, wheels and rudder so all the little bits are ready to be thrown on at the end  

Duncan B

• Like 1

Wings done although the RLM75 needs touching up where I’ve had a little lifting. That’s next once the paint is loaded again. 

IMG_5027-600x450.jpg IMG_5028-338x450.jpg

I have given up on the coffee, onto the mulled wine now. Well I’m about to start the mottling so I’ll need a steady hand ;)

Duncan B

• Haha 1

First round of mottling done, RLM75. I know this scheme is indicative of a particular factory but can’t remember which one, WNF?

IMG_5030-600x450.jpg

Back onto the RLM74 for the heavy mottling now. It looks like the previous owners markings were sprayed over. 

Duncan B

• Like 1

Gloss coat on so it’s full steam ahead early tomorrow to the finish line. 

That’s been a growler of a day, 17 hours!

Duncan B

ps I ended up doing another hour!

• Like 2