Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Invictaag

Fokker Dr1 1:72 Scale

Recommended Posts

I did a fair bit of research on the different aircraft kits that Eduard produce before I decided to have a go at building this Fokker Dr1 for this challenge. I spent Christmas at my Parents in Kent and I had to pre-plan the whole build operation down to the finest details, what tools and paints did I need, what order to build and paint each part, and how long each process was likely to take. I caught the 19:30 ferry to Cairnryan in Scotland last Friday (21st) and then with Archie (my hound) navigating I had a 10 hour overnight drive down to Kent. The Wife and Daughter were flying over on Christmas Eve so I had 48 hours of peace and quiet to attempt this build.

So firstly the all important start time/date and box contents,

resized_23761233-742a-4eca-b330-1355b227

resized_f3bdd729-dbda-4bda-a73d-0ee01c41

resized_74d1bad8-1dca-4341-a1a7-4dd52a3b

resized_3ad26258-d30f-46e9-a334-8d55976b

I made a start on the Fuselage and Cockpit area, the Cockpit "floor" and rear Bulkhead were glued in place and then the iside was painted light brown and tan. The Pilots's Seat had to be a red/brown which I didn't have so I used a brown with a light coat of red over the top, it looks good enough. The Seat Belt decals were then fitted and the 2 Fuselage sides glued together and clamped. I then took Archie for a walk to let the glue set,

resized_f0f0e173-5b7c-4fbd-a660-a453d00e

resized_9dc63eb8-c135-4dab-93ae-634331ec

resized_3b6ff51e-7e00-4761-9dae-85662551

Back from the walk and after a food break I fitted the lower Wing, like the Fuselage this was a near perfect fit.

resized_363141e3-9c31-4475-a935-77bca2c9

resized_4df89703-c577-488c-83c0-c0da7672

It was now time to paint the underneath light blue. I would be using aerosol paint from now on, lt light blue, white and red from a range of aerosol's that B & Q do. My Father's garage doesn't have a light in it and it was now dark out side so finished for the evening.

 

 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sorry for the delay, I was at my Sister-in-law's for New Year with very little Internet access.

Sunday 23rd morning and it was time to get on with the spray painting. I masked off the Cockpit and then sprayed the underside of the Fuselage and the underside of the other 2 Wings with light blue. This went on fine and I left it in the Kitchen for an hour or 2 whilst Archie got a walk. I next fitted the rear Wing and Tailplane to the Fuselage and then masked off the light blue areas. The Tail was then sprayed white and again left it a couple of hours. So far so good, the white parts were then masked off and the aircraft, the upper parts of the 2 upper Wings, and the support brackets for the Wings and Under Carriage were then sprayed red. This went on fine but when I checked them a couple of hours later I discovered this had happened to the lower Wing upper surface.

resized_2a912068-6398-44b5-a513-38c817a9

resized_7764a274-e0c0-40a0-8759-e4f67480

resized_6e7b242f-2ea3-4fb9-b1eb-9316e1f4

resized_626337f1-a714-41ef-aa86-a9785936

The other parts that I sprayed red were all ok, so I don't know what happened. I am no expert on spray painting and at the moment I don't know how to solve the problem. My first reaction was to chuck the whole thing in the bin and take up some other pastime like Knitting, but I would like to solve this problem and get this finished, even though it's going to be well over the 48 hours time limit. It says it's an Enamel finish but the small print on the can says it's Acrylic so not too sure at the moment. Anyone got any ideas what to do with this.

Gutted Andy

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This may be drastic but put it in a bag with some mister muscle oven cleaner and respray? It's a shame Andy but never mind these things happen 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 02/01/2019 at 08:36, Grunhertz said:

This may be drastic but put it in a bag with some mister muscle oven cleaner and respray? It's a shame Andy but never mind these things happen 

Thanks Darren I'll give it a try when I get chance. I was a bit annoyed at the time because I hate giving up on things and I wanted to finish it as there doesn't seem to be as many people posting builds as there used to be. Still as you say "these things happen"

Cheers Andy

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think the photo bucket issues of a year or so ago put a lot of people off. And Facebook is easy gratification. But I appreciate every build that goes on this site so please keep posting folks 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 04/01/2019 at 10:36, Paul Brown said:

Looks like a reaction between different media. What paints were you using?

I was using Aerosol paints from B&Q, I had used the red on my Red Arrows build with no problems. This was the last part that I sprayed and as it was getting dark I may have been rushing a bit and put too much paint on in one go. I'll know next time to just stick to brush painting LOL

Cheers Andy

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...