MAD STEVES BIIIIIG THREAD ON LITTLE AFV'S

Afternoon Everyone :) 

As well as building 1/48th Armour, I also like building 72nd scale stuff and have collected quite a few over the years. I want to start building them and instead of doing one thread for each vehicle, I thought I'd just lump them all together in one big post :analintruder:

There's no distinct theme to the 72nd scale stuff, they were all bought on the Ohhh, that looks nice principle :)

So to kick off we'll start with this one.....

20211017_161857.thumb.jpg.c6d4284f0922d0af8b141946e53542af.jpg

This really is the most confused Airfix kit I've ever bought. 

It says on the lid its a Soft Top. 

But on the runner is a Hard top...

20211018_143044.thumb.jpg.0146eedbaa8befade47a14fcf0819320.jpg

There's no rear door bit for a hard top,(its a clear part) but most importantly, there's no soft top!. Also, There's 2 GS trailers in the box :) (This isn't the first time, the 105mm gun, I had 3 in the box) :).

Luckily one of my friends had a soft top and brought it round this morning.

20211018_144944.thumb.jpg.35fa6cde049ee538ccb0f93bd99811bb.jpg

Right then, I wont bore you with how shockingly this thing fits together. You cant even blame Airfix this time because its actually an old JB Models kit, but they did do some great little subjects so we'll keep quiet about it :) 

It really does need a lot of work to actually fit together, but I spent a fun afternoon coming up with new swear words until after about 3 hours, this surfaced from the pile of file shavings....

20211018_160800.thumb.jpg.fcf0647fde9102ff7b2e6b44d2286ac7.jpg

I'm really not aiming for historical accuracy here,(nooooo, really :)) I just like the way it looks, Although, I've never actually seen an open cab Land Rover like this.

I've drilled out the headlights, which i'll fill with Kristal Kleer (so there's no horrible silver painted headlights) and I drilled out the exhaust pipe. There's still quite a bit of filing and sanding to do, but it was a fun afternoon and that's the whole point.

It wont be in Desert paint either, but rather the usual green & black :) 

More later 

• Like 6

I did the Landy and trailer several years ago when I was building a diorama for an ATC squadron hut. It's quite a sweet kit as you would expect from an ex-JB product, the man behind the kits was the same guy that did all the Matchbox AFVs and softskins. Over the last few years I've been tracking down the Matchbox kits because I missed out on the original releases, in fact I think I need to build one or two of them as stress busters. I like Braille scale tanks, if you can build them well they have a gem like quality to them.

• Like 1
41 minutes ago, Gorby said:

The two which have stuck in my memory as being fave's were the Matilda and the Scorpion.

Both of which coming soon to a computer screen in front of you... :) 

32 minutes ago, Paul Brown said:

the man behind the kits was the same guy that did all the Matchbox AFVs and softskins. Over the last few years I've been tracking down the Matchbox kits because I missed out on the original releases, in fact I think I need to build one or two of them as stress busters. I like Braille scale tanks, if you can build them well they have a gem like quality to them.

I didn't know that :) 

I'm also on the hunt, have been for a while, for the Matchbox kits. Yeees you can buy Revell repops, but its just... not the same, is it. 

• Like 2

JB kits are great little models.

I've done the Landy LWB soft top,the Bedford Tactical helicopter/Harrier refueller and also have a 

Landy FWC ambulance in the starsh.

One I did miss out on some years ago(about 15 IIRC) was an Alvis Stalwart.

At South Cheshire Militaire a bloke must've had about 25 boxes of 'em on a stall,muggins here didn't buy one

and I've never ever seen one since.

Apparently there's those who say it was on the stocks but never done,but there the kit was that day.

It must be a very,very,very rare bird indeed.

• Like 1

I never knew that 😁

I know Ace and S&M do a Stalwart, but didnt know JB did one. 

But yeah, your muggins is the same as my muggins... whole box all the Matchbox AFVs, some of them 2 or 3 of... offered the box, said no, I was broke. Dumbass 😁

The Alvis Salamander is available now as well, also ACE i think. 

4 minutes ago, Mad Steve said:

I never knew that 😁

I know Ace and S&M do a Stalwart, but didnt know JB did one. 

But yeah, your muggins is the same as my muggins... whole box all the Matchbox AFVs, some of them 2 or 3 of... offered the box, said no, I was broke. Dumbass 😁

The Alvis Salamander is available now as well, also ACE i think. 

It's strongly fancied that the S&M one is actually the JB.

I know about Ace's and their Salamander,they're supposed to ridiculously detailed and very,very fiddly to build.

The Salamander retails for £25-£28 over here,bit stiff for such a small model TBH.(don't forget,I'm in the Laird's camp here)

• Haha 1
6 minutes ago, Paul Brown said:

The ACE kits are worth a punt, the plastic is a little soapy, but they are highly detailed.

DSC_0368.thumb.JPG.b5f27942c26ae36e2eba1fe9be612af1.JPG

That Salamander!  :x

I know,it looks a real doozy.

I have the Mick Bell drawings of it(to 1/76th though)and passed them onto out resident 3D printerer at  The Lost Cosmodrome..................

Here's the ACE one:

https://www.super-hobby.cz/products/FV-651-Mk.6-Crash-Tender-Salamander.html

Someone "next door" did one and reckoned it was highly detailed but very,very fiddly

to build.

Edited by Miggers
43 minutes ago, Paul Brown said:

ACE kits are broken down into fahzands and fahzands of parts. 

That's what the man "next door" alluded to,way too many bits for what it was,but it looked the dog's doofers

when built and painted.

10 minutes ago, Miggers said:

That's what the man "next door" alluded to,way too many bits for what it was,but it looked the dog's doofers

when built and painted.

Yeah, but some of them say that about Airfix Quickbuilds..... :hrhr:

• Haha 5
9 hours ago, Gorby said:

Good idea for a thread Steve.

I used to love these tiny kits back when I was young'un. The two which have stuck in my memory as being fave's were the Matilda and the Scorpion.

Built the Scorpion c1975/6.  Was one of my faves too.  And it really is tiny! lol

Nice one Steve.
I have a 1/72 vehicle thread started waaay back in the early days of the forum 
Did I ever mention how much I detest macro photos?

• Like 2

Nice one Steve, though I note with critical disapproval that you have gone from being agnostic (1/48) to being a heathen (1/72). Why do I suspect the Gorbmeister has a hand in this......

Anyhow, looking forward to further interesting builds here.

• Haha 3
5 hours ago, Walrus said:

Built the Scorpion c1975/6.  Was one of my faves too.  And it really is tiny! lol

Nice one Steve.
I have a 1/72 vehicle thread started waaay back in the early days of the forum 
Did I ever mention how much I detest macro photos?

Oh thats quite cool 😁👍

I like the Marmon Herrington and the Bedford. 

Ill do my best not to take photos of any macro's 😁

• Haha 3

Who knew, such drama at such a small scale....

Firstly, everything was painted XF Olive Green, and then lightly freehanded XF Nato Black camo... and it looks shite and its too light..

20211022_151130.thumb.jpg.3f92e11d13b7f8b271b4588152f0f75d.jpg

Soooooooo, back to the drawing board. Sand, repaint and hand paint the black camo...

I'll be back :) 

• Like 3
3 hours ago, Mad Steve said:

Who knew, such drama at such a small scale....

Firstly, everything was painted XF Olive Green, and then lightly freehanded XF Nato Black camo... and it looks shite and its too light..

20211022_151130.thumb.jpg.3f92e11d13b7f8b271b4588152f0f75d.jpg

Soooooooo, back to the drawing board. Sand, repaint and hand paint the black camo...

I'll be back :) 

Alright Arnie, calm down :laugh:

Keep this up and I'll be telling terrible stories about working on real sized Landies before you know it.

• Haha 2