1/12 scale Cowboy Chuck Wagon, wood and metal kit by Model Trailways

Horsedrawn kits are Brilliant to me, I wish there was a British model company making English Horsedrawn stuff, like the Old English Haywain, Sussex Farm Waggon and so on, but no, Still it's fascinating to make the American West Vehicles, just to see how they solved the Horsedrawn problems of the Wild West. Here we Go with the Chuck wagon.

box_artwork_hdpxqi.jpg 

open the lid and lets take a peek in the box

box_open_moment_m7oqi3.jpg

there are a lot of 1/12 drawings included in the kit showing every angle and detail.

lift those out and see what's in there. Strips of lazer cut basswood, excellent kit from Model Trailways as always.

parts_in_the_box_kkuf2z.jpg 

Edited by Sprocket
typo
  • Like 2

First task is to check the contents off with the part list, done that and everything is here, I had a small part missing from their last kit, filled in the form online and they mailed it out to me toot sweet, that was impressive customer service.

The first step in making one of these kits is the fettling of the axles, so the hubs slip right on without a hitch, you can see the axle is cast and the hub is spun, so the axle ends need sanding to get rid of the mold ridge.

axle_prior_to_shaping_bbhox8.jpg

when all the axles fit all the hubs (you don't know at this stage who's paired up with what) it's time to rig the jig. The kit provides a self assembly wheel jig. Nip out the rim of the wheel from the lazer cut plank, sand it true and pin it to the drawing making sure it's all even, you don't want to build a wonkey wheel. so the hub is centred on the plan. Like this, measure three or four times.

hind_wheel_1a_cjedsa.jpg

• Like 2

pinned in place, the one piece rim sits fair and square on the plan as you nip out, sand and shape all the lazer cut spokes.

spokes_shaved_wyqyu8.jpg

each one needs to the the same as it's neighbour, so your sanding method has to be the same for all the spokes.

This is a nice job on a sunny day, with a beer to one side and a brolly overhead to cast a shade over the work. It's over too soon, despite the large number of spokes to shape, curved in the middle, square at the shoulder and the knock.

curved_sanding_block_fafyf5.jpg

• Like 3

I use serious glue to bond the spokes in the hub and on the inside curve of the fellie. Leave that overnight to harden before I un-pin it from the jig. Note, all the fellie joints are evenly spaced between two spoke per fellie, the pins are pinned close to those fellie scribed join lines.

all_spokes_fitted_f1ckxq.jpg

• Like 2

turn my attention to the fore carriage. It would appear that the hound of the fore-carriage was made by a steam bent curved piece, in real life.  first_steps_on_the_forecarriage_u2p7sw.j

Here's a picture of the forecarriage of an English farm wagon. horse for Courses, or wagons for trails.

British_Forecarriage_mn7qkm.jpg

• Like 2
2 hours ago, Jessie_C said:

But remember how that plotline ended

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQz70dCUKTM67J4Elya1kX

Didn't Potts make a fortune on Toot sweets, get the girl, defeat the villain (who eventually got sucked out of the Presidents own plane "playing his golden harp") make a really memorable automobile out of scrap......bit of a Lad,  

• Like 1

The fore-carriage underway, late in the day I decided that spraying the PE sheet from the kit was a great idea, trying to pick out the iron fitting after would be unnecessary.

pe_sheet_painted_black_skieve.jpg

The blacksmith had a lot of input into the construction of a wagon.

bolster_trial_fit_dgkkry.jpg

• Like 2
22 hours ago, Jessie_C said:

That's very intricate and it looks like the kit is really well engineered.

This is my third kit of theirs, the Western Mountain Buckboard

almost_done_j4usks.jpg

and their Fire Brigade Hook and ladder wagon.

upper_and_lower_ladders_test_fit_b_lfauv

both are really, as you say, well engineered, they own the market as I know of no other kits on the market like this.

we appear to be in the golden era of the hobbyist model maker.

• Like 1