Jump to content

Miko's Model Worx


Recommended Posts

I'll use this as my build thread page

a place holder photo, this is a stalled project, remember I build in themes one being 'First and Last'?

Prototype NA39 and Buccaneer S2b

The original NA39 kit from a million years ago, very basic, lots of sawing and filing filling and bending bits of plasticard and  brass tubing, copper wire  etc.

and the now redundant first Buccaneer kit from the seventies (I think? where's a pedant when you need one?)

P1014773.jpg

  • Like 5
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Col. said:

Oooooh, nice, which scheme are you planning for the S2b?

Not sure, maybe XX885 operated by 'Hawker Hunter Aviation' out of Scampton in overall grey

XX988 in black and yellow, one that went off to Thunder City Cape Town SA

or most probably XT272 out of RAE Bedford, so it fits in with my 'raspberry ripple' thing and. . . I have the Air Decal set too

to fit in with the 'first and last' it needs to be one of the last to fly, not sure which one that is?

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, MikoLee said:

Not sure, maybe XX885 operated by 'Hawker Hunter Aviation' out of Scampton in overall grey

XX988 in black and yellow, one that went off to Thunder City Cape Town SA

or most probably XT272 out of RAE Bedford, so it fits in with my 'raspberry ripple' thing and. . . I have the Air Decal set too

to fit in with the 'first and last' it needs to be one of the last to fly, not sure which one that is?

At a guess I'd say XX988 but that's one for my own long-term Bucc fleet plan if I can find a source of suitable decals :)

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, MikoLee said:

Do you mean this one? I have a decal set for this

image-2021-10-12-114038.png

Was thinking of the gloss black one with the Shell logos on the intakes but that one's got a bit of colour about it.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, MikoLee said:

I'll use this as my build thread page

a place holder photo, this is a stalled project, remember I build in themes one being 'First and Last'?

Prototype NA39 and Buccaneer S2b

The original NA39 kit from a million years ago, very basic, lots of sawing and filing filling and bending bits of plasticard and  brass tubing, copper wire  etc.

and the now redundant first Buccaneer kit from the seventies (I think? where's a pedant when you need one?)

P1014773.jpg

Surprising what you can do with those old 80's Buccaneers you know Miko:

9 hours ago, MikoLee said:

Not sure, maybe XX885 operated by 'Hawker Hunter Aviation' out of Scampton in overall grey

XX988 in black and yellow, one that went off to Thunder City Cape Town SA

or most probably XT272 out of RAE Bedford, so it fits in with my 'raspberry ripple' thing and. . . I have the Air Decal set too

to fit in with the 'first and last' it needs to be one of the last to fly, not sure which one that is?

I'd say for definite that HHA's is the only one still a flyer,though it was that a private buyer had one of the ex-Thunder City jets and was flying it either in S.A or the U.S of.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Miggers said:

Surprising what you can do with those old 80's Buccaneers you know Miko:

Oh yes I know, much better than the Matchbox kit I built OOB as a 208sqn (I think)

Somewhere in the deepest darkest regions of the built kit archive I have and Airfix copy built as an 'Op Granby' laser designator complete with 'pave spike' pod in Humbrol Hu250 desert pink with 'sky pirates' decal set from. . . . . ? can't remember! and something to do with altering the wing tips of the Bucc for that role? Nearly thirty years ago, my recall isn't what it used to be???

Knowing up there in the clear blue Buccs were out of their comfort zone and I imagined their time would have been better spent roaming fast and low over the ocean like desert seeking out Scud launchers to dispatch them with a volley of SNEB rockets!

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, MikoLee said:

Airfix copy built as an 'Op Granby' laser designator complete with 'pave spike' pod in Humbrol Hu250 desert pink with 'sky pirates' decal set from. . .

I think that was the second issue of it,an Op Granby jet and an 809 Ark Royal jet.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Miggers said:

I think that was the second issue of it,an Op Granby jet and an 809 Ark Royal jet.

It was a 1989 issue, the pave spike and the decals were after market, the kit included markings for a 208sqn on a DkGrn /DSG wraparound camo.

I still have a copy of the old Airfix kit, it will probably end up as a 'what if?' . . . . How about a Japanese naval version flying of 'JN Izumo' taking part in operation 'Pearl Harbour II' !! I even have a pair of ASM3a anti ship missiles from my Mitsubishi F2a kit, a Buccaneer would look pretty cool in that two tone blue sea camo!

Edited by MikoLee
Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, MikoLee said:

It was a 1989 issue, the pave spike and the decals were after market, the kit included markings for a 208sqn on a DkGrn /DSG wraparound camo.

I still have a copy of the old Airfix kit, it will probably end up as a 'what if?' . . . . How about a Japanese naval version flying of 'JN Izumo' taking part in operation 'Pearl Harbour II' !! I even have a pair of ASM3a anti ship missiles from my Mitsubishi F2a kit, a Buccaneer would look pretty cool in that two tone blue sea camo!

Gods teeth man,you're sailing in Azureglo's waters now,his bag is "whiffers" of that ilk.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

it's a great way of using 'redundant' kits, earlier Buccs Lightnings Hunters etc, they have little value after they have been superseded by newer kits, so, time for alternate history versions, and, as mentioned, 'what if's' are never wrong, so no detail accuracy stress!

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, MikoLee said:

much better than the Matchbox kit

The MB jet is quite nice TBH,far better undercart and IFR,but it's main problem is (apart from nowt up front)that it's

got a moulded in bulged bomb bay door,so no good for a Fleet jet without major surgery.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, MikoLee said:

it's a great way of using 'redundant' kits, earlier Buccs Lightnings Hunters etc, they have little value after they have been superseded by newer kits, so, time for alternate history versions, and, as mentioned, 'what if's' are never wrong, so no detail accuracy stress!

Have a good read through that linky to my old Airfix 1980's Bucc refurb and rebuild.

I seem to be doing quite a few models up I've had for years at the moment,

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Miggers said:

Have a good read through that linky to my old Airfix 1980's Bucc refurb and rebuild.

I seem to be doing quite a few models up I've had for years at the moment,

Yep, I'm not averse to a 'mister muscle' dip strip and start again, as skills improve and aftermarket expands it's a good way to improve the fleet

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/10/2021 at 18:26, Miggers said:

that HHA's is the only one still a flyer

They recently announced that it and the Su-22 are not going to fly any time soon (if ever) and their F-4F deal with Germany fell through.

 

On 12/10/2021 at 19:34, MikoLee said:

it will probably end up as a 'what if?

http://www.german-navy.de/web/ScaleModels/ScaleModel20150711123644.jpg

http://www.german-navy.de/web/ScaleModels/ScaleModel20150711123606.jpg

 

To think politics (and dodgy stuff) took over and they got the F-104G!.

Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, RWG686 said:

To think politics (and dodgy stuff) took over and they got the F-104G!.

Half the crew cots!

(begin black humour)

Spoiler

And no retirement benefits to pay out...

(end black humour)

  • Like 2
  • Haha 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

A donation from a workmate, needs no introduction, Airfix 1979 edition of Spitfire MkIa

Airfix-Spit-1-1.jpgAirfix-Spit-1-2.jpgAirfix-Spit-1-3.jpg

 

I'll knock this one out this weekend and present it back to my workmate on Monday

 

Pilot Quote ''nevermind taking sodding photos just get on with it man!''

Have you ever noticed how Airfix RAF WWII pilots look like they are busting for a pee?

airfix-pilot.jpg

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, MikoLee said:

Have you ever noticed how Airfix RAF WWII pilots look like they are busting for a pee?

True but at least they look more involved in the process than the other option from Airfix sitting with both hands resting on his legs. That one may as well be on the bus :rolleyes:

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...