Sign in to follow this  
Gimmie Shelter

British Airways L-1011 Tristar

A real old beauty from way back in 1980 when Hasegawa launched their 1/200 Love Liner 200 Civil Aircraft Series, the British Airways Negus & Negus livery L-1011 Tristar. I always felt it a shame that Hasegawa never went on to produce a -500 series or at least include an extra sprue with the 'Frisbee' streamlining stem that was later added to the underside the centre engine of a number airlines L-1011's and was a standard feature of the -500. It is not difficult to add to the kit, just annoying the manufacturer didn't as the alteration in 1/200 would have been relatively easy to mill out of the original mould.

My kit was still sealed until last weekend when I got this one onto the work bench - it was raining hard and needed something to do while my 777's and Pokémon 747 were drying off after some decaling. I felt a bit sad breaking the kits contents bag seal but the kit was intended to be built, as opposed to be kept as a reminder of when manufacturers of civil aircraft kits actually thought of BA as a livery worth including in their range.

here she is so far, ready for the windows to be infilled. I am deliberating whether or not to have her flaps and slats deployed. As you can see from her nearly 39 year old decal sheet, Hasegawa had some very ludicrous ideas about how their modellers went about building a kit with a solid blue under-belly.

DSCF8189 (2)

DSCF8190 (2)

DSCF8192 (2)

Thanks for following if this type of kit interests you

• Like 2

I was just thinking that the big blue underside decals would be a bit of a hoot to get on correctly........................................NOT.

An old school mate's father was on the design team for the RB-211 for these rascals too.

IIRC,he had a "nozzle guide vane" from one for a paper weight.

Edited by Miggers
  • Like 1

You're in luck for the engines. Most Tristars had Updated RB-211s with a much sorter hot section, but in that scheme they had the longer engines provided in the kit.

On ‎06‎/‎01‎/‎2019 at 05:23, Jessie_C said:

You're in luck for the engines. Most Tristars had Updated RB-211s with a much sorter hot section, but in that scheme they had the longer engines provided in the kit.

Cheers Jessie - that is appreciated as I was considering modifying the hot ends of these 3 Rollers. I went on line and investigated the BA RB211's used in the early Negus Negus days on this aircrafts reg and the model is correct however when she went on to later wear the Landor livery, she had been reshod with the shorter jet end version.

John

She's coming along, the majority of the wings slats and flaps are almost completed now - its a bit fiddly in 1/200 having only ever tried this in 1/144 before and this old Hasegawa plastic is tougher than an out of date dry Weetabix...

DSCF8220 (2)

DSCF8222 (2)

DSCF8225 (2)

DSCF8227 (2)

DSCF8228 (2)

DSCF8229 (2)

DSCF8230 (2)

DSCF8231 (2)

DSCF8232 (2)

DSCF8233

DSCF8234 (2)

DSCF8235

I've also built the lovely wing pair of RB211 Roller's but have not got around to updating my pictures yet - I'll upload some once they are airbrushed up in their 50 shades of grey and silver

Thanks for trooping along with the build

John

Edited by Gimmie Shelter
spelling
  • Like 4

12 hours ago, Gimmie Shelter said:

Cheers Jessie - that is appreciated as I was considering modifying the hot ends of these 3 Rollers. I went on line and investigated the BA RB211's used in the early Negus Negus days on this aircrafts reg and the model is correct however when she went on to later wear the Landor livery, she had been reshod with the shorter jet end version.

And of course, every model ever produced, even the legendary Doyusha kit of fond memory (apart from the Welsh models kits released about 10-odd years ago) has had the original engines. In days past Bra.Z resin did 1/200 updated RB.211s, but there's nothing available now :(

Your model is going to look refreshingly different.

Edited by Jessie_C
Why is it that you don't see the spelling mistakes until after you pushed "Send"?
  • Thanks 1

cheers for the encouragement and guidance.

There has been a lot of rubbing down and sanding in-between the 3 coats of primer so far but I am now close to the gloss white stage. I measured the kits moulded door recessed lines which match my Nazca decal detail set so at least I wont have to fill in the door outlines of each door to make the Nazca decal fit properly.

DSCF8223 (2)

DSCF8248

DSCF8242

DSCF8245

DSCF8249

Starting work on the RB211 Rollers

DSCF8246

DSCF8247

Thanks for following along and for any other help you can provide me here

John

• Like 4

OK Jessie C

Its not much but I did a bit more for you and your popcorn last night.....!

Undercarriage pillars now painted (not really a scale for elaborate multiple use of shades of grey here)

DSCF8251

Starting to paint the wheels and tyres. I'll use that handing RP Tools punch set again to make masks for this process

DSCF8253

And a bit more work on those precious RB211's

DSCF8252

• Like 2

some updates again here. The wings and rear stabilisers are completed and decaled up using Nazca decals L1011 corroguard detailing set and the 4 differing shades of metallic silvers recommended by Hasegawa for the early bare metal RB211's is now also completed. The engines decals should go on later this week one evening.

DSCF8260

DSCF8267

DSCF8274

DSCF8276

DSCF8277

Thanks for dropping in again

John

• Like 2

On ‎14‎/‎01‎/‎2019 at 19:52, Grunhertz said:

That's nice looking what metals did you use 

Thanks - Alcad II in 4 flavours:

Aluminium, Polished Aluminium, Hot Metal and White Aluminium all at about 8psi.

I got talking to a retired BA engineer / Ground team member earlier this week who confirmed that BA's L1011's early Tristar Negus 100's fleet had an ever changing variety of shades on the outer casing of their RB211's. He explained that once an engine change was made, the aircraft would never have a matching pair of wing mounted coloured powerplant casings prior to the engine casings being painted partly in blue when the Landor livery came in.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Grunhertz said:

Great I must give alclad a try sometime 

I thoroughly recommend them - but go easy on the old PSI irrespective of what the bottle label says: 8-12 max - if you follow the guide on the label you will end up in a mess when using the Alcad metallic colour range

Hi Tristar followers.

Some updates for you below. I had a bit of a crisis at the weekend when airbrushing the 6th coat of gloss white over the fuselage left me having to sand it back and start again (TIP: never airbrush with the workshop door open while it is snowing outside!!). Here's where I am, jus ahead of going BA Blue on the lower fuselage belly.

On with the undercarriage now that the hubs are already silver. Masking added using my RP Toolz punch set

DSCF8308

DSCF8315

Engine number 2 (Intake nacelle)

DSCF8316 DSCF8318

DSCF8319

DSCF8320

Masked up ready for the BA Blue belly coating

DSCF8322

Thanks for following along

John

• Like 1

This classic old tri-jet widebody has hit the slow down lane of the production line having been overtaken by my Qantas 767. I have been working on the L1011 intermittently and have just started to add the fuselage decals. I am using the Nazca Detailing set here along with the very old original decals from the kit - these have had to be lacquered over to hopefully hold them together.

Perhaps not the straightest of lines on this one which is annoying given the love and care put into the masking - perhaps I wont use 1mm wide tape for the very border edge of the dividing paint line next time as it has not given a straight line despite the tension I used when applying it along both sides of the fuselage >:(

DSCF8377

Engine 2 fitted

DSCF8379

DSCF8386

DSCF8387

DSCF8388

Thanks for following on again here

John