Miko Model Worx

This is probably the first time I took a photo of a kit I had build, mostly because of the invention of the camera phone!

Airfix Vulcan in 1/72, part of a 617sqn thing I had going on at the time and the first time for me using Halfords Appliance White

vulcan-Copy.jpg

• Like 7
5 hours ago, Gorby said:

Niiiiiice!

The O/400 looks great. I have considered getting it over the years but always chickened out because of the rigging.

Probably a good one to start your rigging adventures, there holes are predrilled and a comprehensive 'how to' in the instructions

Not sure if this one is still in the Airfix catalogue but I'd get an older copy from eBay if I were you, the mold for this one must be pretty well worn by now.

Interesting four part fuselage assembly on this one, I forgot to trap the transparency in the tail end, boy was my face red! Unlike the missing portside nav light! Ha!

• Like 1
2 hours ago, BlackMike Models said:

Keep them coming

Duncan B

2 hours ago, RWG686 said:

I agree with @BlackMike Models show us some more please.

(it will maybe be the metaphorical boot up the arse that I need to get building again)

My first attempt at a conversion, the plan was to build every Mk. of spitfire in 1/48 I don't remember the kit? but because there was no MkXII available the best option was a MKXV, a Seafire II

this being the only other with a single stage RR Griffon, early XII's were a MkV with a huge great engine bolted on the nose! I don't remember all the details but it's was a matter of clipping the wings moving cannon ports around something to do with the MkV oil cooler, the engine exhaust stacks aren't quite right and whether or not to have the pointy MkIX tail, apparently the early ones didn't

DSCF0220-Copy.jpg

Prop blades on the Seafire donor kit were shorter too, something to do with deck clearance I suppose on carrier op's

not sure how this one lost two? would've impaired it's performance somewhat! Ha!

DSCF0221-Copy.jpg

This one from my 'Swedish Period'.  1/72 Revell (I think?) Fiat CR42

Bought second hand it had a part missing (grrrrrr!) the spats on the main undercart were in two halves to allow trapping the wheel letting it turn for a more realistic take off and landing for those sorties around the living room! I scratched a new half by laminating a few pieces of plasticard and getting my Michelangelo on and carving it into shape!

I posted this build in UAMF I still remember the single word comment left by our resident peebeep from back then which was  ''Result''!

Weird the things we remember, that I know, what I did last Tuesday? no idea?

DSCF0719-1-Copy.jpg

Miko

• Like 5

I can't claim any more than 'Technical advisor' on this one, in an attempt to gain greater understanding of my hobby this one was built my missus Miko which she derisively calls 'doin' a bidda stickin' (cheeky mare), my plan was to get her the 'classic' 1979 edition of Airfix Spitfire mkIIa, a great introduction into the hobby, a simple build of a great looking icon of British aviation, oddly non of the local models shops had one in stock (LMS, remember those, I had maybe half a dozen to go at back then, down to just one now) So a Revell MkV was the substitute

This was her first ever, with no physical help from me, Honest!

Sarahsspitfire0-Copy.jpg

Sarahsspitfire1-Copy.jpg

Sarahsspitfire2-Copy.jpg

• Like 6
1 minute ago, Gorby said:

That looks great, shame she didn't try any others. Perhaps a different subject would interest her more.

Nah, she prefers the whirr of her sewing machine to the smell of solvents, pretty good result though, she a 'try anything once' kinda girl

'except incest and country dancing' . . . quote Sir Thomas Beecham

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
3 hours ago, MikoLee said:

Not sure if this one is still in the Airfix catalogue but I'd get an older copy from eBay if I were you, the mold for this one must be pretty well worn by now.

Flash is not a result of wear due to age, I assume flash is the thing you are trying to avoid and which you think occurs due to the age of the mould. In the normal moulding process no plastic is present between the two mating mould faces so therefore no wear occurs. Flash, and most other defects, are caused by bad condition setting or tooling defects such as the loss of a cooling water line etc etc.

• Like 1
32 minutes ago, DC3 said:

Flash is not a result of wear due to age, I assume flash is the thing you are trying to avoid and which you think occurs due to the age of the mould. In the normal moulding process no plastic is present between the two mating mould faces so therefore no wear occurs. Flash, and most other defects, are caused by bad condition setting or tooling defects such as the loss of a cooling water line etc etc.

Yep, I pretty much understand the injection molding technology, but still, and older copy is preferable to a newer copy for a number of reasons, the quality of the plastic used being one

As a part of my homage to WEW (Teddy) Petter this is one of my 'first and last' builds, responding to ER103 English Electric WG760 culminating some years later with the company owned XP639, not sure if it was a full F6 specification or F3a

Aeroclub vacuform P1 and the latest Airfix F2a, not the F6, there are a few differences the ventral cannons being one!

DSC-0687-Copy.jpg

DSC-0686-Copy.jpg

The Teddy Petter homage continues with a Westland Whirlwind prototype, simple conversion that one, mostly an all dk grey paint job and repositioning of the radio mast, there were other minor difference between the proto and the MkI, I have photo's somewhere, but can't find them just now?

More Petter brilliance with EE A1 Canberra prototype VN799

P7133271-Copy.jpg

P7133263-Copy.jpg

A lot of scratch building added to the original Airfix Canberra B6, checkout those hand made flaps and jet pipes

More Petteresque builds include a MatchboxF6/Airfix F1a 'cut 'n shut' before 'Sword' gave us a T4

This one in the pretty 145 Sqn paint job from the mid sixties out of RAF Middleton St George

PA053787-Copy.jpg

PA053788-Copy.jpg

PA053789-Copy.jpg

Teddy Petters last gift to the world of aviation the Folland Gnat I have the Airfix kit with a decal set covering 'Meteorological Research Flight' (swords to ploughshares thing again)  remains as yet unbuilt in the stash

Miko, more tomorrow

• Like 12

I do like to build to a theme, and this one is one of my favourites.

Two vessels built a life time apart for the same mission, to explore a hostile environment, it still amazes me a bit to consider they are in the same scale

Ladies and Gentlemen. . . . Discovery

DSC-0552-Copy.jpg

• Like 9
2 hours ago, MikoLee said:

DSC-0552-Copy.jpg

Not a good brain day today and when I first saw that I thought

:wtf: 

:omg:

It looked like the shuttle was ready to take of from the ship.

That's going to singe the deck somewhat. :ermm:

They look very good – some closer photos, particularly of the ship would be good.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

Another Teddy Petter design, Matchbox 1/72 Westland Lysander Mk2 or 3??  Coastal Command 'air sea rescue' with scratch air drop life rafts and tiny tiny ventral smoke bomb

P1014754.jpgP1014757.jpgP1014761.jpgP1014764.jpg

The Great man himself!

William Edward Willoughby "Teddy" Petter CBE FRAeS (8 August 1908, Highgate in Middlesex – 1 May 1968, Béruges)

Pic1.jpg

• Like 6