Gurkha basha / basher assistance

Hi Gang,

I'm working on the Men at Arms / A New Hope 54mm Falklands Gurkha figure, for a little vignette. I'm hoping to show his overnight shelter in some way. Was there any kind of standard kit for setting up over a trench? If so, or if not, was a pole used for support? Were they DPM or plain green? 

Thanks for any help,

Gareth

• Like 1

in '82 i guess they would have used their ponchos which were olive green............we used to dig a shell scrape 2 x persons wide/long and about 2 foot deep and peg out the poncho over the top but you are talking Falklands.............a lot wetter or rockier so no idea how they did it

i used to work with a guy who was in 2 Para who was a wet behind the ears 18 year old that went............lost touch ages ago or i could have asked him

Thanks for that. I'm not looking for exact detail, just some guidance on how it might have looked. This is really helpful. Trenches were certainly challenging on the Islands, as you say. Even a shallow one soon struck rock, and the wet peat meant they flooded very easily.

Cheers,

Gareth 

I haven't looked in to it that far to be frank, just trying to get a 'flavour' of the surroundings and terrain. (I'll soon find out though as I'm about to start Mike Seear's 'With The Gurkhas In The Falklands'.)

Gareth

Edited by goon
  • Like 1