Zvezda 1/72 T-35 Tank.

IMG_3785.JPG

There's really no point me waffling on about the history of this tank when this article has everything you'd ever possible want to know about it, and more:

https://tanks-encyclopedia.com/ww2/soviet/soviet_t-35.php

Long story short...it was a total failure.

So why did I want to build one? Because it had FIVE turrets that's why!  :analintruder:

As I think you need more excitement in your life, I'll leave the type of box a complete mystery.

Eight sprues in total, all packed with bits. I won't explain what each sprue is as I assume that you've not listening to this though the radio. Here we go:

IMG_3805.JPG

IMG_3808.JPG

IMG_3809.JPG

IMG_3806.JPG

The moulding looks pretty good – there was only a tiny bit of flash on one part. There were no short-shots or moulding errors at all (Airfix and IBG Models please take note).

IMG_3807.JPG

The decals are for two schemes that I'll come to later.

IMG_3810.JPG

The instructions are quite basic, although very clear.

T-35-1.jpg

If you don't like a lot of tiny wheels, this isn't the kit for you because there's loads of the little buggers. In fact it's quite a complicated and busy running gear, particularly as most of it will be completely hidden by the side skirts. I didn't go overboard with painting it, as it would be pointless.

Assembling the tracks wasn't easy (32 parts for 1/72 tank!). I completely failed in my attempt to click the individual links together, so I started by gluing the three lower parts of the track together (D30, D3 & D6) using the upside down running gear as a guide – but don't glue onto the wheels yet. Then find the first place the tracks clip onto the sprockets of the front drive wheel – and glue. Then add each piece of the seven individual track links to the front drive wheel, one at a time. The top part (D1) can then be fitted. Now this is the important bit… The instructions say that there should be eight links over each of the rear wheels, but I found that only five will fit. So if you have previously assembled the eight it suggests, your tracks aren't going to fit.

T-35-2.jpg

The rest of the construction of the tank was easy. Although I did manage to put two bits on the opposite sides to where they should go. The ends of the gun barrels are solid. The main gun was easy to drill out but the two smaller guns I just hollowed out the very end with a scalpel – which does improve their appearance a little.

T-35-3.jpg          T-35-4.jpg

There's two colouring-in options on a separate colour sheet with the list of paints required for Tamiya and whatever else that says above the other column. I love the way it calls the camo green 'protective', and their name for Tamiya's Gun metal makes me think of:

zoolander-bluesteel.gif   If you have't seen Zoolander you won't have a clue what I'm talking about. :P

T-35-5.jpg

Both schemes are all over 'protective', it's just the decals which differ. I was going to go for this scheme until I realised how difficult it was going to be to get those strips around the turrets, so I chickened out and went for the easy option.

T-35-6.jpg

Conclusion:

It's a beautifully engineered, very detailed kit which didn't need any filler. I screwed up a couple of things but that just because I'm not familiar with tank kits. It also builds into quite a sizeable model for a 1/72 tank. It's significantly longer (132mm) than my 1/48 Matilda.

As I only paid £14.39, it's an absolute bargain which I highly recommend (if fiddly little tank kits are your thing).

Click here if you want to see what mine turned out like.

Edited by Gorby
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1