Sign in to follow this  
Gimmie Shelter

ANA 747-400D - 1993 Techno Whale Special - Hasegawa 1/200 Love Liner 200

A 25 year old kit with virtually unusable decals brought to life over 6 weeks of building in between a pair of 1/144 Dreamliner's. This is one of Hasegawa's very first 747-400 releases dated back to 1993. Being the D variant, there were no winglets and the aircraft resembled more of a -300 style look - perhaps that's how Hasegawa got away with releasing a -400D before they released their -400 kits. This is a very collectable and expensive kit, normally reaching around £75 however a friend was happy to let it go for £20 on the basis of the decals being in very bad condition. Hasegawa released a similar design in 1996 when Pokémon was released and ANA adopted a single aircraft in the Pocket Monster livery.

The majority of the large decals were crazed and broken up leaving me the challenge of plenty of masking and pin stripe decaling by hand which was a challenge but fun. I used 26Decals 747 detailing set where applicable however the yellow nose stripe, white tail, whale fin, ANA logo, white whale chin were all airbrushed after careful hours of masking. The whale chin required numerous 0.5mm black decal lines which left me holding my breath to help keep my hands steady.

The livery was the result of a nationwide competition launched by ANA in 1993 given to infant and junior school children in Japan tasked to design a livery to celebrate ANA's 500th Millionth passenger carriage. She flew in service from September 1993 with a maximum passenger load of 570 bums on seats. The winning design depicts a Blue Whale with a multitude of sea creatures swimming alongside.

The 400D 747's were used by ANA for their short haul internal domestic routes around Japan for maximum capacity, many use sectors (like the older -100SR and -200SR 747's). The 747D had strengthened undercarriage to cope with multiple landings and take-offs as opposed to the long haul 747 variants.

At just about 12 inches long, this little 1/200 kit is a real joy to build and very accurate - typical to the Japanese model market in general.

Enjoy.... John

DSCF8161 (2)

DSCF8162 (2)

20181021_091044

DSCF8159 (2)

DSCF8158 (2)

DSCF8150 (2)

DSCF8148 (2)

DSCF8145 (2)

DSCF8144 (2)

DSCF8142 (2)

DSCF8120 (2)

Thanks for dropping in for a look around

John

• Like 3

Very nice. A 747 being used for shorthaul flights, I can see one in Easyjet colours, mind you British Airways did use a 747 between London and Belfast at Christmas a number of years ago, a route that is always extremely busy in the run up to the festive holidays,

Cheers Andy

9 hours ago, mac1677 said:

Very nice build, its great to see a 747 not in the ubiquitous gloss white👍

11 hours ago, Invictaag said:

Very nice. A 747 being used for shorthaul flights, I can see one in Easyjet colours, mind you British Airways did use a 747 between London and Belfast at Christmas a number of years ago, a route that is always extremely busy in the run up to the festive holidays,

Cheers Andy

22 hours ago, Grunhertz said:

Now that John, looks lovely 

On ‎03‎/‎12‎/‎2018 at 16:36, Jessie_C said:

That turned out very well indeed!

Thanks for the kind words all - I'll stick a new topic on the WIP section as I have a collection of 3 other Boeings presently on the 1/200 Everett Production line in my workshop going on at present.

9 hours ago, Gimmie Shelter said:

Thanks for the kind words all - I'll stick a new topic on the WIP section as I have a collection of 3 other Boeings presently on the 1/200 Everett Production line in my workshop going on at present.

I'm going to have to find my 1/200 WIP post that I stashed around here somewhere. I've got Boeings, Lockheeds and Airbice to build :)