Now Luft '46 isn't really my bag but as a nod to a departed modeller I'm prepared to make an exception. I'll add these to my range with a decent wedge from each sale going to the Midlands Air ambulance. Thinking a fiver a pop

So... looks pretty straight forward

http://www.luft46.com/heinkel/helerche.html

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heinkel_Lerche

Anyone have any  better references or drawings?

• Like 5

Well, maybe a bit quicker than next week

Saturday: fuelled by some crisps I settled down to the computer and fired up Fusion 360

51409544412_5384105881_b.jpg

And started importing the drawings available online and sketching outlines

51411052339_dd6d32eb34_b.jpg

Body is basically a 360degree sweep rotation about the main axis and the annular wings are 9 short sections repeating every 40degrees

51410558523_1c12a6e761_b.jpg

The main control surfaces are pretty straightforward and again repeat every 120degrees 

51409545802_b0ff51ed17_b.jpg

Small pause for carb replenishment as this is going quite well. Peanut M&Ms

51410557058_8bca95f7e2_b.jpg

Reinvigorated by those I split off the glazed nose and added the tail fins/landing bodies repeating every 120degrees

51411273810_7ed2ca1eb6_b.jpg

Propellor blades (my first attempt at these, 3 per section, contrarotating) 

51411273985_a81463d3ba_b.jpg

End of Saturday afternoon we have the general shape. Added airscoops and exhausts

51411051994_dc6af85ddd_b.jpg

• Like 4

Sunday: after a bit of fresh air and a fruitless walk in search of a neolithic monument 

51411271185_8191e3440a_b.jpg

Refuel post walk with egg sandwiches to top the modelling tank up again

51410557483_74641ca6da_b.jpg

Minor revisions to the exhausts gives

51411273870_6b319c9689_b.jpg 51409546067_91aba5b325_b.jpg 51411052134_a5714dd100_b.jpg 51411052104_b3154c2bf0_b.jpg

Looks ok to me

Setting up for print I think this will have to be done in 2 goes ad the won’t all fit on one plate

51411273835_a5c060ee65_b.jpg 51410293566_6ed2f48c87_b.jpg

Looks ok digitally - now I just need to find a: time to print it & b: a victim to foist it on

• Like 5

:o 

This has been a fascinating insight to your process of creating the, em, well I don't know the correct terminology for it but perhaps Master File is my best guess. Hopefully those propellers and other interesting bits print off cleanly for you first time.

Think I'll do my one in captured Soviet markings with a supplementary conventional undercarriage for its initial test flights :) 

• Like 2
3 hours ago, Col. said:

:o 

This has been a fascinating insight to your process of creating the, em, well I don't know the correct terminology for it but perhaps Master File is my best guess. Hopefully those propellers and other interesting bits print off cleanly for you first time.

Think I'll do my one in captured Soviet markings with a supplementary conventional undercarriage for its initial test flights :) 

I’ll write up a more conventional design when I next sit down to do one fresh

Look forward to seeing it. Now you’ve got me wondering about also doing a trolley a la Flying Pogo stick

• Like 2
1 hour ago, Lost Cosmonauts said:

Look forward to seeing it. Now you’ve got me wondering about also doing a trolley a la Flying Pogo stick

Oops. Have I gone and complicated matters? Sorry about that.

Was thinking about the arrangement attached to the Lockheed XFV-1 but sure a neater solution would have been possible due to the cowl. Or perhaps I should do it in-flight and avoid the issue altogether... Can't help thinking it'd have been an absolute swine to bail out of in the event of an emergency though!

22 hours ago, Mad Steve said:

some suck little island

Suck little island,suck little island!!!!!!:blink:

At least we can post things to each other safe in the knowledge that it'll get there,not like your dodgy outfit

where you just get a bit of paper(if you're lucky)saying "contents confiscated by censors" or something similar

which pretty much translates as "pinched by members of the corrupt post office".

Know where I'm coming from boyo?:P:P:P

• 4 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...
30 minutes ago, Walrus said:

Rottendammenbung, a tragic tale of love and constipation. 

From the old German for evil cork woman - the Norn who cures  warriors of their pre-battle squits in eyewatering fashion  

Legend has it that a terrible fate awaits anyone in the rank behind a warrior touched by the Rottendammenbung who is felled in battle as the cork (& much more) can fly out 

• Haha 3
17 hours ago, Lost Cosmonauts said:

From the old German for evil cork woman - the Norn who cures  warriors of their pre-battle squits in eyewatering fashion  

Legend has it that a terrible fate awaits anyone in the rank behind a warrior touched by the Rottendammenbung who is felled in battle as the cork (& much more) can fly out 

Sequel to the Ride of the Valkyries; theme and variations. Known to Elgar fans as the Emetic Variations.

• Haha 2