Invictaag

St Gabriel Master Korabel 1:72 Scale

Whilst building the 75mm Lifeboat by Master Korabel I was really impressed by the quality of the kit and decided I would like to build another of their model kits. When I saw the St. Gabriel I knew this was the right boat for me to make. 

resized_98fbfbf1-7c47-4460-83af-cfedb417

Built in 1725 in Othotsk for use in the Kamchatka Expedition led by Vitus Bering to explore the coast of Siberia and to try to discover if Russia and Alaska were joined. Tsar Peter the Great had spent time in Holland living and working with a Dutch boat builder and St. Gabriel is similar to Dutch boats in design. Bering sailed round the sea that would later be named after him and found that Russia and Alaska were not joined by land. In the 2 Kamchatka expeditions Bering mapped a large part of the east coast of Siberia before falling ill and dying on a small island where he is buried and that is also named after him.

The model kit is well packaged, the instructions consist of a booklet of coloured photos showing each stage, written instructions in Russian, English and German, and two large full sized plans showing all the rigging detail. The instructions are the best I've seen in a kit like this and include lots of hints and tips. All the wood is laser cut, there is a set of Photoetch parts, seperate little kits to make the Deck Pumps and Lee Boards, 4 reels of thread and material for the sails. Made sails are available but I want to try to make my own.

resized_9f1f8520-6276-48dd-a867-c2b9039b

resized_6c0a8a4d-207d-4590-a5ff-d0a15e6c

resized_18179730-2a72-471f-a1a4-bd227ef7

resized_9696fcde-a720-4257-8b3d-0531959c

resized_e8ebdc72-31f5-46b5-b453-4ceb13f0

resized_dc400efa-e02d-452d-9d72-c1166b04

resized_6acfca60-3776-4f1a-8fc0-6a28eb62

resized_8653b6e2-70c9-4d4d-b4d7-5c3879c7

resized_3014b233-53b3-4dde-b530-ee468393

resized_b1d2fa74-3119-497b-892a-f0330cbd

resized_f04ab007-80db-4840-82e9-1cebbc72

Cheers Andy

• Like 2

What a fantastic set of parts.  Going to be getting the hammock and pink gin out to watch this ride the crest of a wave.

I'm intrigued as to what the thingy is in the middle of the hull I can see. 

Edited by Yorki1960
  • Like 1

Oh now we’re cooking!

The laser cut planks have really opened up this type of build to mere mortals. You are definitely managing to engage the possibilities with these Andy. 

You won’t need a magnifying glass to see this one, I suppose you could tow the last one behind this when finished (of course they might be different periods).

I’ll be visiting each update on this one, good luck

Paul

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Yorki1960 said:

What a fantastic set of parts.  Going to be getting the hammock and pink gin out to watch this ride the crest of a wave.

I'm intrigued as to what the thingy is in the middle of the hull I can see. 

As this is a Russian boat you'll need to light the Samovar and pour a водка (Vodka). I'm trying to work out what you mean by the "thingy" in the middle of the Hull.

12 hours ago, Grunhertz said:

Oh god I'm in trouble here these look great 

It will be me in trouble when the wife sees it 😀

3 hours ago, Toolmaker said:

Oh now we’re cooking!

The laser cut planks have really opened up this type of build to mere mortals. You are definitely managing to engage the possibilities with these Andy. 

You won’t need a magnifying glass to see this one, I suppose you could tow the last one behind this when finished (of course they might be different periods).

I’ll be visiting each update on this one, good luck

Paul

The Lifeboat may fit on the Deck of this one, I'll see what it looks like. The laser cut parts help but they do need a little bit of fine adjustment. It takes more than a "mere mortal" to build all that Photoetch that you do. 👍

3 hours ago, Mulder1966 said:

I will be following with interest.

Richard

Good to have you onboard Richard.

I spent about a week reading and re-reading the instructions and then numbered all the parts. When wood is laser cut the cut edge is not at 90 degrees but has a slight angle on it, the instructions tell you which way round to glue various wooden parts so that by using this angle you can get a better fit of the parts. The first step was to glue 2 Keel extensions to the middle false Keel. These parts were removed from their "fret" and the edges smoothed down. They were then glued in place using white wood glue.

resized_35728c28-2b8d-4823-b111-d84437f6

resized_6034ee0e-e42a-495f-9c54-4faafb72

resized_e12505b0-7468-4546-83ad-79418358

The 2 outer false Keel pieces were then fitted making sure that all the slots lined up.

resized_18179730-2a72-471f-a1a4-bd227ef7

resized_42e5f1e4-21e8-4294-9331-bd67c551

This now gives you a very rigid false Keel. 4 more parts, 2 either side, are then fitted to the rear of the false Keel, the 2 outer ones have to have a bevel filed on the rear edge, and there is a laser mark to show where this is done.

resized_f5ab6340-f46b-43b1-9be4-b025d050

resized_02d7e77d-433f-47b8-bf6b-5286e868

I left this for a few days to let the glue set.

Cheers Andy

• Like 3

Off to a good start Andy. I like the inclusion of the marked on bearding/fairing line, very helpful.

These look like well thought out kits, are the materials up to the same high standard ? as you did remark(I think) on the brittle nature of some of the hull planking on the small boat that you made.

This will be an interesting build, looking forward to more.

Cheers

Richard

8 hours ago, Mulder1966 said:

Off to a good start Andy. I like the inclusion of the marked on bearding/fairing line, very helpful.

These look like well thought out kits, are the materials up to the same high standard ? as you did remark(I think) on the brittle nature of some of the hull planking on the small boat that you made.

This will be an interesting build, looking forward to more.

Cheers

Richard

Thanks Richard, a lot of these kits now have marked fairing lines and as you say it does make things a little easier. This is definately a well thought out kit, the designers are ship modellers and there are so many hints and tips in the instructions to help you. There are a few fragile pieces, the tops of the Bulkheads are one and the second layer of planks, but they advise giving them a coat of diluted PVA first. I have seen a couple of so called "experts" say these kits are like building with Lego, but I grew up building Lego and Meccano before moving onto plastic kits, and anything that helps new comers get into building these boats is a good thing. The quality of the parts is excellent, as are the well drawn plans, and detailed instructions, the kit is more expensive than a similar type boat kit from other manufacturers, but it's worth it.

Cheers Andy

• Like 1

'As this is a Russian boat you'll need to light the Samovar and pour a водка (Vodka). I'm trying to work out what you mean by the "thingy" in the middle of the Hull. '

If you go back to your first post, its the left hand part in the pic below you deck plan pic. Looks like a huge ping pong bat half way down the hull....well sort of if you squint a bit......

41 minutes ago, Yorki1960 said:

'As this is a Russian boat you'll need to light the Samovar and pour a водка (Vodka). I'm trying to work out what you mean by the "thingy" in the middle of the Hull. '

If you go back to your first post, its the left hand part in the pic below you deck plan pic. Looks like a huge ping pong bat half way down the hull....well sort of if you squint a bit......

They're Lee Boards, on boats that have shallow flat hulls like this which are designed to sail in shallow waters they can be dropped and act as an extended Keel to stop the boat slipping side ways when under sail. Dutch boats as well as Thames Barges and Norfolk Wherries also have them. This is a typical Dutch style boat with it's rounded Bow and Lee Boards.

Cheers Andy

• Like 1

The next step is to fit the 2 front and 2 rear Bulkheads. Theses needed a little bit of work with a needle file to get them to fit, this is where the slight angle left by the laser causes problems, but they soon slotted into place. The instructions tell you which way round to fit these Bulkheads and once happy with the fit I glued them into place.

resized_fbe43e41-1dca-4634-94b5-04a58917

resized_dd065ff3-bbc0-49bf-bf57-a179573b

resized_2a03fee3-2a7b-4c9a-8c07-d9acbfe0

I left this overnight and then made a start on the Bow and Stern extensions. The 4 Bow left side horizontal extension pieces were removed and again using a needle file they were gradually adjusted until they fitted into place. I used one of the vertical extensions to get everything lined up. When I went to glue the first of the horizontal pieces in I discovered that with the glue it made the fit very tight, this can cause some distortion so I decided to dry fit the extension pieces and then used diluted wood glue on all the joins

resized_dcbcaaf2-15e3-4ed7-b1ab-9041e832

resized_69693fc6-80f1-41df-b107-b6198e50

resized_c5b4aad2-7d8e-4612-bc21-4ab908e8

resized_c71089c1-6667-4ec9-a4ad-1335c32f

resized_d9bab445-c920-4f75-86d6-98f486eb

Cheers Andy

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Grunhertz said:

That's nice if you don't mind me asking how much is a kit like that? 

This kit was about £130, I got it from Master Korobel's European dealer in Germany. You can get it for about £90 on Ebay from Russia but I'm not sure how much Import Tax you'd have to pay and you wouldn't get the English instructions. The Lifeboat I build was again from Russia via Ebay and cost about £15 but no Import Tax which only applies to things above about £20. The Bon Retour that I built last year was £60 but the quality of the wood and instructions were not as good as kit. It may sound expensive but when you consider the time required to build this it works out good value, it's going to take longer than a weekend to build that's for sure.

Cheers Andy

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Mulder1966 said:

Coming on well Andy. It appears that with the way the bulk heads are placed on this model that you will not really require blocking between them?

Cheers

Richard

There will be a few small gaps at the Bow and Stern but the instructions advise you to fit scrap pieces of plywood into the gaps to leave a solid Hull. The second layer of planking is very thin so I want the maximum amount of contact at the Bow and Stern because it has quite a tight bend on it.

Cheers Andy

Hey Andy, that’s coming along nicely.

Would it be feasible to fill those gaps with something that has the bulk, is not too heavy, that can be shaped and smoothed easy and possibly poured. I’m thinking some sort of filler or plaster and/or white glue. You can bulk it up to make more of a paste. Over fill and then smooth back with scraper and sand paper until the wooden bulk heads are seen again. You would have to fit the planking to the bulkheads as per usual but you would also have full support and something to glue onto in between the bulk heads.

Paul

On 29/11/2018 at 10:55, Toolmaker said:

Hey Andy, that’s coming along nicely.

Would it be feasible to fill those gaps with something that has the bulk, is not too heavy, that can be shaped and smoothed easy and possibly poured. I’m thinking some sort of filler or plaster and/or white glue. You can bulk it up to make more of a paste. Over fill and then smooth back with scraper and sand paper until the wooden bulk heads are seen again. You would have to fit the planking to the bulkheads as per usual but you would also have full support and something to glue onto in between the bulk heads.

Paul

Hi Paul, I am going to fill in the gaps but not sure what I'll use yet. M.K. suggest using the wood that the Bulkheads were cut from but it's a little bit hard, I could use Balsa which I have a couple of sheets of, or maybe some spare planking strips. I'm going to stick the Hull planks on with contact adhesive so I don't need to worry about having a "hard" surface to put pins into.

I’m not knowledgeable on the subject, but is this block filling a new idea? I ask as I mentioned previously that I have a mate who has done a lot of wooden ship building but has has not blocked or filled with his work. I think the first planking on his builds were done with fairly thick strips which were then sanded to shape and then the 2nd planking followed that.

Thanks

Paul

9 hours ago, Toolmaker said:

I’m not knowledgeable on the subject, but is this block filling a new idea? I ask as I mentioned previously that I have a mate who has done a lot of wooden ship building but has has not blocked or filled with his work. I think the first planking on his builds were done with fairly thick strips which were then sanded to shape and then the 2nd planking followed that.

Thanks

Paul

Block filling at the Bow has been around for a while, quite a number of kits do provide the material to do this. I have read a lot of build logs where the entire Hull has been filled. It does make planking easier because the plank follows the exact shape of the Hull, whereas with out the blocks the planking can follow it's own path so to speak. It's all down to how the builder wants to do things. This kit is designed for first time builders and trying to get very thin planking to follow the Hull around tight bends would be difficault.

Cheers Andy

• Like 1

As I may of mentioned previously I am in the process of selling my house and I have now found a new house to move to, not far, about 1 mile at the other end of the village, so I have been busy lately getting a mortgage sorted out and answering the hundreds of questions my solicitor keeps asking. I have been adding the vertical Bow extensions pieces, the fitted nicely with just a small amount of adjustment with a needle file. I found the easiest thing to do was to dry fit them and then run diluted wood glue along all the joins.

resized_8db4c192-3cf1-4c6a-bfb4-5c67c4dd

resized_17158e9c-caf0-4a42-848f-09a80c64

resized_4bb6894e-46dc-4ec7-b45c-98fdbe1c

resized_423d5dd6-1a3d-416d-baf1-62817468

Once this was all dry I then made a start on the Stern extension pieces, first of all fitting the horizontal parts and then the vertical pieces.

resized_36e7b05e-2550-4edd-ae6b-819e2fc4

resized_e2ea1512-b343-425f-8177-d9bc71f1

resized_f3335dca-3350-4920-8fc2-f9c7bb6e

resized_98504de7-5b22-436b-90b7-a775c7cc

Cheers Andy

It’s starting Andy, the excitement is building. I like the way these start to come together. Great stuff, looking forward to what’s to come.

I,m finding this one more confusing than normal cos both “ends” are a similar shape at the moment 😂

Good luck with the house move, stay chilled.

Regards Paul

• Like 1

It's been a while since I posted anything on this build and I am bringing it up to date. With all the Bow and Stern extensions fitted it was time to fit the 2 strengthening pieces that fit along the centre part of the Hull. This slipped into place nicely and were then glued using diluted wood glue.

resized_f2aedbea-7e1d-4b65-b921-b6d6dbe7

resized_37cbfdb2-b192-415a-aace-97acd41d

resized_4a4521c6-0ba5-4cc9-91e1-91a9f39f

resized_f111aa7a-f32f-4e2d-99bc-e317e640

The 6 each side "rough" planks are next to be fitted, these are precut to size but are slightly too long. These planks were soaked for about 30 minutes and then starting at the Keel gradually trimmed to length, and then when I was happy with the fit glued and pinned in place. I left the first planks overnight to dry and then fitted 2 planks each evening. These planks needed an angle filed on the "bottom" edge to allow them to sit up close to the already fitted plank.

resized_1779df18-d1db-42c4-93a4-834b5ae2

resized_fa7919f6-a3cb-447b-aee5-8e28bca7

resized_d2673851-cc7f-486f-9f11-ebc124ab

resized_628b99f9-cc84-436f-8d6a-2152bea5

There is a small Cabin Window that needs to be fitted on each side at the Stern, a little bit of fine adjustment was required and it was glued in place.

resized_be60d35d-3660-45d3-a648-e4226ec0

resized_05d3f86f-6041-4852-9641-126f3e36

Cheers Andy

• Like 1

Carrying on from previous post. Before fitting the rest of the "rough" planks I had to dry fit the plywood Bulwarks, this would then enable me to get the correct starting point for the planks.

resized_7cf011e0-2959-4903-9be3-1cd7bdf2

The planks are again precut to shape and slightly over length. The first couple of planks are also double width with a few cut outs along the length to allow them to be bent easily. They were soaked and pinned in place to dry before being glued in place.

resized_512bed79-0272-4145-a04e-2a159ef6

resized_3cdadb64-a195-42d1-9673-ee2d64a0

resized_73b1f343-2cd7-4e4e-99b0-a79d0522

I decided to fit the false Decks next as this would help with the smoothing down of the Hull. The rear Deck was first and went on without too many problems but the main Deck was a nightmare trying to get it to fit over the tops of the Frames. The Frames are wider at the top than they are at Deck level and I managed to break a couple of pieces of the Deck off but it won't be a problem, I can glue them on later and there is another Deck to fit over the top of this.

resized_8ad6b3db-a208-4e58-938c-5d189ee9

resized_4c44df1e-0346-4f2d-a2a2-e464597d

resized_d47f007f-5337-4294-8961-ec9b2250

Well that's it for a while. This has now been packed away ready for the day of reckoning sorry the big move which is getting ever nearer.

Cheers Andy

• Like 2