Mercury, Gemini, Apollo capsule recommendations

Hi All,

Sarah and I are watching the remake of The Right Stuff, and she is becoming as interested as I am in the programmes. I had an idea to build each carft in the same scale for her. I've Googled a bit, but thought I'd take a short cut and ask for recommendations from people with knowledge. Where do I go for kits and addons / corrections?

Gareth

• Like 1

I've got the film bookmarked to watch, and may have to get the book.
What's the TV series like?

Nice idea for a collection, could be tricky getting them all in the same scale though, and getting Mercury and Gemini capsules could be difficult too.

There's a Revell 1/24 Gemini capsule from 1965.  scroll down for aftermarket detailing sets 

Revell 1/48 Mercury and Gemini set

There's a Revell 1/48 Apollo command module too.

Edited by Walrus
  • Like 1

I haven't seen the film for decades, and never read the book, but I've read a lot of space programme history (mostly about Apollo so Mercury is not my area.) The series is very much dramatised, but very nicely done. Perhaps a bit much on the relationships and soap opera side of things, but engaging. Certainly piqued Sarah's interest in early space exploration, so not a bad thing.

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, goon said:

Perhaps a bit much on the relationships and soap opera side of things

Yeah I can imaging that's needed to fill out the series.  

FWIW I've edited my previous reply with a couple of links. 
Apollo should be a bit easier to find a kit of 

1 minute ago, Lost Cosmonauts said:

Smithsonian 3D collection and the NASA 3D collection offer the files if you know someone who'd run them off for you they could be done at any scale you want (nudge, nudge, wink, wink)

There might be a queue forming! lol

Just now, Walrus said:

There might be a queue forming! lol

https://3d.si.edu/collections/apollo11 is really good scans, the NASA files are a bit more hit and miss https://nasa3d.arc.nasa.gov/models some are great but the Saturn was apparently modelled by someone on their first day of work experience from school

• Like 1
Posted (edited)
7 minutes ago, Lost Cosmonauts said:

Smithsonian 3D collection and the NASA 3D collection offer the files if you know someone who'd run them off for you they could be done at any scale you want (nudge, nudge, wink, wink)

What sort of resolution for printing, and do they have interiors? Sarah is a medic and fascinated by crew accommodation and ergonomics in space flight so I'd hope to model them 'open'. 

Edited by goon

You can have a virtual mooch around the interior at https://3d.si.edu/object/3d/command-module-apollo-11:d8c63e8a-4ebc-11ea-b77f-2e728ce88125

I've no idea how printable the innards are but am downloading the file now to take a look at it. 0.05mm is a reasonable resolution to be aiming for so you could cram quite a lot in

• Like 1

After "The Right Stuff", I would strongly recommend watching Tom Hank's TV series "From The Earth To The Moon" and of course the movie "Apollo 13" (starring Tom Hanks - and watch that instead of the Apollo-13 episode of FTETNM).  As another avid reader of all things Space-y (the Springer-Praxis series of books are amazing), these TV-series/movies are almost documentaries.  I built the Dragon 1/48th CSM and LM a few years ago, but unfortunately neither have any interior whatsoever.  I've not bothered with any more real space since as I prefer to try to stick to the same scale for similar subjects, and 1/48th seems to be an unusual scale for real-space: 1/72nd (teeny-weeny-brail-scale-small) and 1/32nd ("big!") seem to be more the-rage.... 

• 3 weeks later...

You and The Gaffer might like this Gareth,no talking,just '60s music of the time.

I used to watch it eons ago on one of the old German satellite channels late at night.

If you're really into 60's Murrycan space flight,there's this,Project Mercury:

Then there's this:Project Gemini,The Bridge to the Moon:

• Like 3
Posted (edited)

Cheers Miggers - the Gemini programme is fascinating. Gemini was an amazing achievement, and often overlooked. Lots of stuff  I've never seen in that film. 👍

After this thread I got hold of a 1/48 Monogram Mercury and Gemini set (don't ask how much, it was Sunday night and eBay!) and I thought to do a straightforward model on a stand but I've just seen the footage of the Gemini recovery from the sea, and I feel a diorama coming on. (I'm obsessed with water effects at the moment, so it might pass if I get over the novelty!)

Edited by goon
Lack of command of my native language
  • Like 1