Tamiya 1/12th Bimota Tesi 1D (Its a Motorbike)(Hibernating)

Afternoon Everyone :) 

You don't see many of these bikes built and that is because of one major reason, the decals are shite!

This isn't really a refurb, its a carry onner, adder onner... you'll see. 

This kit came out in 1993 but it wasn't until 10 years later that I purchased one. Things were going well until 2 things scuppered the build, I lost the centre hub for the front wheel, and the decals had a COMPLETE spaz, so it went back in the box and stayed there until 2 years ago when I got a second one and started again. 

The Top one is the first and now donor kit

20210718_123712.thumb.jpg.93efb7f3a8cf82ade00a2facace74ba8.jpg

Now the brighter ones amongst you will notice something a bit different about this bike, It has Lateral Forks, a rear and front swing arm :) The front wheel has a special centre hub that allows the wheel to turn, through a series of rods (that's the Hub I lost on the first kit :)

20210718_124011.thumb.jpg.8d72db6d1af74e36814cd1d5a6d2f148.jpg

20210718_124031.thumb.jpg.5d2ad226f79a80ef199182b434cee086.jpg

Bimota's thinking on this style of forks was simple (Boring science bit) The problem with conventional telescopic forks is that they flex under braking and cornering, and because the compress under braking, the steering geometry is altered. Ideally, it would be great to have the steering and suspension separate, but it is not easy to achieve on a bike, but that's where Bimota stepped in and said Wallah! The two side parts of the front swing arm are actually the suspension, and the steering is done by a Hub center steering method. Because the idea was so radical, the frame also had to be re developed, and in this case, the 'frame' is two upside down boomerang shaped Aluminum alloy plates, that are actually bolted onto a Ducati 916 engine, with the rear swingarm bolted in the usual manner, and the front bolted onto the frame, connected to a second shock absorber. 

It was argued that it was actually the best production bike in the world. It didn't dive when it cornered, you could brake later and it cornered better than anything else on the road, (and it was expensive.... )

Anyhoo, back to the kit.

This is what the Bike should look like when its finished.

140940654_Bimota.png.23b187df0752e867658dcc38ffea94f3.png

Notice the lovely curves around the seat and tank.. well Tamiya's solution to that was this...

20210718_123801.thumb.jpg.9a389bff3b97f6605cad8e331b328115.jpg

I'm sorry, but the guys that built the display models must be decaling gods because mine came out all wrinkly. The double curves are just a killer

So

I'm not going to do it in the launch colours, I'm going to do it Bright Italian Red and just use the Bimota labels 

There was a problem with these decals as well. They apparently didn't last long before cracking up. Thankfully, the second sheet I have look ok.

Another problem with the kit was the seat. Tamiya supplied a sort of sticky back rubber like material that you cut to shape and stick down. The problem is, the same with the decals, doesn't last long...

20210718_124107.thumb.jpg.22c4eae7262e6dfed73736aab4f4fe63.jpg

But I did try out just spraying it with Semi Gloss Black and it seemed to come out ok...

20210718_124245.thumb.jpg.184676253c08a3c6067ebaffad572a85.jpg

So here is where we are as of today. I'm really looking forward to getting this going again :) 

20210718_124041.thumb.jpg.96db9c75e694b66b8de4bcd34d54be6c.jpg

20210718_124001.thumb.jpg.56a36eca12b97aae96480223412e07c6.jpg  

• Like 4

Similar to when someone tried to make a two wheel-drive motocross bike some years ago,way over-engineered,

way over complicated and so way too expensive.

It was only a development experimental job,but all the chains and sprockets to drive the front wheel were pretty much

unguarded..........not brilliant when you usually"cover" the front wheel with your boot into a corner........

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Mad Steve said:

It has Lateral Forks, a rear and front swing arm :) The front wheel has a special centre hub that allows the wheel to turn, through a series of rods (that's the Hub I lost on the first kit :)

That looks seriously weird. Was that method continued with or was it a technological dead end?

2 minutes ago, Gorby said:

That looks seriously weird. Was that method continued with or was it a technological dead end?

It had potential as it made the steering and suspension seperate where they're all part of the same mechanism on a bike with conventional forks[1], but it was heavy and expensive so didn't really suit the compromises enforced by mass production. 

Bimotas were hand built using bought in engines, so cost wasn't a consideration.

Andy

[1] Cut long and boring essay on fork dive, weight transfer and their effect on braking and suspension going into corners - short version is hub steering eliminates all that :) 

• Like 1
10 minutes ago, Gorby said:

Nope, Bimota made a couple more models with Hub Steering, but the development is just too expensive to make it commercially viable at the time as it was double the price of similar engined bikes...

however

Google Bimota H2... (you may need alone time and tissues :)

• Haha 2
2 minutes ago, Mad Steve said:

Google Bimota H2... (you may need alone time and tissues :)

I'd use the tissues for crying. Just done the Googlification thing and I think it just looks like a messy design to me. I like nice clean lines and that looks like it's been in a blender. 

• Haha 1

A lot of Bimotas left something to be desired aesthetically but it was all about the engineering. Massimo Tamburini (the Ta in BiMoTa) must have learnt something though as he also designed the Ducati 916 and the MV Agusta[1] F4 which are bloody gorgeous :)

Andy

[1] Count Agusta used to build world championship winning racing bikes and drop dead gorgeous road bikes to fund them (like a 2 wheeled Enzo Ferarri) until he got bored and started making helicopters instead.

• Like 3
10 minutes ago, Tolvcat said:

started making helicopters instead.

Sensible chap obviously!

The engineering behind the idea is very good.

I'm sure you'll win with this one Steve.

• Thanks 1

Good to see one (or two?) of these getting some of your attention Steve :thumbsup:

While the initial styling of the 1D was a bit hate it or rate it the single red scheme helped improve its looks in my opinion. The restyled version, can't remember if that was the ES or SE now, was a far better bike aesthetically and I've always wanted to have a go at moulding a set of fairings to model it. The restyle also did away with the original fairing's tendency to develop lift at high speeds in certain circumstances and mess up the handling :blink:

4 minutes ago, Mad Steve said:

I don't know Col, I prefer the original version to the ES (below), although it did have a few improvements (like not taking off :))

And I especially like it in red :) 

The red one is rather pretty. Enough shape about it to remain interesting and suit a single colour.

• Like 1
  • Mad Steve changed the title to Tamiya 1/12th Bimota Tesi 1D (Its a Motorbike)(Hibernating)

Afternoon Everyone :) 

Had I known it was whinge week, I'd have worn clean knickers :yes:

I had sprayed the main body piece Italian Red, and gave it a coat of Clear. I then masked up the seat area and sprayed that flat black and left it all for a couple of days.

This morning I started removing the masking tape and half of the red paint came away with it...

Bowlarks...

I'm not even going to say anything. 

I've just packed it away, its hibernating, End of....

I will find a suitable replacement to entertain you all :) :scooter:

• Sad 2
28 minutes ago, Mad Steve said:

This morning I started removing the masking tape and half of the red paint came away with it...

Twit.

Didn't prep it properly then did you Steven,have I learned you nuffink.

Seriously mate,that's a shishkebab,strip it right back time:(

Edited by Miggers

That's the thing Miggs me old fruit, I did prepare it properly, sanded, cleaned and primed.

It may be the cold weather, who knows.

When I'm feeling sorry for something, I'll strip it back and start again :) 

• Like 1

Go to your local car body shop(if there is such a thing in your neck) and get some panel wipe and Tak Rags.

Panel wipe is pretty inert but removes any grease/oils that you may have inadvertently got on the substrate.

Wear surgical gloves as much as poss,

Tak Rags remove any fluff/hairs/particles just before you paint.