1/12 scale Fire Service hook ladder wagon, wood and metal kit by Model Trailways

Thanks Guys, for such encouraging comments, it makes it a pleasure to share a project cheers.

The main frame drilled bolted and glued,

xxzYTsD.jpg

checking for square and taping it down using masking tape till it's joints dry square. 

ctopNnG.jpg 

then sprayed in Halfords grey primer.7IeNjup.jpg

then a coat of red from a spray can.

lzGh5oQ.jpg

• Like 5

the rear ladder roller brackets are fitted, the main chassis rail is drilled through to let the bolts pass down, glued in place and held firmly with pegs.

fitting_rear_ladder_roller_brackets_pgqx

the front Y brace, goes onto the king pin running through the steering.

added_front_brace_xrmypk.jpg

• Like 6

I looked at their kits today, looking to purchase the Concord stagecoach, no stock here in the UK, so i  ordered up the AL coach kit

Edited by Kevin
  • Like 1
23 hours ago, Kevin said:

I looked at their kits today, looking to purchase the Concord stagecoach, no stock here in the UK, so i  ordered up the AL coach kit

excellent, such an icon of the Wild West, was planning to do that one in a couple of years time, I have the Trailways Chuck Wagon to do after this hook Ladder wagon, and I want to scratch build a wooden model of the WW1 Army supply wagon on display in the Foyer of IWM Duxford land warfare hall. So I'll look forward to your Concord Build.

is AL the kit maker?

• Like 2
9 hours ago, Gorby said:

Nice work Sprocket.

Are you going to do this one next?

It's only £720. 

Great value for money as it would probably take you two whole weeks to complete. :yes:

https://www.cornwallmodelboats.co.uk/acatalog/model-trailways-allerton-steam-fire-pump-MS6006.html#SID=2347

I had a Timpo toy wagon like that when I was a kid, that would look nice on display on my drinks cabinet, maybe rigged to hose out a cocktail.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
9 hours ago, Gorby said:

A mobile distillery! What a cunning plan to avoid the customs and excisemen! 

• Haha 3
9 hours ago, Gorby said:

Nice work Sprocket.

allerton-steam-pumper-fire-engine-wood-a

It's only £720. 

Great value for money as it would probably take you two whole weeks to complete. :yes:

https://www.cornwallmodelboats.co.uk/acatalog/model-trailways-allerton-steam-fire-pump-MS6006.html#SID=2347

its over 1/2 the price in the USA, screwed over import duties

• Like 3
On 15/07/2021 at 14:35, Sprocket said:

this lateral strength was built in to counter the natural side to side sway of the Horses transmitted through the shafts to the structure of the wagon.

That's something I never knew.

Really interesting build Sprocket.

• Thanks 1
43 minutes ago, Sprocket said:

I want to scratch build a wooden model of the WW1 Army supply wagon on display in the Foyer of IWM Duxford land warfare hall.

Ive always wanted to build a large scale cannon and limber that the Royal Horse Artillery Display team use. I havent even looked into what it is or anything, i just recall seeing them as a kid at the Royal show and a Tattoo somewhere. Does anyone else recall there were like 2 gun teams and like a mini assault course. They would fire a round, then break the gun and limber down and take it over the course, rebuild it and fire another round? 

• Like 3

having built the forth wheel I double checked the correctness of the third wheel with a spin, to find a slight wobble, so took it apart and lightly sanded the spokes where they fit into the hub recess. This will allow the spokes to ease in and not force the wheel out of alignment.

XtSXtQZ.jpg

the corrections made, let third wheel dry in the jig while I get on with the frame.

fqDYRzZ.jpg

• Like 3

the forecarriage unit, glued into place onto the front axle supports.

wyuDFnb.jpg

checking the main frame for square, the rear axle lateral supports need re adjusting to cross over each other evenly, this won't effect strength, just appearance.

Q3nC4Cf.jpg

• Like 4

the completed wheels need the inside edge of the rims filed, then the wheel painted, varnished, then a tire fitted, the tires are made out of the same gasket material as the nuts and spacers, painted black they'll look the part.

O3GdmkT.jpg

• Like 2

wheelwrights heat up a real steel tire in a furnace before fitting the expanded tire over the wooden wheel rim, then cooling and shrinking it to the wheel to make an incredibly strong structure, but in George Sturt's classic contemporary book "the Wheelwright's shop" he mentions old wheels where the timber has shrunk back and hard use has heated the tire through friction, expanding it to where it rattles against the rim, Carters would cool the tire and expand the old wood by taking the rig through a village stream. In this painting by John Constable, the Haywain, or Haywagon, being a cross between a Timber Bob, with features of a Hermaphrodite haywain (cart/wagon) possibly carrying timber to the sawyers pit, passing through a village stream. Which is why It may not have been there at all at the time he painted it. the tailgate is almost see through.

J6lqyf3.jpg

• Like 3
1 hour ago, Sprocket said:

the forecarriage unit, glued into place onto the front axle supports.

wyuDFnb.jpg

checking the main frame for square, the rear axle lateral supports need re adjusting to cross over each other evenly, this won't effect strength, just appearance.

Q3nC4Cf.jpg

that looks real nice

• Thanks 1

the axles are easily bent, to angle the wheel parallel to the side of the chassis rail.

96Lr94A.jpg

the first wheel painted in Revell acrylic aquacolour Ocker, covers the black charred area caused by the lazer cut, and it harmonizes the hub, spokes and rim to make the wheel look like a single unit.

2DGezNs.jpg

to make wheel lighter, they were sometimes decorated with scallops in the inside edge of the rim, one scallop either side of the rim bolt head, that will be added next.

ALyv8Bg.jpg

I made this simple tool to keep the shape width and curve of the scallops even as possible.

asmNf2I.jpg

• Like 5