It's only 1/72… it won't take long. IBG Diamond T 969 Wrecker

I bought a few 1/72 vehicle kits because I wanted something that wouldn't take long. I completed this model a couple of weeks ago and it has been one of the most challenging kits I've ever built. Not because it's a bad kit, it was mainly because of its complexity. 117 parts in a model 95mm long! It ended up taking me about seven weeks in all, although admittedly maybe half an hour to an hour each day. Okay, as usual I didn't help myself by making it more complicated than it really needed to be. I don't feel so much that I've reduced the scale I model in, rather that I increased the level of self-inflicted masochism.

I won't go over the problems with the wheels here as I covered that issue ad nauseam in the kit review.

I emailed IBG Models on the 19th April to explain the problem, and they didn't even bother to reply. Even a “sorry there isn't anything we can do about it” would have been better than nothing. It took me about four hours to get the wheels usable – not happy. Not a good way to start a kit.

This is the end result of four hours work:

IMG_3884.JPG

Although still not perfect, you get to a point where you think “yer that'll do, whatever”.

Another problem with the wheels is that these holes aren't deep enough:

IMG_3883.JPG

They only need to be about another 1mm deeper otherwise they don't fit well. In fact while we are on the wheels, the centre hole in all of them is too big. Not by much on the four back wheels but by quite a significant margin with the front wheels. I ended up using it to my advantage. I intended to have them turned very slightly and the hole is so big it allows you to posed them at an angle. In fact it's the easiest way to fit them. If you want them straight you may have problems.

Aaaannyway….

No point having a nice engine and not showing it off. The biggest issue with the engine parts is the excessively chunky-chappie fan.

IMG_3887.JPG

Part of it is visible when the bonnet is open so I thinned it down and accentuated the angle on the blades.

IMG_3895.JPG

It seems a bit odd to me that there is a lovely detailed engine (by 1/72 standards anyway), but the bonnet/Engine cover/hood is supplied in one piece.

IMG_3896.JPG

Although it was easy to cut with a razor saw not everyone has a razor saw. It would have been nice to have it is separate sections.

IMG_3899.JPG

One area where I over complicated the build is by piercing the radiator grill when a heavy wash would probably have worked well enough. It was easy to do, although not very quick – razor saw first then cut some sandpaper to size, fold it over and work backwards and forwards a few times for each slot.

IMG_3942.JPG

It certainly looks nice on the completed model. Well worth the effort in my opinion.

IMG_3944.JPG

Thanks for having a look and sorry about the lack of jokes. I'm only doing this as I thought it would be good to have a build review as well as the in box review, so I'm doing it as quick as I can.

• Like 8

Shame about those wheels and their lack of response to your query - not great customer service :( That's an impressive dedication to detail, especially for a quick build - I'm strictly Renoir when it comes to 1/72 or smaller kits :)

Andy

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

For quite a few parts the sprue gate is so thick (in comparison to the part) that it's difficult to see where to cut. It seems obvious when seen under serious magnification, using just a couple of dodgy, vintage human eyeballs it isn't easy at all.

IMG_3945.JPG

IMG_4136.JPG

Now have a look at them with less magnification at more like the size they are in reality (depending on the screen you're using of course).

IMG_3945.JPG

IMG_4136.JPG

It also isn't easy keeping all he parts of the chassis nice and square. I failed miserably. It wasn't until I'd added the front bumper to the chassis that I realised the chassis frame was very badly twisted.

IMG_3947.JPG

(Sorry about the quality of the photo, my bloody camera seems to focus wherever the hell it wants to. I wouldn't buy another Canon again.)

This is almost certainly not a fault of the kit, it's more likely that I didn't align the sides correctly when gluing the first few bits between them. By the point I added the bumper it was too late to rectify the problem, so I ploughed on in the hope adding more bits would at least lessen the twist. It didn't.

IMG_4143.JPG

So, how to sort the problem? I rejected the 'twist in the opposite direction and use hot air' method as this is a small model and it'd be very difficult to direct the hot air at the tiny area which needed it. Hot water on the other hand could just be poured where is was needed and with the aid of my tea pot and some metal weights, that's what I did and it seemed to work well.

IMG_4155.JPG

Although It may have created another problem. I found that the exhaust wouldn't fit were it was supposed to:

IMG_4152.JPG

IMG_4154.JPG

Before you ask, no it wouldn't fit between the mud flap and the stabilising leg.

I had difficulty fitting a couple of other parts in the are of the hot water treatment, it was as if the length of the chassis had shrunk a little. I left off the exhaust to the end of the build and just glued it on near as damnit to the correct position.

I didn't use what is, in my opinion the worse part of the kit. The parts on the right are supposed to be wire grills which fit in front of the headlights. I did consider scratching something more realistic but found that I really couldn't be arsed. As I'm dong a civilian jobbie I just left them off. I hollowed out the headlights and filled them with GS-Hypo to simulate glass.

IMG_4146.JPG

One relatively minor problem with the kit is that isn't any clear location for some of the parts. Fitting the running boards there is nothing to show where they should be attached to the underside of the cab. I had to assume the side of the boards would be parallel to each other.

IMG_4150.JPG

It wasn't until I was masking the windows that I realised that there isn't a film template for the rear window of the cab. Fortunately it's a simple rounded off rectangle 7.5mm x 3.5mm and there is plenty of film provided. That's assuming that you haven't already thrown the unused film away like I had :wallbash:. Cutting masks for the windows was reasonably easy. Just use a sharp pencil to trace around the inside of the side and rear window. That's not feasible with the windscreen so after I cut out the window film I traced around that and then cut about 0.5mm inside that line.

For such a small kit there are soooooooo many parts.

IMG_4157.JPG

Thanks for having a look, the next time you'll see it'll be in the gallery.

The final photos:

Edited by Gorby
  • Like 4