A Space for Talking About All Things Space Related.

Taken the liberty of staring a forum for astronomical related topics, as we don't seem to have one, as hopefully some will be interested to see what happens to a satellite as it falls back to earth.

"Simulating the burn-up during atmospheric reentry of one of the bulkiest items aboard a typical satellite using a plasma wind tunnel." 

https://www.esa.int/ESA_Multimedia/Images/2021/06/Drive_to_destruction#.YMu2d51OYaY.link

It's important because debris in orbit is not good and the ISS was hit recently.
The European Space Agency is apparently the only organisation currently taking the problem seriously
More here:

Edited by Walrus
  • Like 3

What a good idea. I've been watching Prof Brian Cox's latest series 'Adventures in Space and Time'. Basically it's looking back at his previous documentaries and mulling over what's relevant and if possible updating some of the discussions from them. Well worth a watch and on iPlayer for a year or so.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/m000wtdj/brian-coxs-adventures-in-space-and-time-series-1-1-space-how-far-can-we-go

• Like 1
On 17/06/2021 at 22:47, Paul Brown said:

I've been watching Prof Brian Cox's latest series 'Adventures in Space and Time'.

Sounds good.  Sadly for me I don't have a TV and hence no licence so I'm honour bound not to watch iPlayer. 
Thankfully there are numerous YouTube channels to keep me both in awe and totally baffled by the science.

Really wish I could understand the physics at a much, much deeper level.

Also hoping I can stay alive with enough mental cognition as possible for as long as possible.
Missions to Venus and Titan within the next decade will be amazing.  
The latter has a proposed "Dragonfly" drone and a submersible to dive into the methane seas under the ice.

170215-nasa-submarine-titan-mn-1035-1903

dragonfly-on-surface.jpg

Will try and do a summary of up coming missions 

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, Walrus said:

Really wish I could understand the physics at a much, much deeper level

Richard Feynman's lecture series notes (available as a three volume set here https://www.feynmanlectures.caltech.edu or also as books) are a bit long in the tooth but as perfect an intro to understanding physics as you'll ever find 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I recommend Hawking's Brief History of Time to get a better grasp of physics, although it will now be a little dated. I've found all of Jim Al-Khalili's programmes to be very helpful, but unless you can find them other than on iPlayer you're stuck. Discovery Channel?

• Like 1
5 hours ago, Paul Brown said:

I recommend Hawking's Brief History of Time to get a better grasp of physics, although it will now be a little dated. I've found all of Jim Al-Khalili's programmes to be very helpful, but unless you can find them other than on iPlayer you're stuck. Discovery Channel?

Carl Sagan’s Cosmos is good (& cheap on dvd)

• Like 2
  • 2 weeks later...
7 minutes ago, Lost Cosmonauts said:

Virgin Galactic launch today - are we counting it as proper space or just a sub orbital hop?

It's space tourism which I'm not a fan of, so no, it's not proper space! xD 

But thanks for the heads up
Can be seen here 

On 10/07/2021 at 01:25, Paul Brown said:

Definitely worth a watch, Youtube will find the other episodes for you.

Thanks Paul.  Have it ready to watch later.

• Like 2
2 minutes ago, Paul Brown said:

Branson, Bezos and Musk are currently engaged in a 'mine's bigger than yours' exercise. I'd be happy to watch them propelled at sufficient velocity to escape earth's gravity on a one way journey into deep space.

And happy to make a big donation.

MAKE IT HAPPEN!

• Like 3
6 minutes ago, Paul Brown said:

Branson, Bezos and Musk are currently engaged in a 'mine's bigger than yours' exercise. I'd be happy to watch them propelled at sufficient velocity to escape earth's gravity on a one way journey into deep space.

There's a neat correlation between such a wish and the rock band that flew into the Sun for tax avoidance purposes in The Hitchhikers' Guide to the Galaxy series. 

If only rockets could be fuelled by their egos, we'd have had manned missions to Mars by now.
What saddens me is the opportunity cost of individualistic programmes and how much humanity and science may have been better served with such funding in public space programmes.

• Like 4
On 7/11/2021 at 5:14 PM, Walrus said:

If only rockets could be fuelled by their egos, we'd have had manned missions to Mars by now.
What saddens me is the opportunity cost of individualistic programmes and how much humanity and science may have been better served with such funding in public space programmes.

Well said Sir. 

• Thanks 1

A big comet is on it's way with the closest passage to the Sun expected in 2031 

The video mentions the Oort Cloud as though it is factually proven, but my understanding is that it is currently theoretical with no confirmation of its existence.
The Oort Cloud (so named because it Oort to be there :P ) is a vast field of icy planetesimals  and thought to be where comets originate.
Apparently, asteroid belts are not the densely packed collection of space rocks depicted in sci-fi movies and TV shows. 

• Like 3
On 11/07/2021 at 16:14, Walrus said:

If only rockets could be fuelled by their egos, we'd have had manned missions to Mars by now

Not a documentary as such and you need to skip a lot of sales prattle about watch straps but you might enjoy the vintage sci fi episode Test Flight from Tales of Tomorrow

Super rich turns his company resources toward space flight in order to boost his outsize ego. The science is hooey but boy did they get the sociology spot on

• Like 2
4 hours ago, Lost Cosmonauts said:

Super rich turns his company resources toward space flight in order to boost his outsize ego. The science is hooey but boy did they get the sociology spot on

IKR spookily predicted the world of tomorrow!
Didn't mind the ads tbh interesting nugget of social history!

Thanks for the video LC! 
The acting was very good imho given the material they had to work with.