Sign in to follow this  
BlackMike Models

They call me mellow yellow (actually they don't!)

My desk has a clear space on it (shame the shelf and boxes just off to the left don't!) so it's time to get the next project rolling. Yellow (wings) fever is still coursing through my veins so it's no surprise that my next build will be another colourful Pre War US Navy theme. The subject next in line to be butchered is the diminutive Tamiya Brewster Buffalo in 1/48. I only have the B339 Pacific War version but no matter as all I need to make an F2A-2 is in the box anyway and aftermarket decals were always on the cards.

Some introductory photos of the items to be sacrificed and my scant references (I've been surfing the inter web for photos. Jings there's lots of them but I must start looking at F2As soon !).

IMG_4623-L.jpg

IMG_4619-L.jpg

IMG_4622-M.jpg

IMG_4625-M.jpg

I am hoping this will be a quick build but I say that every time. I'm going to keep it as simple as possible and not add too much to the modest parts count on this occasion so maybe I can get this finished in double quick time?

Duncan B

• Like 2

I am adding some photoetch to the cockpit. As everyone that knows me will testify, I just love detailing cockpits!

I will have to add some of the more structural parts of PE to be painted along with the side walls before adding the coloured parts and the detailed painting. So off we go. 

IMG_4626-338x450.jpg

Some Xtreme Metal ‘White Aluminium’ squirted roughly on without primer (it’ll be good enough once the canopy is on). The coverage of this paint always amazes me.

IMG_4632-600x518.jpg IMG_4635-600x517.jpg

I might stick a few of the coloured parts on tonight if there’s nothing on the box worth watching. 

Duncan B

• Like 2

There's nothing mellow about this yellow!  How do you find painting colours over the metallic? I always get nasty bleed-through which makes it much more convenient to keep anything which needs to be coloured off until after the metallic finish is on and dry.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Jessie_C said:

There's nothing mellow about this yellow!  How do you find painting colours over the metallic? I always get nasty bleed-through which makes it much more convenient to keep anything which needs to be coloured off until after the metallic finish is on and dry.

The AK Xtreme Metals are very tough and very forgiving so I tend to treat them just like any other colour of paint. I don't normally do anything special with them but if I am concerned about damaging them with a lot of handling or masking I will put a coat of clear acrylic over the top of them to seal in before moving on.

In this case I'll be adding colour PE and just detail painting/panel highlighting in the cockpit anyway so no extra precautions will be required this time (famous last words).

Duncan B

A fun morning was had at the modelling desk. Outside the sun was shining, birds singing while inside all that could be heard was the ping of photo etch swiftly followed by the demented screams of a certain modeller!

IMG_4636-600x539.jpg IMG_4637-600x596.jpg IMG_4639-600x505.jpg IMG_4638-600x548.jpg

I’m sure those green bits are the wrong colour for an early Buffalo but they add a splash of colour so I don’t care. 

For an old kit the detail is very nice. I hope the parts fit is as good because that’s what’s next. 

Duncan B

• Like 2

The fuselage is together and the correct tailcone attached. The seams will need a bit of attention and I suspect the wings and cowling will also need a bit of fettling once I get to that stage (I've done a quick dry fit and they will).

IMG_4641-L.jpg

IMG_4643-L.jpg

IMG_4642-L.jpg

I want to add a bit of detail to the rear deck but have been unable to find any decent photos of it (the liferaft container usually blocks the view) so if anyone knows where to find good references I'd be very appreciative.

IMG_4640-L.jpg

Tomorrow's jobs are to paint the engine, fit the wings then start on the seams.

Duncan B

• Like 2

The fuselage seams were sorted out without too much hassle, note the ‘were’. When I went to test fit the wing there was a horrible crack!

The wing to fuselage fit is mediocre at best so I have been ‘stitching’ it together small sections at a time. The rear joint is going to need some work though.

IMG_4651-600x450.jpg

The wing root gaps seen here have been mostly closed up by gentle persuasion and fast drying extra thin cement. 

IMG_4652-600x450.jpg IMG_4654-338x450.jpg

It’s back to sorting out the seams now. The fuselage will be painted Aluminium so they have to be spotless or else they’ll stand out once the paint is on. 

Duncan B

• Like 2

58 minutes ago, Grunhertz said:

Good stuff Duncan it looks like old school tamiya to me 

I'm quite enjoying it so far. Very similar quality to the Hobby Boss Wildcats I recently made in regards to fit and levels of detail. I did have to hack the bottom of the rear bulkhead off though as it was stopping the wing from seating correctly (probably more likely to have been my fault rather than the kit's).

Duncan B

2 hours ago, Grunhertz said:

I bet it still builds easier than the old classic airframes kit 

Sometimes 'newer' isn't better.

• Like 2

Before I headed off to Glasgow for the show on Saturday I fitted the cowling. I had previously established that it's shape didn't correspond to the part it was to fit to so gave it a good seeing to with a sanding stick but I knew it would still need blending in with some liquid putty.

IMG_4658-L.jpg

While I was at it I also slapped some on the rear joint too.

IMG_4660-L.jpg

I have just spent this morning sanding all that lot back and have given the joints a coat of Mr Surfacer to fill the roughness in. I am still debating whether I will rescribe some of the panels or just leave them, my references don't show some of the lines I've destroyed anyway.

Duncan B

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Grunhertz said:

That's a fair bit of filler for a tamiya kit nice one 

There was quite a prominent step at the rear of the wing. Most of the filler has been sanded away now and a couple of brush coats of Mr Surfacer have been run over the joints to check them before priming.

I still want to add some detail to the rear cockpit 'shelf' but can't find any pictures that show anything other than the liferaft stowage. I'd like to add some structural elements underneath that but if `i don't find anything today I'll just move on.

Duncan B

Most of the flatting off is done now so it’s time for me to decide if I scribe the lost raised detail or have a go at reinstating it. Decisions decisions!

IMG_4665-600x450.jpg IMG_4666-600x450.jpg IMG_4664-600x450.jpg

Oh and I’ve to decide if I add some detail here or not. 

IMG_4667-600x450.jpg

Duncan B

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BlackMike Models said:

Oh well my plan to add the tailplane after painting has fallen by the wayside!

That’ll be more filling then!

Ouch. Not your typical Tamiya fit.

23 minutes ago, Col. said:

Ouch. Not your typical Tamiya fit.

Well let's not forget that this kit was first released in 1974. I challenge you to find a similar kit from 1974 with fewer fit issues.  I mean Tamiya had to learn from somewhere, didn't they? You can't expect a mid-20th Century model to be a 21st Century shake-the-box model :P

• Like 1