"Book a floater ASAP Dad" said my boy," and let me know when,we're going for a day out"

So,doing as I was told,a floater(floating day's holiday)was duly booked for yesterday,01/10.

I let him know,"Ok"said he,"Bring your camera,scanner,warm clothing and eats".

He picked me up at 6am yesterday and off we set,destination: The Mach Loop,Cad. West to be exact.

After one and half hour's "press on" driving in the boy's company Bimmer through Wrexham,Llangollen then stopping here in Corwen:

https://rhug.co.uk/shop

for a wee-wee,coffee and a bacon and egg sarnie,we blast off again on track for the Loop.

Aiming through Bala(lovely lake)and heading for Dolgellau,Cadair Idris begins to loom large in the windscreen.

Eventually we get to here:

http://www.crossfoxes.co.uk/

and the boy hooks a right turn onto the A487,another 20 minutes "rapid"(dunno where he gets it from🤔)progress,we pull into the little car park

at the foot of Cadair Idris.

To our left is Cad.East,to the right is Cad.West,so after togging up and getting our gear into our shooting buckets(swivel seats fitted on top),

(for those who don't or have never shot,a pretty handy bit of kit):https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/202054410973

we commence a 20 minute climb to reach a spot to sit and stop at about halfway up(Dad is fagged out):

Mach_Loop_003.jpg

Scanner on,select Valley and the Low Level frequency banks and wait(they're as quiet as a Church mouse on a Sunday).

After two hours waiting,I heard "Ascot 1250,C-130,into The Loop North",we were rewarded with this boy(if only I'd switched the camera to "burst" instead of "single shot"🤔😞

Mach_Loop_001.jpg

Mach_Loop_002.jpg

Once over the near end of the lake(Tal-y-Llyn I believe),it stood up on it's left wing tip and pulled a 90* left into the gap(Corris Corner) that you can just make out.

Another two hour wait and Valley started to transmit,the Hawks were awake(at last)

Another hour and the scanner burst into life with "Triplex 3,single Typhoon into The Loop East(he's come in from the Shawbury side),this was his second

lap around and pass(camera on "burst"this time):

Mach_Loop_005.jpg

Mach_Loop_006.jpg

Mach_Loop_007.jpg

(Our lad's 'ead got on too).

The noise and vibration in my chest was awsome,once again over the lake he pulled hard left into the gap and hit the power,plenty of echo from the valley walls.

More waiting brought us "Ninja 1,single Hawk into The Loop North from Bala".

At last,one of the "locals",a 4 Sqn Hawk T.2 from Valley,this boy was really trotting along:

Mach_Loop_009.jpg

Mach_Loop_010.jpg

Mach_Loop_011.jpg

Not great results from a long day of waiting,but on the whole a very enjoyable Dad n Lad(he's 35) day out with "Our Rob"and thouroughly recommended

to any of our "mob" who're up in Wales.

More info(and some superb pics)from Cad West on this site:

https://machloop.co.uk/

Usual caveats apply,if you want mine as screen savers or WHY,do copy away.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Romper's Green said:

Pah! In my day Albert would have been a lot lower!

Nice photo's Miggers.

Cheers Debs.

Yep,I did think "If that was Debs poling,the sheepies would've had a neat "zzzzzzzzt"haircut right down their backs!!"

Those "J" Alberts are so quiet though,no prop thrum or smoke trails.

Ok for sneaking up on "unfriendlies",but no good for us sorts perched halfway up a mountain with a camera to "mount,aim and fire"😄

Great shots, and sounds like a fab day. 
I gotta do the Loop soon, but first am sitting at Marham (possibly the Heath) for 2 days in a couple of weeks, just hoping for good weather to see the Tonkas before they're gone for good

• Like 1

On 10/10/2018 at 22:06, Muttley said:

Great shots, and sounds like a fab day. 
I gotta do the Loop soon, but first am sitting at Marham (possibly the Heath) for 2 days in a couple of weeks, just hoping for good weather to see the Tonkas before they're gone for good

Cheers mate. Yeah, the Tonka's haven't got long left. Laddo was back in the Loop last week and had two run through the Cad.