Grunhertz

Telford. Who's going?

On ‎02‎/‎10‎/‎2018 at 05:15, Grunhertz said:

I'll be with Rivenhall 

Oohh, I only work in Chelmsford, I'll have to come to a meeting

Haven't made a definite call on if I'm going as it's 2 weekends in Telford on the bump. What day(s) are people going?

Edited by Muttley

5 hours ago, Muttley said:

Oohh, I only work in Chelmsford, I'll have to come to a meeting

Haven't made a definite call on if I'm going as it's 2 weekends in Telford on the bump. What day(s) are people going?

I live/work (occasionally) in Great Baddow, where are you based?

I'm at Telford for the weekend.

15 minutes ago, sovereignhobbies said:

Me. Dreading it already 🤐

Sorry to hear that Jamie, we don't think of those who work it 

3 minutes ago, Grunhertz said:

Sorry to hear that Jamie, we don't think of those who work it 

Ach it's ok Darren - it's just one of those things that needs to be done. It's a long weekend of standing with a smile painted on and aching feet and face at best. It's the little things that can irritate beyond reason though, like club wrist banders in early trying to get in about your stuff whilst still setting up and wanting to buy something when the computer is off and the card machine and money box are buried under a mountain of stuff. It sounds ungrateful, I'm sure, but it's hard not to be grimacing thinking "we're trapped here all weekend - can't you just come back after the show opens and we're set up?"

We were accosted by some absolute rocket at teardown last year too, wanting to know if we'd changed formulae because he bought one tin from White Ensign Models 7 years ago and it wouldn't dry but it couldn't be anything he did wrong because his paint stirrer was "awesome". I literally just walked away (with paint rack on a trolley). Another trader reported him to the hall manager and we got a mail from the latter when we got home asking if it needed following up - it didn't - but for sure trading reveals a side to modelling that you'd rather not know was there! 🤣

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

10 hours ago, sovereignhobbies said:

Me. Dreading it already 🤐

Haha! It's not like you actually have to do anything. VP everything and your Henchmen will have it all under control. I will stop by to really wind you up, promise!

10 hours ago, sovereignhobbies said:

Ach it's ok Darren - it's just one of those things that needs to be done. It's a long weekend of standing with a smile painted on and aching feet and face at best. It's the little things that can irritate beyond reason though, like club wrist banders in early trying to get in about your stuff whilst still setting up and wanting to buy something when the computer is off and the card machine and money box are buried under a mountain of stuff. It sounds ungrateful, I'm sure, but it's hard not to be grimacing thinking "we're trapped here all weekend - can't you just come back after the show opens and we're set up?"

We were accosted by some absolute rocket at teardown last year too, wanting to know if we'd changed formulae because he bought one tin from White Ensign Models 7 years ago and it wouldn't dry but it couldn't be anything he did wrong because his paint stirrer was "awesome". I literally just walked away (with paint rack on a trolley). Another trader reported him to the hall manager and we got a mail from the latter when we got home asking if it needed following up - it didn't - but for sure trading reveals a side to modelling that you'd rather not know was there! 🤣

Yes you do sound ungrateful :)  I'm glad to hear that I am not the only one who gets really annoyed with the set up/knockdown 'customers' who think they are doing you a favour by getting in the way and in the case of the knockdown ones think they are doing you the added favour of taking something off your hands that you have already boxed up. I was extremely rude to one Gent who had been hovering around looking at a particular WnW kit for most of the afternoon and then once we were well into the pack up decided he would like to buy the kit which was now in a box at the bottom of a pile of 4 boxes. Yes, I also sound ungrateful as it's only one customer in a thousand that does this kind of thing but it's SOOOOOOO annoying when you're knackered after having been in the show all day and have probably travelled a long distance with the return leg just ahead of you to look forward to.

56 minutes ago, Grunhertz said:

I'm sure it does Jamie. I remember at breakdown last year you didn't look happy. Now I know why 

No, that's just his default state. If you want to see him really unhappy pester him about RLM65 😂

Duncan B

• Haha 1

I'll probably be there with either the Bomber Command SIG or the Coastal Command SIG.

I'll stay in the Officers' Mess at Cosford (cos I can). 👍

Edited by Romper's Green
  • Like 1

On 16/10/2018 at 22:02, sovereignhobbies said:

It's a long weekend of standing with a smile painted on and aching feet and face at best. It's the little things that can irritate beyond reason though, like club wrist banders in early trying to get in about your stuff whilst still setting up and wanting to buy something when the computer is off and the card machine and money box are buried under a mountain of stuff. It sounds ungrateful, I'm sure, but it's hard not to be grimacing thinking "we're trapped here all weekend - can't you just come back after the show opens and we're set up?"

I sympathise. As a punter there's a strong temptation to pick up stuff when you're supposed to be setting up club tables and you see a lot of it going on during Friday afternoon. I stand to be corrected but it's actually contrary to what the IPMS and TIC require, i.e. no trading during setup hours. The same applies before hours on Saturday and Sunday. With regard to knockdown, that's quite simple, if it's after 16.00, no trading, that's the law and you can politely remind punters of it if they're being a PITA. As for early birds, tell them you'll save whatever they want and come back tomorrow after 09.00. I'm sorry your experience has not been good in the past, it shouldn't be like that, but it has to be said there are some rum buggers in our community.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Romper's Green said:

I'll stay in the Officers' Mess at Cosford (cos I can). 👍

I'd wager you'd get better scoff in the sergeant's mess. :whistle:

• Haha 3

On 17/10/2018 at 08:44, BlackMike Models said:

No, that's just his default state. If you want to see him really unhappy pester him about RLM65 😂

Duncan B

Henchman and I are 99% sure that Awesome Paint Stirrer and RLMman are in fact one in the same person...

• Haha 2