And so it begins.  Got this as a Christmas present from a good friend who thought I'd be able to do it justice, and this groupbuild may be the time to prove whether he was right:)  Pardon the crap photo.  There are parts in the box that will allow you to build a Mk. Vb as well, so the intention is to build either a IIa or a Vb - or both - from 331 (Norwegian) Squadron.  331 (Norwegian) Squadron was established at RAF Catterick on the 21. July 1941 with old and battered Hurricane Is.  After several complaints of the technical standard of the aircraft coupled with low availability of serviceable aircraft, the squadron got factory fresh Hurricane IIbs in the middle of August 1941, and a few days later, the unit was deployed to RAF Castletown.  They didn't stay long, because in the latter half of September, 331 Sqn was deployed to Skeabrea on the Orkneys.   German reconnaissance aircraft (Ju88s coming in at 20,000 feet) were regular visitors, but the lack of effective radar warning meant they were unable to successfully intercept the aircraft.

On 24th October, the crews are told they will be getting Spitfires., and in the beginning of November 1941, the squadron started handing in their Hurricanes for hand-me-down Spitfire IIas from 19 Sqn that had seen better days - apparently they were Battle of Britain veterans.  The last Hurricane left 331 Sqn on the 4th January 1942, and according to the ground crews, the Hurricanes were in a better condition than the Spitfires.  The condition of the Spitfires together with lack of spares caused serviceability and availability problems, but in spite of the difficulties, 331 Sqn is ranked no. 1 in 14 Group for quickest reaction times for scrambles.  In mid-December, 14 Group orders the squadron to deploy four aircraft and crews on a rotational basis to Sumburgh.  The deployment results in 331 Sqn's first "Tally Ho!" on the 9th January 1942 when Second Lieutenant Anton C. Hagerup piloting FN-M/P9440 spots a Ju88 three miles off about 80 miles west of Shetland.  Unfortunately, he is unable to close the distance and the enemy aircraft escaped in clouds.  On the 1st of March, 331 get the news that they will be getting new aircraft - this time factory fresh Spitfire Vbs, and in late April, the squadron receives orders to redeploy closer to the action:  Their new home will be RAF North Weald.

402naoT.jpg

• Like 10
Posted (edited)

I decided to splash out on Master's barrels for these.  The clever thing is that you insert these brass bits, join the wing halves, sand and paint and then you can add the actual representation of the barrels afterwards.

OMsp0D8.jpg?1

And then add paint.  Used Tamiya's lacquer paint for the matt aluminium, and thinned with Tamiya's own lacquer thinner with retarder, it sprays beautifully while giving a smooth fine grain finish.

6S3Fizo.jpg?1

While this is drying, I'll try and capture the parts that are needed to build a Mk. V from this boxing - and feel free to add or correct if I've left something out or got things wrong, and I will correct it.  Anyone who got this release (and I would think the Profipack IIa release is the same ) will see that the sprues are marked Mk I-V, and on page 4, a lot of parts are marked not for use. This boxing will only allow you to make a Mk. V with the external armoured windshield unless you want to modify the kit - the internal armoured windshield is on the sprues.  When Eduard get around to releasing a Mk.V, it will be interesting to see whether they will do separate boxings for early and late or include two fuselages in the kit...

Page 5 - build as per instructions.

Page 6 - I believe the Mk. V used a gunsight with a rectangular glass - part A2 - rather than the elliptical part A21.  Spitfire - The History lists both variants as using the GM2 reflector sight. The rudder pedals should be the double footrest type - parts S24 and S25.

Page 7 - Do not drill holes for the Koffman starter bulge - no bulge present on the Mk. V (see detail C1).  Also retain the features Eduard tell you to remove on the lower C1 and omit decals I7 and I7.  These will allow you to locate and cement parts D66 and D67.  Part R51 is not used - instead use the small boxy controller fitted on the upper left near the instrument panel, which part number I can't find on the sprue now.  Other than that, instructions can be followed.

Pages 8 and 9 are the wings - no changes here, except the chosen colours depending on your subject.  The aircraft were probably delivered with silver wheel wells as indicates, but after a repaint or two it's likely they ended up as under surface colour.

Page 10 - tail feathers - again, no changes.

Page 11 - The Mk. V had metal covered ailerons, so use parts S18 and S21.  The oil cooler was the larger one - parts S9 and S10.  One thing I've found with the Eduard Spits (also the Mk. VIII and Mk. IX) is that the thickness of the wingtips doesn't quite match the thickness of the wings.  For that reason I prefer to join the wingtips to the upper surfaces and  sand away material on the lower wing so that the undersides are flush - or at least a bit better.

Page 12 - no changes

Page 13 - crowbar or not?  Period photos show some aircraft have the crowbar on the cockpit door, and others do not, so check your references.

Page 14 - The Mk. V was most frequently seen with fishtail exhausts.  The bases are S30 and S32  or S5 and S6 if your subject has the additional gun heater pipe.  The location features are handed left and right so you can't mix them up.  The fishtails themselves are S26 and S28.  The longer tails - S28 go on the rear outlet.  Individual exhaust stubs are also included as some Mk. Vs had them.  As for propellers, the Mk. V was typically fitted with a Rotol Jablo propeller or a DeHavilland metal one.  The Rotol propeller parts are S22, S6 (?) and the backplate that matches (sorry, part number lost).  The DeHavilland is the shorter of the pointier spinner - P23, P24 and R34.

Page 15 - IFF wire antennas fitted.

As mentioned - feel free to comment and point out errors or mistakes, but I hope it can help those who can't wait for Eduard to release the Mk. V.

Edited by Jens H. Brandal
Updated with input from Miggers
  • Like 5

Crowbars.

Edgar used to have the Mod. number as to when crowbars were fitted(need to check his notes to see if it's there).

Early aircraft didn't have them,I'm fairly certain the V's,Va,Vb and Vc did.

They were natural steel,silver or grey green(cockpit interior colour)but only red post-war.

A lot of wartime Spit pilots recall them in the above colours,but never red.

Exhaust stubs.

I don't think I've seen a V with single fishtails or tubulars during wartime service,usually the Merlin 45 had the

bigger exhausts(as fitted to the Mk.1/1a/II). Seafire L.III's are often seen fitted with single fishtails on their Merlin 55's.

Obviously,V's converted IX's had single fishtails on the 60 series Merlins

IFF.

AFAIK, V's did have the wires strung 'twixt fuselage and tailplanes,it wasn't until early 1943

that the Mk.III IFF was introduced utilizing a single small rod antenna under the stb'd wing.

Koffman starters:

A Mk.II feature,the Merlin 45 fitted to V's had a starter motor fitted.

Gunsight.

They were originally fitted with the GM-2 reflector sight(oval glass).

The Mk.II gyro sight(rectangular glass)didn't appear in Service until late '43,so a V

fitted with one would be an in-Service Mod.

Edited by Miggers
Posted (edited)

Thank you for the update Miggers. 

Crowbars.  Photos in the Spitfire Saga shows Mk. Vs both with and without crowbars, so it is a case of checking references.  331 Sqn were late in getting Mk.Vs being so far from the main action, although the RAF may have had plans to relocate them when they issued them with new Mk.Vbs.  For that reason I think several Mk. Vs would not have had the crowbars, but they could of course have been refitted.

Mk.V exhausts.  There are pictures of Mk.Vcs (one such example is a photo of one wearing French markings) with individual exhaust stubs, but they were far from typical.

Gunsight.    Wasn't the Mk.II Gyro gunsight introduced in first half of 1944?  Apparently 331 and 332 Sqns were very early recipients of the gyro gunsight to aid in deflection shooting, and they received them in April/May.  The Eduard Mk. VIII kit has a gunsight that has a body similar to the Mk.II kit, so not the square-bodied gyro sight, but has a rectangular glass.

Thanks for the input on the IFF - wires it is then.

Edited by Jens H. Brandal
  • Thanks 1
20 hours ago, Jens H. Brandal said:

Gunsight.    Wasn't the Mk.II Gyro gunsight introduced in first half of 1944?  Apparently 331 and 332 Sqns were very early recipients of the gyro gunsight to aid in deflection shooting, and they received them in April/May.  The Eduard Mk. VIII kit has a gunsight that has a body similar to the Mk.II kit, so not the square-bodied gyro sight, but has a rectangular glass.

Widespread service yes.

Late '43 it began to be fitted,so early '44 they'd certainly be fitted to new and deep serviced aircraft.

IIRC,it was Clive Rowley that mentioned how much quieter P7 was to fly when the BBMF had had a set of

"standard" Mk.1/II exhausts made up and fitted to it instead of the six a side tubulars it had been running on.

He reckoned the cockpit noise levels were appreciably higher on the tubulars,especially in MK356 with the

Packard 266 they'd got fitted at the time.

Slow going here, but I can show how I have done the seat and trying to get that splotchy appearance of the plastic seat.

First, base painting the pan  Saddle Brown and the leather back a matt black.

sZ2GBAq.jpg

Armed with a selection of oil paints....

mEw48b5.jpg

...the seat pans were dotted and left to dry for about an hour.

EKU3V1E.jpg

Then they were stippled with a stiff brush moistened with thinner to remove the excess and soften the dots.  Doesn't come across very well in this image taken with my mobile phone though.

cBXQAbM.jpg

After letting them dry overnight, I brushpainted the back with a very dark brown oil paint to take the edge off the black as well as giving it some sheen and texture to simulate the leather.  A drybrushing of Naples Yellow on the edges simulates wear.  Now the seats will need to dry for a few days before they can be safely handled.  The long drying time of oils is a double edged sword. However, there is other stuff I will be working on.

hofwFee.jpg

• Like 8