With two layers of vinyl gloves on to stop me spontaneously combusting on contact with it I am making a start to this....

IMG_8855_HEIC-600x450.jpg

It’s a typical short run kit from way back when and has been hiding in my stash for so long I can’t remember when I actually bought it.

Now some photos of the contents....

IMG_8856_HEIC-600x450.jpg IMG_8857_HEIC-600x377.jpg IMG_8858_HEIC-600x424.jpg IMG_8859_HEIC-600x416.jpg IMG_8860_HEIC-600x523.jpg IMG_8861_HEIC-600x398.jpg

Let the fun commence.

Duncan B

• Like 8

The larger carburettor intake had an integrated filter in it and was used for European operations too.  I believe most PR.XIs had it fitted, but some aircraft (e.g. PA944 in US markings) had the small, unfiltered intake.

Edited by Jens H. Brandal
Corrections
  • Thanks 1

The MPM kit’s cockpit is a bit basic and inaccurate but in this scale I don’t think it’s going to be a problem. Only after I fettled the rear bulkhead and glued it in place did I realise that it shouldn’t be solid, never mind. I did diverge from the instructions to fit the cockpit as the parts all needed trimming to fit. Instead of building the cockpit up from the floor and fitting to one fuselage side I decided to trim and fit the bulkheads and panel once the fuselage sides were joined together then fit the (non existent) floor.

IMG_8867_HEIC-600x436.jpg

The fuselage parts went together without a fuss due to not fitting the cockpit first. I did sand the mating faces flat beforehand. 

The wings fit where they touch!

IMG_8868_HEIC-600x450.jpg IMG_8869_HEIC-600x450.jpg

I did thin the edges of the wings before joining top to bottom but the edges are still quite thick and will need filling.

IMG_8870_HEIC-600x468.jpg

It’s not a shake and bake kit but it’s a fun kit to build.

Duncan B

• Like 4

Yes, the PR.XI would have had the plastic seat.  I use Vallejo Cavalry Brown as a base, and then stipple it with oil paints of various yellow ochre/brown shades.  In 1:72 and under a closed canopy, you won't see much of that though, so plain Cavalry Brown or similar will do.

The PR.XI at the Gardermoen Museum is Aluminium behind the seat frame.

Canopy frame inside also interior grey green.

Wheel well interiors likely to be undersurface colour.

• Thanks 1

Thanks Jens, I went for a red brown with a black back pad for the seat and the aluminium from behind the seat. Shame the rear bulkhead is solid, now that I know it should be open my eye keeps being drawn to it.

I have filled the gaps on the wing roots and will need to let that harden off overnight.

Duncan B

I have to say there is something rather satisfying about knocking big lumps off a Spitfire with a course sanding stick 😂.

First round of filling and sanding around the wing joints completed.

IMG_8874_HEIC-600x450.jpg IMG_8875_HEIC-600x450.jpg IMG_8876_HEIC-600x450.jpg IMG_8877_HEIC-600x450.jpg

A little Mr Surfacer 500 required in a couple of spots but it’s actually not too bad overall.

The PR XI’s wing without all the lumps and bumps of the fighter versions really shows off the shape. It looks even more like a Gentleman’s GT aero-tourer than a weapon of war though.

Duncan B

• Like 8

I was wrong.  The PR.XI could also be fitted with the original small (unfiltered) air intake.  Have a look at Barracuda Studios Facebook page.  A photo of a PR.XI in US markings - PA944 - featuring the small intake.  So a matter of checking references for the aircraft you are making.

• Thanks 1
9 minutes ago, Jens H. Brandal said:

I was wrong.  The PR.XI could also be fitted with the original small (unfiltered) air intake.  Have a look at Barracuda Studios Facebook page.  A photo of a PR.XI in US markings - PA944 - featuring the small intake.  So a matter of checking references for the aircraft you are making.

I did wonder as I found a photo of the one I'm building and it appeared to have the smaller intake but it wasn't conclusive. I'll go with the smaller one.

Duncan B

• Like 1

Tail feathers, radiators and air intake on. The tailplanes were a butt joint so I drilled and pinned them.

IMG_8882_HEIC-600x445.jpg IMG_8883_HEIC-600x445.jpg

I have given the wing roots and tailplane joints a coat of Mr Dissolved Putty to sort the remaining gaps.

It’s all coming together now so I might be ready for a coat of primer soon.

Duncan B

• Like 3
2 hours ago, Ian Campbell said:

You're to quick for the rest of us, slow down a bit🤭

First time I’ve ever been told I build too quickly 😂. There’s not a lot to this kit.

I’ve had the day off from the bench so I hope that helped.

Duncan B

The kit canopy is not the clearest of clear plastic and had what looked like a drip on the surface. I have managed to remove most of the ‘drip’ but the canopy will need another careful polish yet.

IMG_8896_HEIC-600x450.jpg IMG_8897_HEIC-600x450.jpg

Although it looks like I’ve used a lot of filler the canopy actually fitted quite well. The filler is just blended into the joint.

I have taken the spare prop blades, spinner and disk wheels from the Brengun Messerspit kit to use here as the MPM parts are more like blobs.

IMG_8900-600x450.jpg

I have also fitted the MPM resin exhausts which are quite nicely done.

IMG_8902_HEIC-600x450.jpg

IMG_8901_HEIC-600x450.jpg

Duncan B

• Like 3

Would you like a pair of four spokers to replace those Messerschmitt wheels that Rechlin must've 

fitted to their captured DB engined variant Duncan?

Reinstate the cockpit door too,PR.XI's weren't pressurised unlike the PR.X/XIX.

I think MPM have captured the shape of the PR windscreen pretty well there,those exhausts

certainly look very good for fishtails.

• Like 1
On 03/05/2021 at 10:19, BlackMike Models said:

rather satisfying about knocking big lumps off a Spitfire with a course sanding stick 😂.

I must say that I've never thought of a 109 in that way,but I suppose compared to that legendary

well mannered high performance thoroughbred you have in your hands there,you're certainly not

far wrong in your assimilation,though I'm sure Darren will be along shortly to tick you off about

such nasty accusations.

Edited by Miggers