Tamiya 1/48 Citroen Traction Avant 11CV - Now in Car GB

With it's front wheel drive (which gave it its name) and monocoque chassis, this little Citroen was quite innovative on it's introduction in 1934. It stayed in production until 1957 by which time over 750,000 had been built. Aside from civilian use, it was popular with the French army, and was captured or confiscated in huge numbers by the Germans who used it in all theatres of the war.

I'm going to build a pre-war civvie version using one of the options on the decal sheet but I'm going slightly off piste in that instead of the standard all black bodywork I'm going to attempt a two tone scheme I found on a Google image search. This is what I'm aiming for:

spacer.png

The box. They were very popular with Luftwaffe pilots as they offered a little more luxury than standard issue vehicles.

spacer.png

The plastic. It's not big, but knowing Uncle Tamiya, it is clever.

spacer.png

There are also instructions and decals. I'm already tempted to get another one to do as a military example. Speaking of examples, there's one showing clever Tamiya engineering; the windows (apart from the windscreen) come as a single big clear piecce to be inserted into the body at the last stage before body and chassis are joined, making both construction and painting as easy as possible.

spacer.png

Lots of chrome silver and gloss paint on this one. What could possibly go wrong?

Andy

Edited by Tolvcat
  • Like 2
Posted (edited)

That would have been good, there's some nice detail in there. I'll not go daft on it though as you won't be able to see anything (including my errors and omissions :D )

Andy

Edited by Tolvcat
  • Like 1

Oh bugger Andy, I was just looking at this, this morning, to build next :) (maybe we should swap lists so we don't clash :)

I do like the idea of the civvie version, was also thinking of doing the same... 

Gorbs, The 1/35th version has separate doors, and I've seen pics of the 48th one with a front door open. 

Back to looking at weeeeeeny weeeeeeny kits again :)  

• Like 1
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Mad Steve said:

Oh bugger Andy, I was just looking at this, this morning, to build next :) (maybe we should swap lists so we don't clash :)

I do like the idea of the civvie version, was also thinking of doing the same... 

Gorbs, The 1/35th version has separate doors, and I've seen pics of the 48th one with a front door open. 

Back to looking at weeeeeeny weeeeeeny kits again :)  

I have way too many kits available, so what were the odds? Got a couple to finish then the next two new starts will be an Indonesian A-4 and a StuG III Ausf B, both 1/48. Does that help? :D 

1 hour ago, Gorby said:

They must have had to cut it out as it looks like it's moulded with the body.

Yep, on the weeny one the body is one piece, so open doors will take some very careful carving. Not impossible, but not something I'm going to attempt this time out as I'd also have to carve up the 'glass' piece to match. Unless...

Andy

Edited by Tolvcat
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
8 minutes ago, Tolvcat said:

Got a couple to finish then the next two new starts will be an Indonesian A-4 and a StuG III Ausf B, both 1/48. Does that help? :D 

:) I was looking at the Schwimmwagen, and the Elefant.... ( must be a pub in germany somewhere called the Schwimmwagen and the Elefant :)

• Haha 2
9 minutes ago, Mad Steve said:

:) I was looking at the Schwimmwagen, and the Elefant.... ( must be a pub in germany somewhere called the Schwimmwagen and the Elefant :)

Quite safe then - I've already done the Schwimmwagen (used some Toro Decals to do a captured one) and I don't have an Elefant, it's never really been on my radar. Looking forward to seeing both, your Kubel was very nice :)

Andy

• Haha 1
  • Tolvcat changed the title to Tamiya 1/48 Citroen Traction Avant 11CV - Now in Car GB