dr_g

1:72 Walrus / SeaFox Detail Parts

All,

I've got a Matchbox Walrus in the stash, and am wanting to get a Seafox to go with it. They are nice models, but I'd like to add a bit more detail to the open cockpits. I can't find any specific etch or resin sets, but are there any 'generic' sets containing things like m/g magazines, instrument panel dial decals, gun rails, Lewis guns etc, suitable for aircraft of this era, or is it a case of scratch building?

Thanks.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Grunhertz said:

Not sure but it may be worth seeing what eduard have? 

What would you search for in terms of general items? Nothing for the specific kits that I can see. I also did a search for "Seafox" on Hannants, and it only came up with a vac-form canopy and decals.

Define the terms in the Hannant's search engine. For instance use the pull downs to select Eduard, 1/72, aircraft detailing sets (there's several sub-sets to choose from), then aircraft type in the keyword box. To be honest, if there's anything other than the vac canopies for the Seafox I'd regard it as miraculous. Probably not much help but there's resin and PE detailing in the Valom Seagull/Walrus kits, if you could find out who did them there's a chance you might be able to get hold of a set. There's also various resin Pegasus engines that you can pick up.

35 minutes ago, Paul Brown said:

Define the terms in the Hannant's search engine. For instance use the pull downs to select Eduard, 1/72, aircraft detailing sets (there's several sub-sets to choose from), then aircraft type in the keyword box. To be honest, if there's anything other than the vac canopies for the Seafox I'd regard it as miraculous. Probably not much help but there's resin and PE detailing in the Valom Seagull/Walrus kits, if you could find out who did them there's a chance you might be able to get hold of a set. There's also various resin Pegasus engines that you can pick up.

Thanks, as I said I put "Seafox" into the Hannants search engine and only two things came up.

A while back at Telford, I picked up a couple of generic etch sets for 1:72 WW1 aircraft, that's the kind of thing I'm looking for, but with slightly later parts represented.

2 hours ago, Grunhertz said:

Try doing a generic search for things like Lewis guns? 

Thanks, yes I think Mini World (I think that's the name) do a 1:72 Lewis gun. I might even have got one somewhere.

I guess I could cut up an old p/e instrument panel and use that, along with some plastic card stuff and generic seat belts etc.

For the Seafox, I don't think any detail images of the cockpit exist, so a bit of intuition would be OK.

There used to be this really excellent cottage industry called Aeroclub...

John was active over at the Other Place and still selling some/most(delete whichever is inapplicable) of his product line when last I was there.

Yep Aeroclub does (did) white metal guns, certainly in 1:48 but also think they had a 1:72 range. They also do (did) white metal engines that may be applicable but apart from that I think its a case of a sheet of plastic and a sharp knife, like the good old fashioned days!

Bob

• Like 1

On 30/08/2018 at 19:03, Romper's Green said:

Surely the Walrus used the Vickers K?

Thanks all, yes Vickers K - it turns out that when I looked in the Walrus box I’d already got the resin guns and engine. Must have forgotten. 

On 29/08/2018 at 09:08, dr_g said:

All,

I've got a Matchbox Walrus in the stash, and am wanting to get a Seafox to go with it. They are nice models, but I'd like to add a bit more detail to the open cockpits. I can't find any specific etch or resin sets, but are there any 'generic' sets containing things like m/g magazines, instrument panel dial decals, gun rails, Lewis guns etc, suitable for aircraft of this era, or is it a case of scratch building?

Thanks.

Have a gander at this doc:

http://s197.photobucket.com/user/JJELLIS_PHOTO/library/Fairey Seafox?sort=3&page=1

Cockpit placards,dunno if they're still available but possibly print and cut out a la old Airfix stylee?

https://www.scalemates.com/kits/1005371-plusmodel-c-064-fairey-seafox

Not sure how accurate his internal detail is:

http://www.master194.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=32333

but he does mention this:

Scale Models Vol 6 nr 72

and reckons it was a good article with plans too.

Who do you know that has a good stock of old Scale Models mags?,nowt on E-Bay or out there in thinternet land.

Edited by Miggers

16 hours ago, Miggers said:

Have a gander at this doc:

http://s197.photobucket.com/user/JJELLIS_PHOTO/library/Fairey Seafox?sort=3&page=1

Cockpit placards,dunno if they're still available but possibly print and cut out a la old Airfix stylee?

https://www.scalemates.com/kits/1005371-plusmodel-c-064-fairey-seafox

Not sure how accurate his internal detail is:

http://www.master194.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=32333

but he does mention this:

Scale Models Vol 6 nr 72

and reckons it was a good article with plans too.

Who do you know that has a good stock of old Scale Models mags?,nowt on E-Bay or out there in thinternet land.

Thanks Miggers, I've got the 8 page reference, but hadn't seen the others. I'm surprised there's an instrument panel available. I'd probably make my own using individual instrument decals.

Just need the kit now. Roll on Telford!

• Like 1

9 hours ago, dr_g said:

Thanks Miggers, I've got the 8 page reference, but hadn't seen the others. I'm surprised there's an instrument panel available. I'd probably make my own using individual instrument decals.

Just need the kit now. Roll on Telford!

'Tis indeed a lovely little kit(built it meself eons ago) and quite accurate too I believe.

MB's Shagbat was also very well received when it came out(around 1973/74 IIRC)and was mooted for it's accuracy and finesse.

I remember "Scale Models" featured it back then and reckoned it was light years better than the old Airfix kit,it certainly looks

impressive even now fully rigged up.

That 8 page ref.was the only(and I really mean only)thing I could find with interior photo's of the 'Fox.

Glad it's of use to 'Eee.