sovereignhobbies

Royal Navy WW2 Camouflage Designs

On 9th April 1942, the Admiralty published Confidential Admiralty Fleet Order 679 entitled "Sea-Going Camouflage Designs for Destroyers and Small Ships" which described the principles of camouflage, the appropriate use of standardised camouflage paints and how they were to be used. Furthermore, details are given on how to conceal shadow by use of counter shading. It was particularly noteworthy in that it contained no fewer than 50 colour illustrations of approved, standardised camouflage designs for many classes of small ships in categories of Western Approaches, Light Admiralty type and Dark Admiralty type designs. Following the renotation and rationalisation of standardised paints, which were officially promulgated in Admiralty Fleet Order 2105/43 in April of 1943, the Admiralty produced as a Confidential Book a revised camouflage manual, recycling much of the material in CAFO 679/42 but for use with the new B&G series paints. This new publication, CB3098/43 was issued in May 1943 one month after the new paint colour palette was issued. Like its predecessor, CB3098/43 contained a multitude of standardised camouflage designs for application to small ships using the new paints. Sovereign Hobbies Ltd is about to make both documents available with digitally reproduced illustrations using the very latest information available on the Royal Navy's WW2 paint colours. 

42c539ef-31eb-4541-a208-446d578c5dfc.png

df316aea-a765-4924-9e5d-5b9a9ddeb78d.png

A practical example of the Light Admiralty type Hunt class destroyer design shown on CAFO679/42 plate 54 is HMS Chiddingfold, of which the Imperial War Museum holds good quality photographs of both port and starboard side demonstrating the symmetrical application of the pattern as described in the fleet order text.

https://www.iwm.org.uk/collections/item/object/205120663

https://www.iwm.org.uk/collections/item/object/205145391

Edited by sovereignhobbies

Hi is there a camouflage pattern plate available for U28 HMS Wren a Black Swan class sloop? If so would you kindly direct me to where I can find it many thanks

Evening @DBS88, have a look at this:- www.liverpoolmuseums.org and type in HMS Swan. Personal photos from the Lieutenant surgeon on board Swan, May '43 - September '44. From what I can see, NO camouflage. If you'd like, I will confirm from one of our members, if the information is available.

Paul

My initial reaction was that it would be highly unusual in 1943-1944 to have an UNcamouflaged sloop in a combat theatre. Having watched that video a couple of times, I believe that a standard 2-colour Western Approaches scheme is visible although one has to look carefully.

https://youtu.be/a50PydAw22c

I'm fairly certain it isn't the proffered Modified Black Swan design on Plate 14 of the C.B.3098 1943 edition as the most forward shape is triangular near the bow and looks more similar to Plate 25's design for the Halcyon minesweeper class.

I think the only thing for it would be to sit with some line drawings and freeze-frame the video (and do a lot more hunting for photographs of the correct ship - unlike that on Wikipedia with the wrong pendant number clearly visible!) and sketch out what's visible of the design.

We did finish the C.B.3098 1943 facsimile by the way... https://www.sovereignhobbies.co.uk/collections/royal-navy/products/cb3098-1943

Edited by sovereignhobbies

Is there a camouflage pattern available for U28 HMS Wren a Black Swan Sloop?,  if so please direct me to where I can find it, many thanks

Thank you for the replies, i will follow then up. In the meantime my hunt for photos and information on HMS Wren U28 continues, so any photos, drawings, plans etc that may be of use would be greatly appreciated. I am using them to build a six foot working model of Wren, hopefully in camouflage as she would have been in 1943, thank you in advance for any assistance

Hi,

HMS Wren is wearing something a bit different to the proffered standardised design, but what I could offer you is blank outlines of the Black Swan class to sketch in what is visible in the various frames in the above video. You might be able to piece enough of it together. These smaller vessels most commonly wore designs which were symmetrical port and starboard at this point in the war so unless you find something to disprove that, you should be safe enough just figuring out the one side you can see.